Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We're thinking about heading to McKillops Bridge (Snowy River NP, NE Vic). Does anyone know the area?

We're looking to head somewhere for a relaxed week with by some water with the wife & kids around 5-12(ish) Jan. Main focus is just to chill out, somewhere for our kids (5 & 7 yrs old) to ride bikes and play in the water is essential. We were tossing up between coastal and river and thought heading inland might get us away from some of the crowds.

Can anyone advise if the McKillops Bridge camp ground would be suitable, or can you recommend better alternatives? We'll be coming from Melbourne.

Is the river there suitable for young kids (not strong swimmers)?

Cheers,

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Bloke in our club runs a group up there every year for xmas. Good spot for families he says, but depends how many other groups your willing to put up with :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I looked into Croajingalong NP too. Book n pay type camping only. I was offered the last site in the NP - one at Peachtree Ck, but it's well back on an inlet, only 8 sites in the campgnd, but also a boatramp and sizable parking area. I decided it's prob too busy with boaters and we'll be too far back away from the beach. I think some of the other campfire within Croajingalong look better for our purposes, but are fully booked.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What about Talbotville on the Crooked River?

Tom Groggin is a ripping spot aswell, however you have to pay to camp on the NSW side.

Although With all the rain aswell, you might not be able to get across the Murray either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
GU Duke,

The camping at McKillops Bridge is very ordinary. It is very hard to find flat ground, especially during a busy time. It has also been quite dusty. There are several considerably nicer spots just past McKillops Bridge heading towards Bonang. However these generally do not have any facilities.

Apart from that I can not think of too many places in the immediate area. Talbotville and Sheepyard are nice spots. However tend to get very busy during the holidays.

We just got back from Bindaree Hut after arriving on boxing day. That is a nice little spot by the Howqua river. That sounds like it would tick most of the boxes that you are after. However like most sites, it could be all taken.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
I tend to agree with Harps, but also try up towards Suggan Buggan, there was a nice spot on the river behind the old school house. Also consider Willis near the border, camp spots along the snowy R. This country tends to be dry and not much grass around.
Very spectacular country and the bridge is impressive if you havent seen it before.
Regards paul

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
As for tks, Mt Tingaringy was hi lite on a recent trip, though tk from west was very steep ( had difficulty getting up after overnite rain). Tk from east via Dellicknora is easy.
Check border cairn about 800m nth from summit along a disused tk, (easy walk). Also the Tingaringy Falls is about a 15min walk, though steep.( not the signed 50min).
Ingeegoodbee tk upto Mt Meenak has good views. Deddick trail has some good views and very nice bush. Both these tks can be challenging depending on conditions and can be done in a loop. Deddick return via Bonang , Ingeegoodbee return via Limestone ck rd and Wulgumerang. Both good days drives.
Have had to it 2 messages, as when I do in 1 message and then submit reply it logs me out, Anyone any ideas why?
Paul.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Feedback!

Just an update in case any are interested in the area as a future destination:

On recommendation from Paulh (thanks) and the local ranger, we ended up camping at Wilis (on the Border - Barry Way, 10km or so Nth of Suggan Buggan) instead of McKillops Bridge. Both campgrounds are quite similar, except Wilis has much better access to the river. We were camped right on the old 'high tide' mark for the Snowy (before 90% of the water dissapeared into the hydro scheme), which made it about a 80m walk across the sand to the river - fairly shallow, sandy and a reasonable (but still gentle enough) current - perfect for the kids. McKillops is more like a 150-200m scrub bash that would leave you sweaty and needing another swim by the time you walked back to camp. Both are fairly open campgrounds, good space between sites, fairly quite with a long drop. Unfortunately, there isn't a scrap of grass in either.

A few pics are attached of the campground area, and some of an interesting drive we did out to Native Dog Flat (via the main road) and back via The Cobberas Trail, McFairlanes Tk and Ingeegoodbee Tk. Great Drive (very steep in places). A bloke driving a lifted and twin locked Troopie tried to talk us out of it about 1/4 of the way in - he had just had to do substantial track building to get up a hill and told us that we had that sort of climb out in both directions once we descended to river level. We quietly thanked him for his advice, refrained from pointing out the subtle differences between an extra long wheel base leaf sprung troopie and our GU, and headed on. After a quick stop to admire the massive rashes he had left on the rocks in several places before doing adequate track work; we picked a (different) line, walked straight over the area that had caused him grief and continued on. Admitedly, it would have been harder uphill though. It's a great climb out the other side too (Mr Yota advised it would be just as hard), and not advisable with current track conditions, without some lift, descent tyres and winch (or at least hand winch) to get you up the hill. Definately preferable with more than one vehicle too. One picture is with the Cobbera's in the background. No action shots sorry. :rolleyes: The black and white and the scenery shot were taken from the Helipad on Ingeegoodbee Tk. Its all pretty spectacular scenery and some fantastic camping spots along the way. We could have happily spend several days on that 50km odd worth of track.

We also wend for a drive up the Deddick Trail (the iconic track in the area). Due to time (slept in and spend too long watching the coffee perculate on the fire - life is tough sometimes...) and downed trees, we only went up about the last 10km from McKillops then came back down. I think this might have covered the 'staircase' which from my reading hasn't resembled a staircase for years (bulldozed). It's a damn steep track, recommended as Sth to Nth only (from Yalmy Rd to McKillops Bridge) as it isn't as steep in this direction. It's damn steep in spots, with a plenty of loose rocks - plenty quite big. There was a bit of wheel spinning on muddies without the front locker switched on, so I can see why it isn't really recommended 'uphill' (particularly not for fairly standard vehicles anyway).

It's a beautiful part of Vic. It's quite remote, so it's pretty quiet, even in the middle of summer holdiays. Plenty of great, very secluded, remote campsites; good tracks and great spots just to sit in the river with a tinny or two. Highly recommended! We'll probably take a club trip back there in the next year or so, and the missus is already talking about it again for next summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Duke, it is great country up that way. I know the exact spot you took photo on the Cobberas track!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Duke, it is great country up that way. I know the exact spot you took photo on the Cobberas track!!
Yep, I thought the spot just looked made for photos, and the well placed rock looked perfect for an articulation shot, but it was unfortuantely only half as high as it needed to push the articulation. We got some good scenery shots regardless!

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
GU Duke

Glad to see you made it up that way, and glad to be of some assistance.
I see you found the look out on that little spur on the deddick trail, got a shot just like yours. Did you check behind the old school house? if so whats it like? We did the Ingeegoodbee tk opposite direction to you, we had to get up that gnarly bit in the wet. Got up ok though. That camp at Willis looks better than I remember.
Regards Paulh

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you check behind the old school house?
Didn't figure out the exact spot - behind the school house looks like you'd be in someones back yard and almost on top of their house! Closer to the river than that was very long grass, so not really suitable when we were there. There is a designated camp area w long drops in Suggan Buggan just over the river and on the other side of the rd fr the School house, which looked great except for the 20 odd cyclists plus support vehicles already there when we arrived.

We did the Ingeegoodbee tk opposite direction to you, we had to get up that gnarly bit in the wet. Got up ok though.
I wonder if that track has gotten worse. Someone on the Defence bulletin board just posted picks of his GU stranded on those rocks (going uphill) at New Yrs. Apparently a bit of wheel spin and he slid straight off his Lin into the ruts and bellied out on the rocks. Took the 2hrs to get out and up that 5m long pinch apparently!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts