Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys pulled the air cleaner off me sd33t the other day and found a fair bit of oil in the induction pipe (stock) Pretty sure my turbo seals are had it . dose garrett make a aftermarket turbe to bolt on or is there one that is easily made fit? or just get the turbo rebuilt? see what ya think.

cheers

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Is your car smoking from the exhaust? A blue smoke on and off boost?
I really doubt that it is your turbo seals.

The oil is from your PCV breather and it is common for the SD33T factory turbo to be covered in oil after 100's of thousands of kilometers without the intake being cleaned out!!

Put in a catch can :)
My truck breathes to atmosphere at the moment.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,309 Posts
Landy is bang on the money, I've had that problem too with my old engine
My "new" engine breathes to the atmosphere now too

An oil catch can as suggested will get rid of the oil spray which is being sucked in from the breather on the rocker cover

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok its also using oil and i just got new rings, rear main and harmonic balancer seal? it blows blue on start up only , black otherwise

·
Registered
nissan patrol
651 Posts
Valve stem seals?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Injectors?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Could be valve stem seals if it blows a little blue on startup but I very much doubt it.
It could just be poorly burnt diesel burning white/grey.

Valve stem seals will usually cause smoke on decel/over run and worn rings will give a puff of blue smoke on initial take off/acceleration.

What oil are you using?

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about the oil use ? i dont really know much bout these motors so trying to learn abit aswell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
my old sd33t with 460000k's runs 15 psi front mount coolerand has done for last 50000ks. has heaps of oil in the intake before turbo and after but i thouht can't be bad as oil lubricates everything

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't think valve stem seals is a issue with diesels. They don't have a trottle so there is never alot of vacuum like a gasoline engine has when at high rpm's and shut trottle.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
651 Posts
Ahhhhh, the NA sd33's have a throttle body.... Turbos however don't. Generally if a car is left over night the oil can seap down past the seals and gets burnt on first start up, hence the blue smoke.

It's just a suggestion :S

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ahhhhh, the NA sd33's have a throttle body.... Turbos however don't. Generally if a car is left over night the oil can seap down past the seals and gets burnt on first start up, hence the blue smoke.

It's just a suggestion :S
yeah I know they have, but it is not like a gasoline one wich is very thight. The SD ones are not ticht at all....:roll:;) there is even a hole in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts