Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all mk mq gods. Was a regular here when I had gqs and Gus. I know about them but just got given a mk and know nothing about em. I'm debating wether to fix it up. My question is ,what's a p40 engine. Can it be swapped out with a tb42, ie same bell housing pattern. I may have a seized one so looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
nissan patrol lwb
141 Posts
Hey great question i also have just the gear box from a P40 thats the 4fwd with the mated transfercase and was looking for engine options and i am sure u mean TD42 ....looking fwd to info from this tread

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,015 Posts
P40's are an old fashioned petrol engine, low revving and torquey. Max torque is at 2000rpm.

The bellhousings won't be the same between a P40 and a TB42, there is only one application in which a TB42 was mated to an MQ/MK gearbox and that was in a Japanese GQ Safari fire truck, due to the GQ gearbox not being suitable. So if you can find one of those then you'll have an easy job.

Realistically though, you'll be best off either rebuilding your current P40, or buying a second hand engine and dropping that in, if you're in Vic I think NEO6GU has one.
Plus I reckon there's a lot of untapped potential in the old P40... I've rambled about it several times.

Obviously you'll get a bit of bias here, but I reckon it'll be well worth fixing the old girl up. They're good old beasts, simple and reliable, a lot more fun and more character than GQ's and GU's too. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that James. Started to get the jist that it's a bit rare. I'll try to get it spinning and see what it needs after that. Being such an old tough donk I'm hoping it can survive its current state. I'm in Qld.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,015 Posts
They were the rarest engine in the MQ/MK's.
And if it's not seized up it will spin over fairly easily. They're only a 7.8:1 compression ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts