Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gals & any that identify as either on any given day,
I have some tired old Milwaukee tool batteries. Lasted over 8 years of daily use/abuse. Excellent product.
So i watched several utube vids on dismantling the batteries, and replacing the cells.
I tried this yesterday. I replaced the cells with Milwaukee cells from a good battery that had broken circuitry.
Soldiered in the replacements.
So, upon time to charge the newly refurbished units, when i put them on the charger, the light was red for a few seconds, which is normal, then went to a full green light as if to say the battery is fully charged. Its flat. So l tried the "jump start" method, to put some charge in it to get it started past the low voltage cut off.
No go. The charge level lights work, soooo......
I have no idea.....
The cells i used are a higher capacity, from a 5amp battery, and i put them in 2amp battery. Is this the problem?? Does the electronics in the 2amp units not recognise the 5amp cells?? The old cells were 18650 mah, the new ones are 21865 mah.
Any advice much appreciated .

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,771 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,000 Posts
Yep
That’s the short answer
The bms is calibrated for the smaller batteries and now it’s confused.
You will need the circuitry from the old cells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan patrol
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately with today’s technology it’s more difficult to do what used to be

Is it worth keeping the good 22850 cells, is there any way to charge them without the case & electronics, or just bin everything?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,000 Posts
Is it worth keeping the good 22850 cells, is there any way to charge them without the case & electronics, or just bin everything?
I’ve been looking for a way too.
I bought a led torch off eBay that takes one of those cells.
They did sell a charger but silly me didn’t buy it because I thought it was just a AA battery, doh
Now I have a flat battery

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
Buy one of these charges all types of batteries Ebay
iMax B6AC 80W RC Lipo NiMh Digital Battery Balance Charger Discharger Control

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,156 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,057 Posts
Hey guys, gals & any that identify as either on any given day,
I have some tired old Milwaukee tool batteries. Lasted over 8 years of daily use/abuse. Excellent product.
So i watched several utube vids on dismantling the batteries, and replacing the cells.
I tried this yesterday. I replaced the cells with Milwaukee cells from a good battery that had broken circuitry.
Soldiered in the replacements.
So, upon time to charge the newly refurbished units, when i put them on the charger, the light was red for a few seconds, which is normal, then went to a full green light as if to say the battery is fully charged. Its flat. So l tried the "jump start" method, to put some charge in it to get it started past the low voltage cut off.
No go. The charge level lights work, soooo......
I have no idea.....
The cells i used are a higher capacity, from a 5amp battery, and i put them in 2amp battery. Is this the problem?? Does the electronics in the 2amp units not recognise the 5amp cells?? The old cells were 18650 mah, the new ones are 21865 mah.
Any advice much appreciated .
My old man suggested to try using an unregulated 12v solar panel to charge my old makita batteries once, so I tried it.
I had a couple of batteries that would no longer charge via the battery charger so I made up a couple of flat sheet metal 'probes' to slide into the battery terminals and hooked an unregulated 12v panel directly to it (careful to get the polarities right).
The batteries probably only charged to 2/3 or 3/4 capacity but they did charge. Maybe that's all the charge the batteries were capable of accepting?
It's probably a big no no to do this, and it's a pain to have a panel out ready to charge with, but it did work.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is this the one?
Or if you need something else to buy to keep you ammused during these boring times at home. Try Hobbyking.com I have brought a heap of radio controlled gear from them. Some has been good some has been just OK. But generally the price is good for the non brand name stuff.

Could even make your own LIPO pack if your wanted to. In my RC's I may have made some of there FLight batterys expand. But I have been drawing lots of amps from them.

·
Registered
Nissan
524 Posts
The batteries are well worth keeping as they can be used as individual cells in newer battery powered equipment. Manufacurers are gradually switching from AA/D cells to 18650 Li cells for torches, radios, e-cigarettes etc. Very easy to charge,BUT be careful. Dont leave them on an unregulated charger unattended (eg Solar panel). You can easily purchase simple and cheap chargers online, Jaycar, Bunnings etc. You can also sell them on ebay etc, as many hackers like to make up battery packs from individual cells.
The problem with most commercial Li battery packs is that they are very carefully protected such that if anything goes out of spec, they are designed to purposely blow a tiny inline fuse that prevent any further use of the pack. This is a safety issue as Lithium batteries can easily explode and/or catch fire.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Lithium battery’s come in many different forms. The common LiPo battery used in Radio Control hobby stuff are the cheapest type. And the most delicate. I have blown up a couple. But they have been abused, by dragging big amps out of them. And the odd over discharge.

LiFe and what ever the other type is. Are quite reliable. And take a heap of abuse. They also don’t expand and catch fire.
They also aren’t as cost effective for hobby items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts