Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have the distance between shock mounts front and rear for the GQ when it's sitting on the bump stops?

I want to find out how much i need to extend my bump stops.

Cheers,
Trav

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
need to measure that yourself as everyone has different springs and shocks fitted, jack it up with spring out and go til shock is compressed with couple inches spare then measure where u need to extend bump stop to

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
you can also get this measurement by undoing the bottom mount of your shock and compressing it up until it is fully compressed then measure from your shock eye to the shock mount and that will be the maximum distance you can have between your diff and the bottom of your bump stop.

Remember though that your bump stop is designed to compress and take some of the hit so factor in some compression into your bump stop and add an extra inch or 2 to the bump stop extension.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Dont forget compressed coil lengths too as sometimes coil bind can occur before bump stop compression on coils with lots of windings.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
need to measure that yourself as everyone has different springs and shocks fitted, jack it up with spring out and go til shock is compressed with couple inches spare then measure where u need to extend bump stop to
i'm talking about shock mount to shock mount. when the car is sitting on the bump stops. this will be the same on every gq coil patrol.

i ended up doing it myself (i was just trying to save time). i took both coils and shocks out then lowered the chassis onto the bumpstops. then measure pin mount to pin mount

for those interested, the rear it is about ~445mm. therefore your shocks min compressed length has to be less than this or else your bumpstops need extending.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Digging up the past But does anyone know the front measurements . I want to make extensions and risers etc before I go fitting everything.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Like it was mentioned you should really check your own vehicle but these are the measurement i recently did on a gq wagon with 3" superior superflex hybrid arms.
Bump stops compressed to 100mm
Shock length 385mm
Coil height 185mm
You will need to take into account the shock rubbers so add 30-40mm to you minimum shock length.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I havent ordered any yet. Been busy with a newborn. Project was meant to be finished before the last one was born two years ago.
Ive decided on running the 2" cruiser shock in the front and that will need a coil of 500mm freeheight. Which as you know is possible with a light spring rate.
Just waiting to hear back from the guys at ironman as they have been doing heaps of revalving in the past 12 months. They have finished their patrol shocks and are just starting on the 80 series.
Hopefully i can get something nice out of the box. But keen to play with them down the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like it was mentioned you should really check your own vehicle but these are the measurement i recently did on a gq wagon with 3" superior superflex hybrid arms.
Bump stops compressed to 100mm
Shock length 385mm
Coil height 185mm
You will need to take into account the shock rubbers so add 30-40mm to you minimum shock length.
Thanks I am making my own shock tower risers and bump stop extensions I just need to get somewhere close enough with the bump stops..I can do the shock towers to suit once the bump stops are in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts