Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.
I am looking for any information from members who may have installed an adapter on the later 84 - 87 MK SD33T to change from the dearer spin on oil filters (ie RYCO 149 @ $40+ or equivalent brands) to the more common, cheaper RYCO Z9 @ $10 type filter, as used on TD42s.
Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Forum
62 Posts
It’s actually a universal auxiliary oil cooler sandwich adapter. It has the nut and thread adapters to suite desired oil filter thread. The oil ports allow you the ability to connect braided oil lines to your external oil cooler. The adapter is also thermostatically activated at 165 F to open flow. You can also add a fan switch to start at 190F For forced cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,571 Posts
Hello to all.
I am looking for any information from members who may have installed an adapter on the later 84 - 87 MK SD33T to change from the dearer spin on oil filters (ie RYCO 149 @ $40+ or equivalent brands) to the more common, cheaper RYCO Z9 @ $10 type filter, as used on TD42s.
Cheers
Have you checked the different filters have comparable specifications? Filtration efficiency, flow rates, features, size, etc.

Z9 isn't the specified filter for a TD42. Depending on the year, it can be:
  • 2 x Z115
  • 2 x Z503
  • 1 x Z115 & 1 x Z416 or
  • 1 x Z 503 & 1 x Z416.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I see where you’re coming from, that’s a sandwich adapter for external oil cooler. You can run as a auxiliary oil cooler set up I have something similar on my IH Scout https://shop.perma-cool.com/189-Sandwich-Adapter-Universal-189.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your reply. I suppose I should have included this info. The Nissan Patrol MKs I have and the SD33Ts I am running in other equipment are all for farm property use. Stating that, I am still want to maintain them mechanically but cost effectively. So I am not really wanting to run external extra filters, I am asking if anyone has found a cost effective, "off the shelf" adapter. The adapter can be universal as long as other inlets/outlets can be blanked off as for me, it's main use is adapt the SD33T oil filter housing to accept a more common oil filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked the different filters have comparable specifications? Filtration efficiency, flow rates, features, size, etc.

Z9 isn't the specified filter for a TD42. Depending on the year, it can be:
  • 2 x Z115
  • 2 x Z503
  • 1 x Z115 & 1 x Z416 or
  • 1 x Z 503 & 1 x Z416.
Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a easy "off the shelf" solution to adapt the SD33T oil filter housing to accept the more common RYCO Z9s. These are the '84 - '87 MK SD33Ts six cylinder turbo diesels. So I think the Z9s will be quite suitable as they were used on the next generation silver top TD42Ts and these days they even come with the anti-bleed back flange built-in. Although I have not delved into volumes and flow rates, I have opted the SD33T power plants as they are as tough as old boots and they run bio diesel easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As I said before, Z9s were NOT used on TD42.
Where do you get your information. I can find no reference from Nissan that the filters you list as being suitable for the TD42. It seems you may be being led by vehicle parts suppliers with their own agendas as to which filters are more suitable for them. The RYCO Z9s have been used on TD42s for ages and a lot people are currently using them. If you are a Nissan purist and buy every part your Nissan requires from the Nissan parts only manual, you will be paying a fortune. Equally if you drop your oil very 5K and change your twin filters each change and only use Nissan supplied oil filters and other maintenance filters for air & fuel, then you'd almost be paying extra in your vehicle repayments. But if you drive your diesel like a diesel and look after it like a diesel, it'll run for decades without issue, like mine have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Where do you get your information. I can find no reference from Nissan that the filters you list as being suitable for the TD42. It seems you may be being led by vehicle parts suppliers with their own agendas as to which filters are more suitable for them. The RYCO Z9s have been used on TD42s for ages and a lot people are currently using them. If you are a Nissan purist and buy every part your Nissan requires from the Nissan parts only manual, you will be paying a fortune. Equally if you drop your oil very 5K and change your twin filters each change and only use Nissan supplied oil filters and other maintenance filters for air & fuel, then you'd almost be paying extra in your vehicle repayments. But if you drive your diesel like a diesel and look after it like a diesel, it'll run for decades without issue, like mine have.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Plenty of other filters fit SD without using an adapter. Fleetguard LF3919, LF3307, Donaldson P555616 etc etc.
P555616 was under $20 each from memory, LF3919 was just over $20 each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts