Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I own a patrol mk 1985 and the gearbox ia on it way out and I was wondering if a gearbox from patrol MQ would fit into my mk?
Cheers Jacob

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,943 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,039 Posts
What engine do you have. That will help the resident MQ-MK train spotters assist with your query.

I believe 5 speed and 4 speed diesel boxes arent necessarily a straight swap. If it's an L28 or P40 things are different again. I only did some light reading on these things because I looked at buying one some time back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What engine do you have. That will help the resident MQ-MK train spotters assist with your query.

I believe 5 speed and 4 speed diesel boxes arent necessarily a straight swap. If it's an L28 or P40 things are different again. I only did some light reading on these things because I looked at buying one some time back.
It’s a SD33 T engine

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,839 Posts
Up until the MK came out all gearboxes were 4 speeds, unless the MQ you're looking at already has a 5 speed swapped into it, it's not worth the time and effort to downgrade to a 4 speed.
You will need to cut off and re-weld the mounts on the chassis, change driveshafts and if the box is from a different engine you'll need to change bellhousing and possibly input shaft and shifter plate, depending on the engine the donor gearbox was behind.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah okay thanks for the advice not sure where I can find a better condition gearbox I would sell it but highly doubt people would buy a car of that age

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,839 Posts
Keep an eye out on Gumtree or call up a few wreckers. You could probably find one near you on one of the MQ/MK facebook pages too.
If you find a P40 5 speed box that will also work in place of your current unit with just a bellhousing swap, not the input shaft and top plate replacement of the L28 box.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you check your compliance plate - the gearbox type will be stamped there. Once you have the gearbox type, keep your original bellhousing and chase a replacement. Input shafts can be different lengths though.
These boxes last forever - unless your synchros are shot you're probably better off replacing the gearbox bearings as a cheap rebuild for under $120 for the 4x gearbox main bearings.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,839 Posts
If you check your compliance plate - the gearbox type will be stamped there. Once you have the gearbox type, keep your original bellhousing and chase a replacement. Input shafts can be different lengths though.
These boxes last forever - unless your synchros are shot you're probably better off replacing the gearbox bearings as a cheap rebuild for under $120 for the 4x gearbox main bearings.
FS5W81A for 5 spd
FS4W81A for 4 spd.

I had a feeling the 5 spd has 5 main bearings.... I'd assume by main you mean caged ball bearings, not the needle bearings? Can't recall for sure.

Will do, thank you for your help!
Easy done mate. Let us know how you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts