Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, have had some SERIOUSLY BAD LUCK with my car (and my back) and have a rather bizarre issue to resolve:

When the vehicle is put in gear from neutral the engine starts hunting (ranging from 150 - 400RPM) and then stalls. If the engine is in neutral idles perfectly.

Put the clutch in, it still idles perfectly. Move the gear stick to first and it starts hunting (with foot still on the clutch), will hunt for 3-6 seconds and blow black smoke (unburnt fuel?) and then stalls.

If you move the gear lever back to neutral normal idle resumes....I've not driven the car (the mechanic has it) but he says it drives really nice. Suspect a vacuum hose not connected properly somewhere but where??

The History:

1. New injection pump at the start of this year and EGR and catch can fitted. was running well. Boost and EGT fitted at the same time.
2. Blew a head gasket about a month later. Had been using water for approx. 12 months so not particularly surprised. No damage to pistons.
3. I Fitted a new head with new injectors and new glow plugs (old ones were not damaged/faulty but replaced with steel tip ones anyway)
4. Was driving beautiful (and idling) though had a small water leak between front of cylinder head and front engine housing which got worse over a 3 week period and had to fix prior to full failure.

Removed housing, which is a pain in the bum, had to remove sump. Sump can only be removed by separating engine and gearbox. Half removed gearbox and realised it was too hard that way. Put gearbox back in and removed engine from vehicle.

While doing this repair, put in a new clutch plate - DID NOT replace dual mass flywheel only clutch plate.
5. Reassembled and took for test drive, no issues at all. drove really well, idle properly good power etc. Drove for about 40 minutes in traffic and made two stops as well.
6. Pulled up in driveway, just about to turn off and HORRIBLE SOUND proceed by engine stalling. started engine but engine was locked. :(
7. I hurt my back working on car at this point (having surgery on my back in mid September so not able to work on vehicle at all/go to work/have a life etc). Gave vehicle to mechanic.
8. Turned out the bolt on the end of the camshaft holding on the timing sprocket had
sheared (I had torqued this bolt correctly)...Pistons smacked valves etc. new head stuffed!
9. Mechanic fitted new head (pistons ok) and test drove and came to drop car off to me at same time. At this point mechanic realised was not idling when put into first and had rather large oil leak on rocker cover (suspect oil coming up between glow plug and the seal around it). Mechanic currently had car

Any thoughts????

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,595 Posts
There is a switch on the manual gearbox which tells the ECU you have put it into gear, there are several things that happen, one being a message to the VP44 which raises the ICV% around 4-5% (at idle mine is 55%, foot on clutch it stays the same, the moment I select 1st gear the ICV goes to 59%) I'm not sure what this means in total but that switch does impact on the engine in a few ways.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

You may also want to check the vac hoses to the solenoid valves at the front of the IC as well as the hoses that go to the main shut off butterfly and swirl valve (swirl valve on it's own is not a major concern unless it doesn't open and then that would only effect you above 1250rpm).

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,595 Posts
Thanks Geeyoutoo, will check hoses. But what's the icv%?
It's Idle Control Valve, shows up on an ECUTalk and it's a part of the ECU control, this was just an example of what effect the neutral switch on the gearbox has.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i would disable the swirl valve.
if that fixes it you have a blockage in the air intake or inlet valves.

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
It sounds suspiciously like the main butterfly valve and the swirl valve hoses have been swapped around?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,595 Posts
Whitie, you were right. Thanks for everyone's help, now drives like a dream.
A good lesson in care needed to be taken when working with the vacuum hoses!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
18 Posts
It sounds suspiciously like the main butterfly valve and the swirl valve hoses have been swapped around?
Thanks Whitie....I know this is an old post but it pulled me out the ****. Had trouble starting mine when cold so change the glow plugs, didn't help :headwall:. Some more info on here about vacuum hoses leaking causing an issue were spot on. Problem was that I got the hoses to the swirl valve and shut off valve arse about. Did what Whitie said...problem solved. Thanks Whitie and ALL the people on this forum for some very useful advise.:victory:

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted Davo65. Lots of people are mucking it up lately. Not to mention the amount of people that don't read thoroughly and remove the shutdown butterfly instead of the swirl control butterfly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts