Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
My suggestion, just run the factory filter, do not run any additional filters with the injector pump you have.
They do not like any kind of fuel restriction, unfortunately seen this a few times where it has hurt the feed pump leading to issues.
does that still apply if running a lift pump

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Sorry dumb question, my car has recently been hard to start in the mornings, especially the longer I leave it the harder to Start, bellowing white smoke for the 1st 15 seconds, once run for 30 seconds sounds fine and do have carter lift pump back near fuel tanks and can't seem to find any leaks

·
Registered
nissan
5,807 Posts
Yep, I would never run extra filters even with a lift pump.
Do you have a more technical explanation for this?
It's been shown many times that pressure and volume are substantially increased with a lift pump so that should more than compensate for the fuel restriction issues you cite.

Additionally, the Fuel Manager system has a far superior water separation ability compared to the factory filter so gives an earlier warning of potential bad fuel (which is worse for your pump) and also serves to prolong the service life of the factory filter when used as a pre filter.

·
Registered
nissan
5,807 Posts
Sorry dumb question, my car has recently been hard to start in the mornings, especially the longer I leave it the harder to Start, bellowing white smoke for the 1st 15 seconds, once run for 30 seconds sounds fine and do have carter lift pump back near fuel tanks and can't seem to find any leaks
Try glowing it a bit longer.

·
Registered
nissan
3,014 Posts
Possibly if the weather a bit colder it may cause that, can try a little static timing.
It is typically either a timing related issue, glow plug function issue or just cylinder pressure issue.
My personal car will do this even on a 40deg day, but that is simply how I have the motor setup, and the fact that I run very very low static timing for what it is.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,173 Posts
I have discussed the issue of fuel filters with Oldmav, and his method of testing them was to look at the pressure drop across the filter. In my case, even with a lift pump, it was too restrictive in his opinion. After I modified it there was a much better result, but it shows that off the shelf stuff may not be suitable.

Even the factory filter can be improved to reduce pressure drop. I modified one for Oldmav to test, and after testing it and declaring it an improvement, he fitted it to the ute in place of the stock one. To my knowledge it is still on there.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Possibly if the weather a bit colder it may cause that, can try a little static timing.
It is typically either a timing related issue, glow plug function issue or just cylinder pressure issue.
My personal car will do this even on a 40deg day, but that is simply how I have the motor setup, and the fact that I run very very low static timing for what it is.
Yeah odd,as it's only fairly recent I'll have a fiddle over the next few days, or pull my finger out ideally and gauge it to see where it's at , I believe pump builders said .64 or .68

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I have discussed the issue of fuel filters with Oldmav, and his method of testing them was to look at the pressure drop across the filter. In my case, even with a lift pump, it was too restrictive in his opinion. After I modified it there was a much better result, but it shows that off the shelf stuff may not be suitable.

Even the factory filter can be improved to reduce pressure drop. I modified one for Oldmav to test, and after testing it and declaring it an improvement, he fitted it to the ute in place of the stock one. To my knowledge it is still on there.
Yeah saw that mod looked good, don't have spare filter to mod at this stage

·
Registered
nissan
5,807 Posts
Interesting test done with varying load on a dyno and then adding a Fuel Manager as a 2nd filter then adding another Fuel Manager as a 3rd filter to test fuel restriction.. with no lift pump.

·
Registered
nissan
3,014 Posts
No worries, knock yourselves out with the extra filters.
But I don't see the point of a video of a common rail pump, with a different style lift pump in it , and electronics to maintain certain fuel delivery.

·
Registered
nissan
5,807 Posts
Been knocking myself out for years with my pre filter, main filter and lift pump and still no issues. I’ll bet my left one I’m not the only TD42 owner doing this.
Still waiting for your technical explanation of why your pumps have issues with fuel restriction.

The simple point of the video is that it clearly shows that the 1st additional filter has no I’ll effect at all and the 2nd pre filter starts to show a vacuum reading that would be equal to a main filter needing to be changed. It’s pretty clear that the Fuel Manager 30 micron units have really minimal restriction.

VE pumps should be able to pull fuel from the tank through the filter quite happily with a negative pressure in the line. A lift pump will supply a positive pressure measured and proven through a main and a pre filter so why are your pumps having fuel restriction problems?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Yeah well I'll wait abit on the filter idea, I added an eight of a turn on the fuel screw as i was trying some different things, didn't try static and starts abit easier, wth is that possible

141 - 156 of 156 Posts