Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
sounds like a good place to start!

im planning on rebuilding my l28 sometime in the future.

getting the head bored and stroking it out to l31

hopefully!!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
neRoK,
Yep theres a set up like that in the classifieds,but i think its a wagon
Probably running a remote tranny
Im sure theres been talk of running remote trannys in the SWB and there was size/room restrictions
Im sure there are other set ups avaliable nowadays
WICKED runs a ford 6

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be doing spring reversal so will get a little extra length with the rear tail shaft
So possibly end up with similar lengthy to original if I used the auto who knows
Trial and error lol

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
no because as i have mentioned in your other thread, no SWB came with divorced transfer. it would be a lot of work to fit one. front driveshaft would be huge, i bet it would hit the crossmember when flexin.

there are kits to fit the attached transfer straight to automatics. i have only seen this for the holden/chev turbo-700, but im sure something could be made for the C4.

WICKED has 250 xflow, i think he is auto, but he also has a 60 series attached transfer case afaik. maybe that is a better option for you, so you can get off the shelf adapter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet Nerok I have an idea for the front tail shaft so it would in effect be in normal position
Wanting to do something slightly differant

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
why? different cost $ and are there any benefits to just sticking a v8 in, i think not. if your keen on the xflow, just get a bellhousing/adapter kit to bolt it to the manual already in the car. if you really want auto, try get the adapter to the normal attached T130 trasnfer. or search your local classifieds for any old heap with a C4 and transfer combo, you may find them in old 40/60 series cruisers, hilux, maybe even jeep etc. would be easier than trying to use a remote tranny i reckon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So your saying the transfer case part on my 5 speed can unbolt and be bolted to something else with adaptor do I have to modify auto ?
Do you have any links etc to show me

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Auto were only an option in the LWB L28 either MQ or MK
Nothin else

ANY MQ/MK LWB can be adapted to accept the factory remote transfer
Do a search either neRoK, or myself have explained this before
The factory auto has a wee tailshaft from the rear of the auto to the remote tranny
ANY motor/box combo is easier doin the remote tranny route
But Dellow, CRS, and others do just about any combo for just about anything
Theres a bloke in sydney whos running a 350 Chev/Turbo 400 auto in a SWB,not sure of the set up but fully legal however it works
Body wise "B" pillar forward just about identical in dimension between LWB/SWB/Ute
But tailshafts either front or back are different amongst the different factory engine combos

Keep an eye on the classifieds on here/evilbay ect there are the odd X-Flow conversion
But cant say ive seen a SWB X-Flow auto set up for sale

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mad that's Wat I was thinking do the short connection between transfer and tranny I will be extending wheel base when I do put xflow in
Would like to keep 5 speed but nit sure if I can afford the kit all at once
But will look on evilbay etc

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
adapter would be something simple like on this site: Adapting the 700R4 / 4L60E to the Jeep Dana 300 Transfer Case
note that site doesnt even do C4 kits.

just realised, ive been blabbing on about C4, and you didnt even mention it lol. is that the auto you were talking about, the ford auto that would come with the xflow? i wouldnt bother trying to adapt a 250 xflow to the MQ automatic, no body really has one, i havent heard if they are any good, i wouldnt want to be the one to find out!

with the divorced transfer in swb, a lwb wheel base is 2970 and a swb is 2350, so 620mm difference. LWB rear is ~910 in the service manual, so in a SWB it will be 290mm long!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts