Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gday folks. I just picked up a pretty clean 1994 GQ 4.2TD. I drove it 4 hours home yesterday and am stoked with how well the old bloke I bought it off has it running. One thing I need to address is the mirrors on both sides are wobbling around so you cant really see properly using them. The black housing is still but the actual mirror isnt. Short of purchasing another full set is there a fix someone knows of that I could try? Thanks for your time. cheers. - Ben

·
___BTDT___
42,515 Posts
Welcome mate, sounds like you got a good one. lots to read here, post up a pic.

·
just a good guy.
7,703 Posts
If they are electric mirrors good luck finding replacements . My brother had a Nissan wrecking yard and most that came in were broken too. New ones are very scarce and pricy if you can find them. 6 years ago I bought a new one for the drivers side on my GQ and paid $275. Here's one on eBay for sale. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Y60-RH-Electric-Chrome-Mirror-Assembly/352409893300?epid=23021619697&hash=item520d4439b4:g:E74AAOSwj3BbUXA0 for sale from patrolapart. On a side note when my drivers side got broken I just siliconed it in a position that I could see .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome will try the silicone first thanks Guzzute. The chrome mirrors look good but $600 for a set is a bit steep

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 92 with electric mirrors. They were wobbling like crazy when I got the truck.

The electrics / motors are fitted to the back of the physical mirror in a plastic housing. This plastic housing is then fitted to the fixed steel bracket by 2 little plastic hooks and one screw. With one of my mirrors the screw had broken the plastic part it screwed into and the other mirror had broken one of the plastic hooks.

I disassembled it, then bonded the plastic housing to the steel bracket with PU (And S/S wire to be extra sure where the plastic brackets were broken). Been solid as a rock for years (And of coarse the electric adjustment works, the electric adjustment is between the plastic housing and the mirror itself, not between the plastic housing and the steel bracket) and have been over lots of corrugations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you havent sorted this out, i got 2 mirrors that are in good shape. you can have them for free but you need to pay the shipping from Norway to your country :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another answer is getting early Gu mirrors. I put a set from a 99 Gu on to my 92 Gq
They sit out by about 5mm and had to solder the old mirrors plug onto the new mirrors but works a treat.
Also best to hack 5-10mm off the locator pin on the GU mirrors. I did this with a hacksaw
First pic is for reference of the wiring
20190518_142840.jpg
15652531399971040829873251997227.jpg
15652531814438675258743793074611.jpg

Hope this helps somone

·
Registered
319 Posts
As others have mentioned it is the connection of the motor to that housing that has broken. I fixed mine with cable ties. There is just enough room to get in there and firm up the mount with a couple small cable ties. Did this about 5yrs ago and havent had an issue since.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The mirrors are fairly easy to operate on,there is a #2 Phillips screw accessible vertically in the centre of the casing,run your finger along under the mirror and you will find the aperture.Remove this screw and the mirror will come out allowing access to the pivot.Mine had a broken hook which allowed the mirror to flop around so I cleaned the area with a small file and devcon-ed it into place,like new.I found opening the window made this job easier,standing beside the car

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only wish that's what was wrong with my mirrors . where doesthe screw mounts in underneath the housing was broken on both mirrors. The nylon that would spread apart had just had enough

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just fixed mine by putting a screw into an unused boss, looping some wire around the internal metal frame, i then put the mirror back in and could pull the mirror into place by twisting some long nose pliers.
This only works if your outer top hook/tab is the one thats broken.
So now i have the top inner hook, bottom screw, and this wire all holding the plastic motor housing to the internal mirror frame.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts