Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went wheeling the other weekend and got a wee bit bogged, was pretty abusive to the car to try and get out as i had no way of recovering myself, anyway in the heat of the moment something went bang and i lost drive to the front wheels :( the front drive shaft is still turning so i belive its broken somewhere between the front wheels. What is the most common part to break? CV`s, hubs? and whats the easiest way to work out what and where its broken?

Also after finally finding someone to come pull me out and washing the car for about 1hour at the servo and driving home the steering got progessively worse car pulling all over the road real bad, felt worse than a broken spring u bolt (cheked them they all good)
The next day i decided to put some grease back into all the steering joints cos i blasted the underside with a hi pressure cleaner for ages to get the mud off and prolly got alot of grease out in the process, greasing has helped alot but it still pull a fair bit more than before my mud adventure.

Anyone got any suggestions? could it be the bush in the pitman arm thingo (think thats what its called, that bit at the front thats bolted to the chassis cross bar that hits most things) also i have seen some pics of people who have removed that part of the steering is this what a Hi steer set up is?? im thinking of going down this path cos then there will be less moving parts to break/dammage and better approach angle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
your will have to mostly disasemble the ends of your diff to find your broken item(s). wether its cv or axle, your going to have to pull them right apart to work out either. you may have smashed your king-pin bearings too, you would also notice this whist getting the cv out.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Does the steering wheel feel right?
The MQ & MK have a problem with the front spring Hanger tearing away from the Chassis.
Happened to mine just recently and I had read about it before this too.

Ric

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Would be a diff or a CV. Those 2 are the weakest in the front. Spring hangers had nothing to do with no front wheel drive.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Would be a diff or a CV. Those 2 are the weakest in the front. Spring hangers had nothing to do with no front wheel drive.
Yeh I know......But he is also talking about steering being stuffed too. That is what I was referring to.

Also after finally finding someone to come pull me out and washing the car for about 1hour at the servo and driving home the steering got progessively worse car pulling all over the road real bad, felt worse than a broken spring u bolt
Ric

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
steering goes funny or it just jams and you can only turn one way if you do a cv.

I would look at cv's 1st but, As nerok said you have to pull the front end apart to get to the cv, or axle

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah steering is still not 100% but is heaps better since i re greased the front end, hopefully ill have time next week to pull it appart not looking fwd to doing this again :(

Ric, which side of the spring hanger usually goes? front or back? Ill had a quick look but couldnt see anything obvious.

Car makes funny noises from the left side when i turn around right hand corners, could be a bearing kinda sounds bearingish, im hoping not as i just replaced all of them a couple of months ago, perhaps it has stuffed a king pin bearing. its hard to hear these noises as it only does them whenever it feels like it and its on the other side of the car so i cant hear properly, im hoping its just bits of dirt i couldnt wash out falling into the wheel but im doubting thats the problem.

If the CV is gone and it has dammaged the king pin bearings (appart from the dammaged king pin bearing) would this be an issue and or cause more problems if i keep driving it short distances as the MK is alot more practical for driving around than my Dirtbike?

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
if the cv goes it should not wreck your king pins.
Cv's snap the bearing can fall out and jam the steering.
drive it just take it easy, and make sure the hubs are'nt locked in. Just ajack up of the front wheels and a good wobble will tell you a bit

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Yeah steering is still not 100% but is heaps better since i re greased the front end, hopefully ill have time next week to pull it appart not looking fwd to doing this again :(

Ric, which side of the spring hanger usually goes? front or back? Ill had a quick look but couldnt see anything obvious.
When this happens The Front Hanger brackets actually Break away (or Tear away) from the Chassis Rail where they are welded on.
Mine had a fine crack on one side for ages and then I did a U Turn over a median strip one morning and that was enough to finish the job. The hanger had come away ( and tore away some of the chassis rail with it:eek: )and was moving around. The only thing holding it in place was that it jammed up against the inside of the Bull Bar

Ric

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the cv goes it should not wreck your king pins.
Cv's snap the bearing can fall out and jam the steering.
drive it just take it easy, and make sure the hubs are'nt locked in. Just ajack up of the front wheels and a good wobble will tell you a bit
I gave the wheels a wobble the other day with the car on the ground, and the pasenger side sounds a bit sus, when i get the time to strip it down i think ill start there.
Cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When this happens The Front Hanger brackets actually Break away (or Tear away) from the Chassis Rail where they are welded on.
Mine had a fine crack on one side for ages and then I did a U Turn over a median strip one morning and that was enough to finish the job. The hanger had come away ( and tore away some of the chassis rail with it:eek: )and was moving around. The only thing holding it in place was that it jammed up against the inside of the Bull Bar

Ric
Ouch! thats gotta ruin your day.
I may have a better looksy then as i do happen to frequent medium strips lol, will have to clean that area to check for cracks, im pretty sure its all good tho.
Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts