Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my auto hubs seem warn and keep popping out with quite large bangs.

i was wondering if i manually lock them will i do any adverse damage to them?

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
154 Posts
Short answer is no! But in saying that if they are letting go then the clutch mechanism has ****e itself and you should either replace the auto-hubs or change them out for manual ones.

·
Registered
73 Posts
when they bang there foobared been there broken em in the worst spot imaginable and spent hours getting car back out went to manuals never missed a beat since

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
my auto hubs seem warn and keep popping out with quite large bangs.

i was wondering if i manually lock them will i do any adverse damage to them?
When you go 4X driving you are supposed to manually lock them. They are screwed because they haven't been manually locked.

Indeed, when correctly used and maintained "Auto" hubs are as good as the manual ones. The reason they have a 'rep' is thru misuse (in most cases inadvertently) too much grease, wrong diff oil etc.

The "Auto" selection is for lazy mans one off use such as tooling along a track and coming to one little bog hole or creek so to save you climbing out to 'do the hubs' you throw the tranny into 4H or 4L and go thru, select 2WD on the other side, reverse the vehicle to disengage the hubs and fart off again.

The "Man" selection is if you are doing ANY serious 4WD work then you manually lock the hubs and they stay locked in forward or reverse till you manually climb out and unlock them.

Fanging around backing and filling or rolling in and out of challenges with change of direction of rotation in "Auto" causing the hubs to occasionally disengage and then reengage under significant loads is what rounds the teeth off on the Auto Hubs and the symptoms you describe.

Cliff and Ghost are probably correct in that they are 'fubar'. Manually locking them won't hurt but they will probably still let go.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
35 Posts
Had the same drama with mine, changed them out to manual's and have never looked back i got mine off Fast (member on here) for $90.00 they were genuine nissan and havent skipped a beat.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
When you go 4X driving you are supposed to manually lock them. They are screwed because they haven't been manually locked.

Indeed, when correctly used and maintained "Auto" hubs are as good as the manual ones. The reason they have a 'rep' is thru misuse (in most cases inadvertently) too much grease, wrong diff oil etc.

The "Auto" selection is for lazy mans one off use such as tooling along a track and coming to one little bog hole or creek so to save you climbing out to 'do the hubs' you throw the tranny into 4H or 4L and go thru, select 2WD on the other side, reverse the vehicle to disengage the hubs and fart off again.

The "Man" selection is if you are doing ANY serious 4WD work then you manually lock the hubs and they stay locked in forward or reverse till you manually climb out and unlock them.

Fanging around backing and filling or rolling in and out of challenges with change of direction of rotation in "Auto" causing the hubs to occasionally disengage and then reengage under significant loads is what rounds the teeth off on the Auto Hubs and the symptoms you describe.

Cliff and Ghost are probably correct in that they are 'fubar'. Manually locking them won't hurt but they will probably still let go.
x2....Well said and best advice.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks heaps for your advice guys. it's makes total scene now

anyone in brisbane have a set in bris i can get next week wen i get home? i'm going away next weekend and i need to fix them ASAP! :)

·
Registered
nissantigq 1996-7
84 Posts
do a web search on ebay for : 4wdhubs10
I recently got a pair of brand new auto hubs for $ 155.00 +postage, they did have a buy it now price of $290 on at the same time .
bazz8:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts