Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, I'm heading down to the Victorian High Country in December & I wanted to make sure I have the ability to recover myself from any predicamant that I may get myself into. A set of Max Tracks or TREDS was high on my wish list but the price they were asking for them I just couldn't justify, so I came up with these, I call them "Ricks Tracks", total cost $70 (8 water drain covers from 'Masters', and some zip ties.
I tied 2 together side by side as I couldn't get them any wider than 100mm, to give a total width of 200mm X 1100mm long, much the same as the Max Tracks & TREDS, but for less than 1/4 of the cost for 4 treads! The more zip ties you put on the better grip you will get, make sure they are good quality zip ties.
I have tried them in sand and they work a treat, I'm pritty sure they will work well in the mud too.
Have a great day guys

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Sorry mate but the 70 bucks would have been better off going towards a set of maxx traxx or treds, there is not enough for the tyres to grab on to for traction if anything flat wet plastic like that will make it worse. If you look at a set of maxx traxx there pattern has points on them so that the tyre lugs can get grip and the maxx traxx bite into the ground. Some of the Vic high country tracks are not the place you want to be testing out homemade bits of gear either. Full points for thinking out side the square though

Reactions: Rick111

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was a little dubious about the marketing of them (Maxtrax), however after seeing them in action first hand, I had approval from the Handbrake to get a set there and then.

We were over at Canunda National Park in SA, and were attempting to drag a 60 series Cruiser up a dune he was unable to get up. Our GU Patrol ended up bogged to the sills, and not going anywhere. Our group happened to have two sets of them, and we dug them in front and rear, and I was amazed, the GU just drove straight out. Now that's no mean feat, when the GU has 6" Lift, 35" tyres, and was well and truly over GVM, would have been close to 4 Tonne. Right there and then, the wife and I both were in furious agreement that we would be buying a set, and I can tell you that doesn't happen very often !!

Maxtrax - Take the easy way out emoticon

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max Tracks / Ricks Tracks

Thanks for all your responses guys, I'll take all comments good or bad. As for the grip, if you can see I have put zip ties right along the top in alternate positions, if I need more grip I'll just put more zip ties on. This weekend I'm going out to try and find some mud (hasn't rained here for some time), I'll try to get it on video and see how they go. As I said I have tried them in sand and they work a treat.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Thanks for all your responses guys, I'll take all comments good or bad. As for the grip, if you can see I have put zip ties right along the top in alternate positions, if I need more grip I'll just put more zip ties on. This weekend I'm going out to try and find some mud (hasn't rained here for some time), I'll try to get it on video and see how they go. As I said I have tried them in sand and they work a treat.
yeah, give em a go mate....gotta be better than shoving sticks and rocks into the mud;) They may or may not work....nothing ventured nothing gained I reckon! Please let us know how you get on.....be great to see some photo's of them in use....even if they don't end up working well!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick's Tracks Up-Date

:(Well fellas to reply to all your comments, I tried them out in mud on the week-end and to answer the question, they did work ONCE, I did get it on video but I can't seem to upload it, however they fell apart in the procces. Once the wheel spin started it tore off the zip ties, but if I had my zip ties I could have tied them back up but thats a pain so I have decided to by 2 sets of TREDS from RVTEK for the great price of $170 a pair. Yes I rang TREDS head office and they will honour their lifetime warranty if buying from E-Bay but you must show proof of sale & register.
I thought this idea might have worked, well it sort of did, it did get me out because if I didn't have them I don't think I would have got out on my own.
Driordon, you were right I should have spent my money on TREDS, so now I am, it was worth a try I supose. Thanks', Rick.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Full points for effort :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,528 Posts
Best copy of an original product I have ever seen Rick. The R&D was impecable. I could not spot the difference between it and the original product. You dont happen to have a factory in China by chance? You could easily sell 1000 units:)

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re- Rick's Tracks

Thanks guys for your replies. The thing that really killed them was the wheel spin, which TREDS & MAX tracks advise to keep to a minimum. As I said i am now purchasing the TREDS as they give a LIFETIME warranty compared to MAX Traks 2 year warranty. I really think after my experience that even the MAX Tracks will fail after a few years, which is why I think they only give a 2 year warranty.
After handing over my hard earned money, I would much rather have the security of knowing mine are covered for a LIFETIME. Of course the other problem is usually things under a specific warranty will fail after the 2 year period, even if they have never been used.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, but you make up your own minds.

Note: RVTEK have a special on at the moment $199 including Freight: Tred Total Recovery Extraction Device Pair 1100mm RED 4x4 4WD MUD Trax Gear | eBay

$179 + postage, cheaper if you live in SE QLD: TRED - TOTAL RECOVERY & EXTRACTION DEVICE PAIR 1100MM GUNMETAL GREY 4X4 4WD GEAR - Tred

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
If you're coming down to the Vic High Country and plan on using them. I wouldn't bother. I've never seen them used in Vic and would imagine the only time you'd use them here is the odd boghole.

Save a couple more pennies and get a winch and least you can use that on shale and slick rock.

How do treds/maxtraks go in soft black mud? I thought they would just get swallowed.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
I would much rather have the security of knowing mine are covered for a LIFETIME.
Don't get to caught up with the warranty stuff mate the LIFETIME warranty is only on manufacturing defects and workmanship which would be noticed the first time you use them. If you unlucky enough to spin a wheel on one and damage it, you probably won't be covered.

Having said that these things have been around for a while now and you don't hear of to many issues with them.

Enjoy the High Country wish i was going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts