Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some info for anyone looking at going camping around the Jamieson-Woods Point area. Got back from three days relaxing (?) and decided to come back a day early due to the plague proportions of March Flies. These bastards were out in full force in the mornings and evenings, and this morning, we would have killed at least 100-150 of the buggers before 11:00am. The numbers seemed to be increasing, is this because March is approaching?

Also got bitten by another bloody big bullant to boot. :-x The last bite on Australia Day had the skin peeling off my finger a month later. One of its mates is currently in a jar to be used for research. :D

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
We have done that before round there.. seeing who can get the most dead Marchys in a stubby bottle...

The weather is the issue, mozzies are going to be a massive vagina soon too if th weather picks up

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Its friggin mental! On Aussie day, everyone ended up having massive welts all over the bodies from them.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen them this bad before. Usually when they're at their worst, it's during the day, not in the mornings and evenings. There were no bush flies, bugger all of those small black shytes that come out in the evening and none of the microscopic bugs that follow the smoke around, just swarms of Marchies.

Cheers

Ray

·
On a mission
2013 Ranger
1,672 Posts
I was on holidays last week and went down to the South East (Mt Gambier). Noticed a shit load of dragonflys cruisin around aswell. Called into Beachport on the way home and got bogged on the beach.
As i was digging the car out i got severely raped by march flies. After 4 hours they had a good feed and im still feeling it...
They were unbearable but i had to put up with the farkers coz i wasnt goin anywhere quickly..

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You have to teach your dog to eat them ! I used to have an old dog that would take them off your leg beautifully. You could barely feel her whiskers. It was great sport for her.

·
Registered
nissan
401 Posts
I thought it was just me....

We had a family holiday meet up at portsea about 2 weeks ago and the mossies were bad, The march flies were just unbelievable.

We all got bitten numerous times, The worst bite I had was on the mossie bite from the day before, Which led to me having a minor infection in the days following.
I had forgotten how painfull the bites can be and how huge those damn things were.

We used vinegar for relief and to avoid infection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts