Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys need some help here.

I'm after some more ponnies out of my bus. But more importantly a compensated pump.

My setup is a gu na td42 with a gtx2860 with. 64 hot, a 450x300x90 top v mount cooler, zd30 airbox.

I have future plans to rebuild the donk to turbo spec and water meth kit but for the meantime im going to get a compensated pump just not sure if a modded 11mm will be okay detuned to around 16psi or it will be better to buy a stock 11mm pump and build it later.. The last option would b
e more expensive.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I'm on about. I want to run a 12mm but I was informed that pump would have to be detuned to run on a NA td42 and use lots of fuel and not work properly. Not sure about a modded 11mm though which I would compromise for.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That's exactly what I'm on about. I want to run a 12mm but I was informed that pump would have to be detuned to run on a NA td42 and use lots of fuel and not work properly. Not sure about a modded 11mm though which I would compromise for.
Skater,

I have a 12mm pump on my bus ( 93 blacktop, gtx 2863 ) and if anything uses a bit less than the 10mm pump did. when I had the pump built I asked for it to be set to deliver 170 rwhp, as yet I haven't had it on the dyno but seat of the pants feels pretty close. I also have wm fitted but did this when I had the 10mm pump for a bit more mumbo, but still run it on a fairly low nozzle setting more for the cleaning effect than anything else.

The reason I went 12mm rather than 11mm was because I intended to rebuild the engine to turbo spec when it carks itself and did not want to have to do the pump again.
I have 4" all the way to the turbo 3" exhaust, ls1 panel filter airbox and my egts when cruising at 100 are about 250 post turbo, up hill fully loaded and into it sees 22psi and 450. This is heavily laden full roof rack and RTT. I am more than happy at this power level and have 0 problems overtaking even up hill.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
There is no point going modded 11mm or 12mm with a gt2860.
You will get more than enough out of a completely factory 11mm gu pump to max the turbo out and then some.

If you wanted to make the kind of power a modded 11mm or 12mm pump can supply for you would be much better off going a GTX2867/gtx3063/67 if you stick with garrett or a 16G Large/18G if jumping over to UFI.

The .64 hot side also makes them laggy and yuck. You need .48 to light them up and decent sized wastegate to bypass the small a/r turbine once its on song.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There is no point going modded 11mm or 12mm with a gt2860.
You will get more than enough out of a completely factory 11mm gu pump to max the turbo out and then some.

If you wanted to make the kind of power a modded 11mm or 12mm pump can supply for you would be much better off going a GTX2867/gtx3063/67 if you stick with garrett or a 16G Large/18G if jumping over to UFI.

The .64 hot side also makes them laggy and yuck. You need .48 to light them up and decent sized wastegate to bypass the small a/r turbine once its on song.
Think he has a gtx, but anyway are you talking about a ewg or a modified/ enlarged internal wastegate on the .48 housing ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sméagol,

I was informed my blacktop engine had light internals and a max of 15psi and post turbo egts should max at 500c. Is this some more miss information I have received.

I too only want to modify my pump once as its a lot of money to be throwing around.

Diesel tuner,

I definitely regret my setup choice now. I was told my MTQ that my turbo would be the most responsive choice off the shelf and at $1000 brand new I thought it was a great buy until I fitted it and realised how much boost response it lacked.

The exhaust housing supplied was specifically designed by mtq for a td42 as it comes with a t3 footprint (what I was told) Can't find the part number off there website to get specs off the housing though

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The 2860 is the most responsive choice off the shelf for sure. Unfortunately they dont sell what I would call the best housing for that turbo (or any turbo really)

They just have standardized garrett housings that dont suit td42's. Nothing has been designed or tested by MTQ ill tell you that. They simply resell components, and with little knowledge or how bad they are compared to other aftermarket offerings out there.

Believe me when I say you arent the first to have suffered the same misinformation guidance on this forum and you wont be the last.
We had a gentlemen on here a few months ago that requested the same setup you asked for end they ended up sending him a GT2871.
Their reasoning was "You dont know what you want or need, or what you are talking about so we sent you what we know to be the best product"

Maybe wouldnt hurt to actually reference that part number to make sure they havent done the same to you. A 2860 should still be making full boost around 2000rpm with that turbine housing.
With a .48, that brings them up to 16psi around 1650rpm.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Diesel tuner maybe the housing is why I am so disappointed then. I wonder what it is. It has a t3 ffootprint. I will check the invoice tonight and see if I can find out what it actually is.

starting to think I would be happy with a standard 11mm pump and decently matched turbo setup. Instead off thinking I need 12mm pump and 20psi plus to be happy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starting to think I have a gtx2867. Off the compressor housing I got an 813714-0009 which looks like the comp cover for the above turbo and the gtx3067.

Can't see and id tag on the CHRA at the moment. Will need a telescopic mirror for that.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like It. I'm not too disappointed though if I am chasing some more power out of her looks like the comp compressor can provide that. I'm guessing the turbine housing will flow just as well.

I will give mtq a call today and try and sus out the exhaust housing. It has a T3 ffootprint and the same outlet as a ht18. I remember this as I was supplied a mtq dump to fit the gtx on a dts manifold and everything was okay except the angle of the dump would foul the block.

Going to look at a td42t roller shell today so hopefully a turbo donk and compensated pump are going in real soon!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Contacted Mtq about my rear housing.

Is made for them they told me but guessing is the the same as the HPD and ASE upgrade kits.

Has a T3 footprint with a. 64 AR ratio and ht18 dump pipe pattern.

The turbo is a gtx2867 with. 64 Rear. Instead of the Gtx2860 with. 48 rear.

I'm not to upset at all now I have purchased a factory turbo donk with pump should spin it up earlier and not choke exhaust flow up top.

Anyone had experience with this turbo and housing on an 11 or 12mm pump?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Im really curious why they continue to sell the "2860" and send out anything from a 2860 through to a 2871 and just say yep that the best turbo for the td42.

the 2867 with .64 isnt a bad setup, but they are just laggier than they need to be with the right housing. You need to get the turbine and compressor up to the right speed to make them work and the .48 does that really well.

Unless you are pushing to the enth degree then its not going to be a bottle neck at all. 150kw is easily achievable with the small housing.

With a good 11mm pump you should get 120-130kw with about 22psi.

If you wanted to talk about talk though... well thats a different story.
Ive seen differences of 250-300nm at 1800-2000rpm between a .48 and .64 on a gtx2863.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Is there a particular housing you prefer to use dt? I have seen a couple of housings made for certain companies then also genuine garrett items. The genuine garrett ones are of a much better quality and finish. Also are you able to give others a hint on suppliers for the housings you suggest?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts