Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!
I'm on the 4th Nissan Patrol (now I only have a GU LWD TD42 ready for overlanding), this time I bought an 87-inch MK160, short, rust-free and a well-maintained engine.
I want to change it moderately, not for the extreme but to improve the weak parts.
I have already bought a pair of GQ axles (RD28T), they are completely overhauled, and I hope to be able to mount them on the MK160, gaining a much more solid transmission, more efficient brake and a very solid rear lock.
My question is, has anyone made this change before?
I am concerned about the position of the rear cardan shaft from the gearbox to the differential (center), and to the front axle, if the differential allows me to attach the right spring so that the axle is positioned correctly, centrally, or will be pushed to the left.
I appreciate any answers and I apologize for a not very good English ... but I'm trying!
Cristian

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,949 Posts
The front axle should be able to be mounted without it having to be pushed left, early GQ utes with leaf springs used the H233 front diff and the leaf spring perches were very close to 160, within 5mm per side I think.
The rear axle will be more trouble, the GQ is a centre diff and the MQ and MK are right hand offset, which might cause the universal joints to run at a bad angle especially if the car is lifted. A double carden joint in the rear driveshaft might help a little bit, but the rear drive shaft is already very short.

·
Premium Member
nissan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front axle should be able to be mounted without it having to be pushed left, early GQ utes with leaf springs used the H233 front diff and the leaf spring perches were very close to 160, within 5mm per side I think.
The rear axle will be more trouble, the GQ is a centre diff and the MQ and MK are right hand offset, which might cause the universal joints to run at a bad angle especially if the car is lifted. A double carden joint in the rear driveshaft might help a little bit, but the rear drive shaft is already very short.
today I buy a carden joint rear driveshaft, hope to fit. I dont know, the K260 with RD28 engine, dont have the same problem but vice versa, the transfer case with central output and the rear axle with the differential on the right?
and on the front axle, the concern is the size of the space for the differential, because at Y60 it is very very large .
maybe I'll be forced to mount the springs on top of the axels, which I don't want!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts