Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Dumb arse move... what about speedo error?
what about when your tyres wear out??

Margin for error on speeding reduced to zero Alexandra Smith
March 25, 2011
MOTORISTS have always been kept in the dark about the leeway given to drivers caught speeding, but a leaked cabinet document reveals the secret 3km/h tolerance that has been given to speeding drivers will be axed.

It could mean thousands of motorists are fined for travelling just a couple of kilometres per hour over the speed limit.

The tolerance level is a margin given to motorists who exceed the speed limit as ''a benefit of the doubt'', but the Roads and Traffic Authority has always refused to reveal the leeway, citing ''road safety issues''.

A leaked report from the budget committee of cabinet, dated December 9 last year, says the 3km/h tolerance will be removed. It says it will axe the ''internal and undisclosed tolerance as applied by the State Debt Recovery Office to digitally captured infringements as notified by the RTA''.

One senior Sydney policeman said the revised margin of error was so small that a new set of tyres or the width of a speedometer needle could land motorists on the wrong side of the law.

A spokeswoman for the RTA refused to confirm the tolerance and said it was a matter for the State Debt Recovery Office. A spokesman for the Treasurer said the office enforced policies set by the RTA and the transport department.

While NSW has always fiercely guarded its tolerance, the Victorian government revealed in 2007 that its tolerance level was 2km/h for fixed speed cameras and 3km/h for mobile speed cameras, plus a discretionary tolerance.

Australian design rules used to allow for a 10 per cent tolerance either way on car speedometers, but now the rules only allow for the tolerance above the actual travel speed.

The cabinet report, obtained by the Herald, also reveals that the committee endorsed the ''accelerated roll-out of digital safety cameras by the Roads and Traffic Authority to be complete by June 2011''.

The RTA is replacing red light cameras with safety cameras, which can detect motorists who run red lights as well as those who speed, regardless of the colour of the light, at 200 sites across the state.

About 100 of the cameras have already been installed, all of them in Sydney

Margin for error on speeding reduced to zero.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
pure money grabbing crunts, like 2 kph or 3 kph would make any difference to safety, thats less than walking pace

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
What a complete joke. A disgrace. How long can they keep peddling this as road safety? I would be more than happy to pay more in my taxes to cover their money grab than being taken for a complete idiot that when going 2km/h, I have endangered lives. On the evo, 2 x widths of the needle is 5km/h and I'm convinced that I spend more time watching the dash than the road.

I just hope that no one cops this and takes it to court for being 2km/h over. How can that hold up with the variables that have already been described?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just hope that no one cops this and takes it to court for being 2km/h over. How can that hold up with the variables that have already been described?
you need experts to come to court which cost 1000's each. Prappo bloke in my bike club tried beating speedcameras back in the late 80's with experts.. He had to pay for laser experts to prove he wasnt doing 212. he gave up of couse.

the courts know people cant afford this sorta ****, so they have open license.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
you need experts to come to court which cost 1000's each. Prappo bloke in my bike club tried beating speedcameras back in the late 80's with experts.. He had to pay for laser experts to prove he wasnt doing 212. he gave up of couse.

the courts know people cant afford this sorta ****, so they have open license.
Depends on your background and the circumstances though. If you have a pretty clean slate you have an extremely strong case. Fixed speed camera's do infact have a great deal of inaccuracy with them, hand held lasers are a diffeent story. To convict you in the courts they have to do so beyond doubt that an offence has been committed. I'm far from a lawyer, but its such a fine tollerance that the laws would have such a tough time in holding it up

Going to court takes effort - all the rigmerole and time off work. I think they bank that most people couldnt be bothered with that and that $105 is easier. I dont thnk your necessarily need to have expensive legal defence to put a strong case forward.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
WTF! I hate this topic. ADR allows your speedo to be out by a certain percentage (can't remember what it was) and that should therefore dictate what allowance you can have for detection and booked speeds. For anything other than that, all vehicles that don't have a speedo that is right on the dot, should be deemed unroadworthy!

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
there was actually a peice on the news earlier this week about a report from an adelaide university did on traffic accidents and speed cameras causing them. This was asked for from the government and once they found out the answer of yes they do cause accidents they cut funding and buried the report.

along with the other fact that there are that many speed cameras how can they keep them all maintaned to spec. each car is going to be out on the speedo by a certain amount which is rubbish and means no one is really safe unless you are doing 10 under.

common sense should provail but wont because there is too much money to be had, not to go back into ungrading roads and making them safer for road users and tax payers. but to line the pockets of the greedy ****ers that claim to be puting it back...

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Victoria has probably the toughest speed laws in the land as far as I can see, now please correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't 2010 a significantly worse year for road fatalities in Vic than 2009 despite the tougher laws?

Just a money grab by Bureaucrats. There is not that much I admire about the US system but they elect almost all their officials, that way they pay more attention to what the public says and feels. Wouldn't that be nice.

Drove for 6 months on their freeways in the mid west last year and did not see 1 cop with a radar gun or a camera the whole time, but, was there a big police presence on the highways? bloody oath YES.....

Did I see lots of fatalities and accidents? NO! (but when they do happen they are big, just through the sheer volume and sometimes adverse weather conditions).

In a 70mph zone you could sit just under 80mph all day and night with no worries, and most people did that, sure there are the foolhardy who want to push the envelope but we all did it at some time and there is very little that will stop that surge of testosterone, but put a cop in a car in plain view patrolling the highways and the problem is minimised.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
They need to start at the cause with better driving training and licencing tests. I got 100% on my hazard perception and driving test. I stopped twice at a stop sign because I had to, I parked once at VicRoads office and that was it. Yarra Ranges in 2009 had the worst road fatalities in the State and the licencing is probably why if that is all we have to go through.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Victoria has probably the toughest speed laws in the land as far as I can see, now please correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't 2010 a significantly worse year for road fatalities in Vic than 2009 despite the tougher laws?

Just a money grab by Bureaucrats. There is not that much I admire about the US system but they elect almost all their officials, that way they pay more attention to what the public says and feels. Wouldn't that be nice.

Drove for 6 months on their freeways in the mid west last year and did not see 1 cop with a radar gun or a camera the whole time, but, was there a big police presence on the highways? bloody oath YES.....

Did I see lots of fatalities and accidents? NO! (but when they do happen they are big, just through the sheer volume and sometimes adverse weather conditions).
Correct, just about the only places you will find speed cameras where fatalities occur is on arterial roads, and those crashes tend to be caused by fatigue, vehicle unroadworthness, distraction and intoxication, not speed. Speed cameras cannot pick up these things.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Well the number with the red circle around it is a limit. Just stay under it, not on it. :D

Like it makes a difference to me anyway. I modified my number plate to a james bond model.

They do though need designated areas on main roads where 10kmh over is allowable over a 400metre distance. So you can overtake morons infront who dont know how to drive - having a conversation and they forget what their foot is doing, not realising they are on a hill and it takes them 3 seconds to realise you need more throttle for hills (driving a 2.8 it really frustrates me :lol: )

Or their should be part of the law that says a pit manouvre is allowable if you thought the person infront was no good to society :D

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Problem is police presence costs more than fixed speed cameras, and they are far more lucrative for the consolidated revenue line .....

Seems to me staying 10km/h under is the only sure way of avoiding such blatent money grabs.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Problem is police presence costs more than fixed speed cameras, and they are far more lucrative for the consolidated revenue line .....

Seems to me staying 10km/h under is the only sure way of avoiding such blatent money grabs.
However that infuriates everyone behind you.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts

Problem solvered, raise all the speed limits by 10K and then drive 10k under.............

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
GU2 there is too much money to be made unfortunately. That will never happen.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GUTourer said:
Problem is police presence costs more than fixed speed cameras, and they are far more lucrative for the consolidated revenue line.
Agree, 1 donut eater + car = **** loads compared to 20 speedcameras.

I think it was South Aust that now actually include the revenue from cameras in their budget. The problem was that figure wasnt high enough, so more cameras was the answer.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
On Bradman Avenue, Maroochydore, 2 days ago (60k zone) there were 7 cops + 2 cars + 2 radar guns (one in each direction) and they were there for several hours. Now the number of deaths (forget speed related) on this short stretch of road is "0".

There is a so called dangerous section of the Bruce Hway near Cooroy (not that far away) where the speed limit has been dropped to 90 because people can't watch what they are doing, fall asleep, overtake on blind corners, now couldn't at least 2 of these cops have been assigned a meaningful detail that could have resulted in the possibility of a life saved or at least a police presence to educate drivers, rather than a bubble gum money raising exercise.

Have seen this same piece of stupidity played out by patrol commanders on the main drag through Gympie, so we can screw around either side of a black spot, just don't go there and do anything meaningful.

This is my point.

In the meantime frustrated drivers risk their lives when caught behind local farmers doing 60 on this 90 section.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
From memory the victorian mob is already privatised? Correct me if I'm wrong here?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts