Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i try and star it in the morning its a bit hard to start when i turn it over a few time it starts puffing whit smoke all around the motor can someone tell me what this means when it starts it is OK its only in the morning and i notice oil leak in the turbo going up to air cleaner can somebody help me

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your starting troubles will most likely be glow plugs, these motors love a glow before they start.

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for that i also have an oil leak that coming from turbo to the air cleaner and going down the pipes that hook to the turbo and can some body tell me if its normal to have diesel fumes coming out oil filler cap when cap is off when running i am new to diesel and there probably stupid questions

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Mate welcome to the forum ,
The oil in the intake is just blow-by it's normal.

The fumes from under the oil cap is not diesel that is also blow-by it's not really worth worrying about.

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks mate the only problem is its dripping oil on the ground from the turbo so how do i stop it from leaking because its going from turbo up to air cleaner and leaking out of all clamps and going down so i was hoping it is not anything serious it doesn't lose much oil 4 or drips a day

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Sounds like it's getting alot of blow-by.
The oil can only get into the intake one way that's from the rocker cover.

Have you taken the intake pipes off to give them a clean?

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cleaned it today that's when i saw the oil in the turbo that the pipe goes up the air cleaner but haven't got inside air cleaner there is mo blow bye coming out of air cleaner just all in the pipes when you say there is a lot of blow bye dose that mean trouble like i said when i had it running with filler cap of there was blow bye but when i sat the cap on top when it was running the cap doesn't move some times it was turning but wasn't blowing off

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Hi Mundine

When you turn the ignition on wait until the glow plug relay clicks off, which is usually well after the light has gone off, and then start the engine.
You should hear this relay drop out after about 10 to 15 seconds.

Start the engine and gently feather the accelerator at the same time and she should fire up easy.

If you are still having problems and there is still white vapour as you described then your glow plugs might not be working. White smoke or vapour is just unburnt diesel.

Cheers Ric

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks mate can some 1 tell me the best way to check blow bye and what should not be doing and what it should be doing thanks

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,309 Posts
Blow By is normal in a diesel engine, more so than in a petrol engine. It is a normal thing to have some oil coming from the rocker cover, to the big round air cleaner on top of the engine, down through that to the turbo, and ultimately into the engine where it is burned off.

Some people mount an oil catch can between the rocker cover and the big filter, just make sure you empty the oil out (straight back into the engine is fine). You can get them from most car shops, or make one out of a coke bottle :D

In some cases, excessive blow by can be caused when running a worn engine, as in rings, pistons and cylinder sleeves are worn to the extent that compression escapes from the cylinder, causing more oil to be pushed through the hose from the rocker cover to the air filter.

On earlier models of the SD33 engine, there was no blow by setup like that, and it just has a crank case vent out into the open air! The crank case vent is the main reason why you have the blow by setup. At some stage in the 80's, I'd say when the MK was introduced, it was deemed more environmentally friendly to have a closed system, like you have, where the small amount of oil (normally) would just be added in as "lubrication" with the air.

I hope this made sense :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Welcome to the nut house

Would you know when the glow plugs where replaced ???

Most people just leave them in till theres a problem,which sounds like you have
$60 -$100 for 6 new glow plugs from evilbay,should sort that issue

White smoke after start up,yeah unburned diesel ,nothin to worry about it usually goes away after a few seconds
(depending how long it takes to start,the longer to start the more smoke)

If your worried about excess smoke coming outta the cap on the rocker cover,
You could just get a compression check done
Does it blow excess smoke outta the exhaust ???
IF it doesnt it wont be the rings,it should be fine
If ya havent had it long , seems like a service is in order
Oil filter,air filters, fuel filters
Thatll help diagnose any future issues
Dirty filters can cause all sorts of hassles

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when driving it it blow out black smoke in the morning it blows white smoke and black smoke there was a little bit blue smoke in morning then stops but doesn't smell like its burning oil how do you do a compression test on the diesels

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
You need a high pressure tester and an adapter to get into the injector holes in the head. Check out neroks link to a service manual download. I would suggest that you leave the compression test to someone else to do, real easy to stuff up big time.
1) cracked spill pipes when the injector turns while undoing injector lines.
2) when putting injector pipes back on minor damage to fitting which will need to be lapped in to seal again.
3) Copper washes under the spill pipes may not seal after re-tensioning.

That's just a few off the top, factor in $200 for compression tester and if you want an adapter for an SD33 there less common than rocking horse manure!

Someone else on the forum may know what it would cost for a compression test.
For little jobs that may improve things and let you get your teeth into something.

1) Remove rocker cover and check tappets they will probably need doing and while your at it clean out the breather and all the gunk from the cover. (If your careful you wont need a new gasket its rubber)
Drain the fuel tank it may have 25 years of sediment in it.
2) Replace oil and fuel filters and oil. (run some flush in the oil for a short time first)
3) Clean out the filter screen in the banjo where the fuel goes into the fuel pump.
All the above details are in the manual. Have fun with your troll:D

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
when driving it it blow out black smoke in the morning it blows white smoke and black smoke there was a little bit blue smoke in morning then stops but doesn't smell like its burning oil how do you do a compression test on the diesels
Hi Mundine
Mate I think you are looking too deeply for a reason. If the truck runs alright once it is warmed up then there is probably nothing much wrong.
Stop worrying about compression checks and other major problems.

The only problem I can see is that the fuel chambers are not warmed enough and therefore the fuel is not combusting when you try to start the engine.

The first thing I would be doing is checking that the glow plugs are working properly.

Cheers Ric

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry gus i havent reply the computer had a virus so i could not get the internet so thanks guys for the help i have bought the truck so i just want to check if there is no magar problems because i dont want to fix it up then it **** it self and i am new to diesels so all the info get helps

1 - 20 of 37 Posts