Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so, pretty soon I’ll be looking into getting a second fuel tank on the project MK, because at the moment I’m stuck with the teeny tiny factory one behind the rear axle. Does anyone even make one anymore? I’ve done a bit of a search and There’s a few dead links that say “no longer available” when clicked on. The other option too is if anyone has one of the factory p40 van huge tanks they’re willing to sell?
TIA
-Ethan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,182 Posts
Theres still a few options out there: Long Ranger, as dkril said, Long Range Automotive, Brown Davis and 4wd Systems.
4wd Systems do both a replacement main, and a 90L sub tank.

Buying a 2nd hand 130L P40 tank would be the cheapest route.... but good luck finding one, they are hard to come by, I got lucky when I got mine.

Reactions: Ethanissan

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres still a few options out there: Long Ranger, as dkril said, Long Range Automotive, Brown Davis and 4wd Systems.
4wd Systems do both a replacement main, and a 90L sub tank.

Buying a 2nd hand 130L P40 tank would be the cheapest route.... but good luck finding one, they are hard to come by, I got lucky when I got mine.
Thanks dkril and James, I've had a look on all their websites now and wow long range tanks are expensive :oops:, I don't think I'll be finding a p40 tank any time soon though, so I guess I'll just have to make do with the factory tank and jerry holder for now. Unless there's someone on the forum with a tank they're willing to sell, but as you say, they're not common so I'll just play the waiting game for a while.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually now that I think of it, is there any tank from a GQ which might fit under the MK? Because of the body lift I've actually got some space between the tank and the floor, so I'm thinking if there's a similar tank that's a bit taller even that'll work. Dad has a spare tank out of his GU since he got a bigger one, and the factory GU one looks taller than mine, would it be possible to make it fit?

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,182 Posts
It may be worth ringing a few wreckers, its unlikely, but someone may still have an MQ/MK stashed away somewhere.

A GQ/GU may be able to be adapted to fit, may be worth running a tape measure over the GU tank and your tank/chassis to see if it'll fit.
I'd say mounts would have to be modified though. The MQ tank mounts with 10 or so bolts along the back and front edges of the tank, no idea how the GU mounts.

I have seen a standard tank modified before on ebay or gumtree junk heap special, just the standard 82L tank cut around its perimeter and a 3-4" strip of sheet metal welded in.
I guess if it was done properly, all lines and baffles extended etc, it should be okay. Maybe. But if you're paying a professional to do it, probably better off just buying a new tank.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,647 Posts
Don’t the utes have bigger tanks? Have you compared the two with the possibility of swapping them over.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don’t the utes have bigger tanks? Have you compared the two with the possibility of swapping them over.
Some might, not sure, but mine doesn’t. The tanks in both my wagon and Ute are exactly the same, with the exception that the Ute one drips diesel out the bottom…

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,182 Posts
Only P40s had larger tanks, at least the vans did.
Not 100% sure about utes as the usual spare wheel arrangement wouldn't work now that I think of it.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only P40s had larger tanks, at least the vans did.
Not 100% sure about utes.
I’ve just called up a wrecker who has a p40 wagon with a tailgate to see if they have a large tank on it, so he’ll get back to me soon. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there an easy way to tell which tank it has? He’s going to send me a photo of it so I can see which one it is, but I don’t know if there’s an obvious difference between the 85 litre tanks and the 130 litre tanks.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, the photos aren’t great, but I’m pretty sure it’s just a standard 85 litre tank. Can anyone confirm?

@james008 ;

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,182 Posts
Alright, the photos aren’t great, but I’m pretty sure it’s just a standard 85 litre tank. Can anyone confirm?

@james008 ;
Thats the usual 82L tank.

The spare wheel carrier does not fit with the 130L tank, and they have a skid plate underneath them.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the usual 82L tank.

The spare wheel carrier does not fit with the 130L tank, and they have a skid plate underneath them.
Oh well, my search continues then. Thanks for the info about the skid plate, that’ll help with identifying any future ones.
On a side note, I’ll just confirm that mine is also the standard tank. Pretty sure it is, but doesn’t have a spare wheel carrier underneath:

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,182 Posts
Oh well, my search continues then. Thanks for the info about the skid plate, that’ll help with identifying any future ones.
On a side note, I’ll just confirm that mine is also the standard tank. Pretty sure it is, but doesn’t have a spare wheel carrier underneath:

Yeah mate, yours is the regular tank.
Just a note for fitting a larger tank, those spare wheel carrier brackets that hang down in front of the tank and kinda curve underneath it will have to be cut off, but you can drop the existing tank with them in there no worries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts