Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was just wondering on your appinon on Mickey Thompson MTZ and the Maxxis Bighorns??

i know they are simular but is one better then the other never used maxxis but there tread seems to look better then the MT'S..:D

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I have owned both, both are great, but the Maxxis are around $100 cheaper per tyre.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
hey mate,
i have 33" maxxis bighorns , work great , road noise is a yes , love the mud , have been through quite a fair bit , they will get you through anything , the reason i bought them is that i only got them instead of the mt's is the price , and apparently the mt's are harder to balance , because of the rubber compund or somthing not sure though. both are very good though.

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Both are great tyres. The Maxxis are way ahead on price and do everything a Mickey Thompson does. Did I mention that Maxxis is way ahead on price?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
128 Posts
Do the last as long as each or does one wear out quicker????

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ SWB
110 Posts
what are they like on beach sand? Any good?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
tyres

can anyon tell me whats they think is better mickey thompson mtzs or goodyear wranglers love to here all your thoughts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been working with 4wd tyres for 9 years and the maxxis arnt that good they are cheap but they don't last as long and don't balance good either spend the extra money and get somthing hard wearing but also quality made ike my personal favourite GT Radial

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
quality made ike my personal favourite GT Radial
LOL. I have seen 100s-1000s of rigs running Maxxis but I honestly say I have never seen ONE rig running GT radials, not even in 4x4 mag or on the net!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
gt radial are on heaps of cars but not really 4x4 yet but they are starting to they are bringing out. tread like patern ike the simex centrpede but wider the good thing about gt radial is they have. lifetime garrentee no if's no but's. maxxis are cheap that's why there are so many around

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
gt radial are on heaps of cars but not really 4x4 yet but they are starting to they are bringing out. tread like patern ike the simex centrpede but wider the good thing about gt radial is they have. lifetime garrentee no if's no but's. maxxis are cheap that's why there are so many around
Can you link to this centipede style tyre?

This is the most aggressive I can find...

GT Radial - USA Manufacturer and supplier of top quality tires. Offering a complete range of tires

·
Registered
71 Posts
there is no link yet cos it won't be out till mid next year. I run adventuro mt 305/70/16 and they are great I have driven 25,000km and only wore of 3.6mm with still 10.5mm to go now that's value and they are only $275

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am changing my MTZ's for something else. I thought I would do more mud driving but as we dont get much rain around the Perth area, all I do is tear the sh&t out of them, still at 50% but the wheel wobble is unbelieveable. You mountain mud runners over east would get the most out of them. I think over here we need something suited for rocky shale type 4wding.
I certainly havnt looked after them either, when I need grip they are great, I am just a bit to slack to let the air down a bit.

·
Registered
nissan
692 Posts
can anyon tell me whats they think is better mickey thompson mtzs or goodyear wranglers love to here all your thoughts

I wouldnt put wranglers on a trailer there crap. Over priced wear out quick cut up bad on the rocks. I would get the MTZ, Bighorn or BFG muddie.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
mate is running bighorns, im running MTZ's both seem very similar off road, MTZ's seem quieter but the bighorns are fitted to a tractor.. i mean 75series lol.

im happy with the MTZ's so far, but i will probably go for bighorns next because they seem to do the same job and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
I'm running the maxxis bighorns, love the tyre, and the price. I did a search online on every big name brand and the results were very average across the board. Didn't find a bad post for the bighorns and at a saving of up to $150.00 per tyre I bought six of the buggers.

IF there wasn't anything else left to buy for the rig I might of gone down the big name road , but there is a stonking great list, and the $900.00 I saved is heading towards an intercooler!

Cheers Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts