Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says is it recommended to use different airboxes and snorkels from different companies? eg.. fatz aibox with radius snorkel.
Or is it a safer bet to keep them all from the same company knowing they have been designed to work together.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In my opinion, it doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that the snorkel fits and seals nicely into the intake hole in the air box.
The design of some air boxes will necessitate using a custom snorkel eg the patrol docta one that comes in through the bonnet, but if it’s designed to fit into the standard spot then use whatever takes your fancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,703 Posts
Make sure it is a flat panel filter, not a dodgy round or pod type - my 2c.

And then make sure the two different types bolt up together easily. I think buying them from the same place would help a lot with this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stumbled across this airbox a few nights ago and it really caught my attention.
Don't want to rearrange anything under the bonnet since I have dual batteries.
I am chasing a forward facing snorkel with ram head which they don't seem to offer which has brought about my original question of mixing brands.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am chasing a forward facing snorkel with ram head which they don't seem to offer which has brought about my original question of mixing brands.
If you’re chasing the stainless look then take your pick of custom snorkels. Or if you like the classic look, safari do a good poly snorkel with ram head. The only thing to consider is that the air box you’re looking at has 4” inlet but the safari snorkel I’m pretty sure only has 3 1/2” outlet, so you’d need a piece of silicon reducing pipe between the two. But it’s easy enough to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Airbox looks ok, as long as the filter is not too small - I did not see a size specified.

I would call them to ask about a ram head on it, as it is only a small change.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As the title says is it recommended to use different airboxes and snorkels from different companies? eg.. fatz aibox with radius snorkel.
Or is it a safer bet to keep them all from the same company knowing they have been designed to work together.
It doesn't matter, as long as they are sealed properly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Airbox looks ok, as long as the filter is not too small - I did not see a size specified.

I would call them to ask about a ram head on it, as it is only a small change.
Finally sent buds an email and this is the filter part number wa829
Genuine Wesfil Air Filter WA829 Fits MAZDA 929 3.0 for sale online | eBay
I believe this is the ryco equivalent. A488 | Air Filters, Oil Filters and Fuel Filters | Ryco Filters | Automotive Filters
They also do a forward facing snorkel which i couldn't find on the website.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
That filter is 233 x 202mm.

The LS1 filter that is commonly used (and I believe the original filter that was used for development for the Patrol) is 288 x 228mm. That is quite a difference if you are interested in airflow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They did say they have multiple 250hp customers using the airbox. Now I am not going anywhere near that power lever as I have just recently had the factory 11mm rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
They did say they have multiple 250hp customers using the airbox. Now I am not going anywhere near that power lever as I have just recently had the factory 11mm rebuilt.
How much hp or KW you make is not the issue. It is about reducing resistance in the intake. Resistance in the intake will cause your turbo to starve for air, and this reduces the turbo response. A 4" intake with an LS1 sized flat panel filter will provide your turbo enough air for it to do its job - it is there to compress the air, it is not supposed to be sucking it through the filter.

Smaller filters do work, as the standard one does, and all the pod filters you see used. They all work, but they are not the best design. If you are paying out a lot of coin for a snorkel and airbox, it may as well be the right design. My 2c anyway.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,734 Posts

I think the question that needs to be asked it what kind of power were you running prior to the rebuilt pump and what power are you hoping to get with these upgrades? Remembering it’s a factory rebuilt pump, what turbo have you got?

These answers will determine the general max power of about 130kw regardless of 4inch air supply. As an example have a look at my sig. I’ve upgraded most things bar the factory Airtec snorkel and still running a nearly maxed factory 11mm pump and get 125kw. The air box I run is a fatzfab copy with pod filter.

Sky’s the limit on suggestions but tbh any air box is going to be better than the factory one.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,121 Posts
Interesting discussion, But i am sure i have written enough about this subject, here on this forum.

Firstly the air box isn't all about what power you can a run or a statement like " they have multiple 250hp customers using the airbox" that's just silly. But if they had said we have multiple 250hp customers using the airbox and snorkel with less than .5inch Hg resistance through out the rpm range then i would say great airbox.

A free flowing airbox is free power and torque with best possible response, spool and transitions from your turbo and fuel level its all about driveability or in this case free drivability..

I cannot tell you if the bubs airbox does this as i have not tested it. But i am sure it works just like the STD airbox it's a simple question of how well it works.

Sure the bigger the element the more air it flows and the probability it will have less resistance values but that is not the end of it, the design of the airbox and its induction piping (including snorkel) has a significant bearing on how well it works.

You need to keep in mind the dynamics of how air gets to the inducer of the turbo's compressor. If the inducer has to suck more than .2 inches of Hg vacuum then you are reducing its ability to pull air in and compress it. Which leads to less compressed volume which is heated more producing even less volume. Remember i have not mentioned boost pressure here as its not about psi its about density. Hot air can make psi but with less volume or less oxygen per cubic inch so less oxygen per psi going into your cylinder so less torque/power per stroke. Not to mention a whole world of engineering dynamics i could blow your mind with, that can short live your turbo.

So i will make this even simpler The better the airbox even with diminishing returns is free torque/power better response, faster spool, higher afr's for the same fuel injected. Its worth the expense of a better airbox and snorkel (with a bloody ram head).

I have tested radiusfab panel airbox amongst a few others on a flow bench and it's pretty damn good, not the best design by a long way but not to shabby. I have tested pods in a box systems many times, they flow very well even better than a gen3 panel in a box. But they are very restrictive when it comes to air accelerations like when the turbo is spooling or transitions which is driveability.

Remember here they all work even the std airbox with a super sucker very large compressor inducer can over come the airbox to produce 200rwkw's, but trying to tune that beast for reliability and driveability is a mission beyond me.

In conclusion I will make a few assumptions for this discussion. I know exactly what a Radiusfab airbox flows and its resistance per pound of air absolute into a 4.2 litre diesel during spool or air accelerations during spool to 3800rpm. Your Buds airbox is the same basic design with a smaller panel hmmm significantly smaller panel. I will let you make your own conclusion!
But i am a purest, things like engine space and batteries under a bonnet are not my priority, i will move them elsewhere, where they belong for free drivability and free torque/power.
If you must and its your rig, and i do understand, fit the Buds airbox so you are not inconvenienced with the pain of moving the coolant overflow system and the second battery back a bit, The airbox will work just fine. Its still better than most other custom systems out there. I am sure Bud designed this system for exactly your perceived need including the over the roof cool snorkel with a cool looking Buds company logo stuck in the mouth of the snorkel intake stuffing the whole bloody air induction system at it source..

See i even got to write a wall of text and more importantly i got to have a rant as well. Now i am happy!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts