Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and didn't find much, so apologies if I'm blind and/or demented.
I have a '00 td42t gu with a 3" lift. At the moment it has nolathane caster correction bushes. It's due a bit of a freshen up as I put them in about 10 years ago :roll:
I would like to go back to std rubber bushes and drop boxes with my std radius arms as I've heard this will help with suspension ride and compliance (I don't do a lot/any hard offroad work anymore).
These drop boxes seem reasonably priced and don't need welding. Any opinion/experience with them?
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Didn't know the did them but many others do and yes the ones that require no grinding are the go, none should need welding unless your making them yourself.

Shlt 10 years out of Nolathane bushes is an achievement.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah like I say I don't do much 4wding any more and when I did it was more touring. I still like driving the old girl though and aint getting rid of her anytime soon :)
She still drives OK but does need a freshen up and I've only done 140k km in the last 10 years, 237k km on the clock.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
They should be OK to use, but will change your caster by one degree more (drop boxes usually quoted for 3-5" lifts, so the hole is accurate for a 4".

You'll get slightly heavier steering but I run mine this way and it's no problem.

Might pay to check how much your springs have sagged, as you could actually only have a 2" lift left. In this case the drop boxes may not be a good idea.

Reactions: warthog

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ACM.
The marks ones are supposed to suit 3-4" lifts so should be OK. My patrol still looks a lot higher than a std one despite the springs being over 10 years old. Might be a good excuse for some spring spacers.
What will be the effect if it has sagged to bu99ery and only has a 1 or 2" lift left. Will the steering no longer self centre and/or tram line?

What is with the spammy green hyperlinks btw :?
They seem to be there when you aren't logged in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
From my recent research, they appear to be the same as the Roadsafe Drop boxes. And pricing is in line with what others are charging for them as well.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Thanks ACM.
The marks ones are supposed to suit 3-4" lifts so should be OK. My patrol still looks a lot higher than a std one despite the springs being over 10 years old. Might be a good excuse for some spring spacers.
What will be the effect if it has sagged to bu99ery and only has a 1 or 2" lift left. Will the steering no longer self centre and/or tram line?

What is with the spammy green hyperlinks btw :?
They seem to be there when you aren't logged in.
To understand the effect of caster, think racing motorbike versus chopper style. The chopper has way more caster and hence slow, heavy steering and a great ability to track in a straight line over uneven road, while the racing one has fast, nervous steering and can dart offline easily. A unicycle is the extreme, it has zero caster, and merely pressing a pedal will turn the wheel, allowing it to turn on a pinhead.

When you lift a Patrol without correcting caster, you move towards the unicycle model, causing much twitchiness and lack of directional stability. a 3" lift will always be bad in a Patrol, a 2" can sometimes bo OK still because the patrol has such wide factory variations.

If you have no lift and put the drop boxes on, you will have more caster, a smoother front ride, much heavier steering, excellent self-centreing and directional stability, and much more understeer.

Hope this gives you the idea.

To work out how much caster the drop boxes will provide, it's 1 degree per inch. Measure the distance between the hole centres of the drop boxes and you will have the answer. Marks should be able to give you that exact measurement. I'm confident it will be 4" as that allows for 3-5" lifts with 3" and 5" caster being out by one degree which is usually acceptable. I think only a very few "slimline" drop boxes are made with 3" hole spacing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Two weeks ago i changed from castor correction bushes to standard rubber bushes with drop boxes from performance suspension. Big improvement in front end ride and far less twitchy through bumps. Definitely recommend changing over.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nev thats good to know and is the prompting I need, I've got to do it. The old nolathane bushes are looking a bit perished around the edges. It still steers ok but its time I did a bit more maintenance rather than just oils, filters, grease and valve clearances. I did the coolant and transfer case recently but need to freshen up the front end and repack the bearings. Holidays in a month and I'll put her up on the chassis stands.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead and ordered these.
From the page; Nissan Patrol GQ & GU Drop Box - MFK20115

•The gear box cross member spaced (down approx. 8mm) improving pinion angles

I'm guessing I will need to go to the local bolt supplies and grab some bolts that are 8mm longer?

I've got the new std radius arm bushes, anything else needed?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Standard bolts on mine had plenty of length to securely bolt up the drop boxes, but I have heard of people snapping bolts getting them out before.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Standard bolts on mine had plenty of length to securely bolt up the drop boxes, but I have heard of people snapping bolts getting them out before.
Thanks mate. I'll have a look when I get them out.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
I took mine out of my then 6 month old Patrol, and stripped the threads of at least 3 of the butter bolts due to a bit of red dust buildup. Pretty [email protected] quality bolts. I also bought a tap to run through the captives just to make sure the threads in there weren't damaged further.

From memory they are M12 Fine (M12x1.25). A good bolt shop should have them, but they tend to sneer a bit when you mention metric fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My car is 14 years old so roughly the same. Didn't strip or snap any bolts but a few of the bolts were pretty thin in the shank from rust. Will be replacing them with new ones before tensioning up as they will snap next time for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Nev. I look after the old girl pretty well and it's always garaged. They might be ok but I'll prob replace em to be safe. I'll see what the local bolt mob have/say.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Bolts snapping is one thing but what you dont want happening is the captive nuts inside the chassis breaking off like ive had happen before.
Once you get them out run a tap through them and use new bolts with a liberal coating of anti sieze on the thread and on the shank.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 97 Posts