Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I damaged my oil cooler recently and need to replace it.

I have access to a large (ex truck) full flow oil to water oil cooler/ heat exchanger
( same principle as the Mocal/ Laminovar units)

I like the idea as it would increase water and oil capacity and brings the oil up to operating temp much quicker

My concern is. Will it effect oil pressure?

I can hook it into the bottom radiator hose and use the existing oil cooler lines or plumb the oil in from elsewhere (oil filter head?)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

Anyone?

Bit more info maybe.

It is a large Oil cooler/ Heat exchanger from a Scania 144 hydraulic brake retarder. It holds about 2 litres of oil and 3+ of water.

Same principle as these but a lot larger http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/laminova-oil-to-water-coolers-174-c.asp It is a full flow system

I can run the bottom radiator hose through it and connect the existing oil cooler lines to it with some reducers.
My concern was if being such a large unit it will reduce oil pressure?

I can't see why it should, but as there is a fair bit of fabrication and rerouting hoses etc involved I just want to be sure before I start on it.

Anyone had anything to do with anything like this?

All advice appreciated

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,367 Posts
Does it have some kind of thermostat to shut it off when its warming up or shut off when the extra capacity is not needed? I'd be worried about the oil being too cool. Once the whole system is filled the pressure shouldnt be affected at all, as long as the flow isnt anymore restrictive than standard.

But I'm no expert though.

Whats the price on a new oil cooler? Sell the big truck one to finance the new patrol one?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,799 Posts
I really do not think its worth it in the long run but I understand the concept and the reasons. I would stick with the standard version from Nissan or order a higher spec oil cooler from a leading manufacture. I spent a little time going over the idea and the pre test for the modification all ready out way's the cost of the oil cooler.

You could slap it on and try but unless you can collect the data on how it's performing against a standard version it would be to much of a risk. I'm not really a risk taker on such items. I rather go to the workshop floor with the results,concept to say it works. In this case I can not see the benefits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.