Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. Im in a possition at the moment of taking a volantary redundancy as my current employer is trying to go back to day shift only and I am considering taking a package and taking up a trade maybe in plumbing or roofing. Just chasing anyones thoughts, experiences etc. Im 35 years old with two pre school aged children who will need to be put in fulltime care and I have a home loan to service and im not sure if this will be possisble on an apprentice wage. Because i am in the textiles industry at the moment there is a raft of government insentives for me to take advantage of thanks to the government lifting tarrifs in my industry which I will be finding out about tomorow at a meeting with a local employment agency. Just wanna hear from anyone who has done a mature age appreniceship, how they coped on the low wage and whether it was worth it for where they are now in life etc. cheers all

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
Im in the process of finishing an apprenticeship now. Im 34. My wage is fixed for the 4 years of the apprenticeship at a touch over $20/hour, only $4 less than i was getting as a qualified diesel mechanic....

With o/t i can easily take home $1800 a fortnight, thats enough to get me by .Very soon ill be going to a much higher wage so things will get easier from there. I work in the Airline industry and have completed a diploma in aerospace engineering, maybe this pays better than mainstream trades, i don't know.

It's hard a times to just shut up when you're watching a senior mechanic do something wrong..i have nearly bitten my tongue in half a few times.. guess im lucky that mosy guy's already treat me like a tradesman and not a young apprentice. So there is hope mate, go for it!!

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
My current apprentice is 51. He is not that fast but his work ethic and reliability is fantastic.

My boss only goes for mature age apprentices, haven't had a bad one yet.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
mature age apprectices are on alot more than a regular apprentice. so the pay strain isnt as bad as as normal but i aint to sure how good it is.
if you can get into a striving area in major need of your services i cant see any reason a reasonable wage isnt doable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm doing a mature aged electrical apprenticeship. And the deal with mature aged is you start at 3rd year rates and stay on that until your 4th year. The government gives you about $800 a year Im on $19 an hour and take home about $730 a week without o/t and with my wife's wage that's enough to cover the morgage. What apprenticeship are you thinking of doing?

·
Registered
nissan
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing a mature aged electrical apprenticeship. And the deal with mature aged is you start at 3rd year rates and stay on that until your 4th year. The government gives you about $800 a year Im on $19 an hour and take home about $730 a week without o/t and with my wife's wage that's enough to cover the morgage. What apprenticeship are you thinking of doing?
Im looking at plumbing at the moment

·
Registered
147 Posts
How old do you have to be to qualify for 'mature-aged' apprenticeships?

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
I am also looking into doing an apprenticeship at the age 39. How does it all work? Do you get signed off on competencies and if so by who? Is it possible to fast track and do it in under 4 years?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
Depends on what you're doing, none of my previous trade was recognised as i was starting a cert IV and my Diesel trade was certIII .Had to sit in tafe with all the young blokes talking about modifiying their 4wds and cars, for four years.... who wants to talk about that ****!
Call your state apprenticeship mob..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts