Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just bought a 1989 model 160, can anyone tell me why mine has square headlights and grill rather than the more common round headlights?
Any advice on locating parts will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,239 Posts
I’ve just bought a 1989 model 160, can anyone tell me why mine has square headlights and grill rather than the more common round headlights?
Thanks Gary
The 160 was updated to the square headlights in 1983. As most of us here are Australian, we may not be able to give much advice on where to source parts in Europe.

@james008 is the man for technical stuff relating to this series.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for coming back that explains the Difference, I can’t find a new grill to suit the square headlights or can I convert it to round

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,342 Posts
James is the expert, but I remember a conversation from years ago about the 160/260 Spanish models, maybe it has something to do with that, anyway James will set you right no worries.

·
Registered
nissan g160
263 Posts
MK had rectangular headlights. MQ had round. There are a few other small differences. Eg. front shackles are a slightly different design.

·
Registered
nissan g160
263 Posts
You can put whatever grill and headlight on that you like tho. There is no difference in the bodywork.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,778 Posts
The Radiator support panel changed with the swap to rectangular lights, so the shape of the cut out for the headlight bracket is different, as are the mounting points.

It is doable, but you'll need to drill holes to mount the round headlight brackets, one hole in the inner guard to mount a little anti rattle spring, and the headlight cut out may need trimming. There shouldn't be any issue mounting the plastic grille, from memory the mounting points are the same.

·
Registered
nissan g160
263 Posts
Thanks Gary
One thing that may help to know is that the rectangular headlights are a generic unit, just a standard 5" x 7" rectangular light. Used in countless trucks and other SUVs.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2 Petrol/LPG
836 Posts
More info here : Welcome | MQ-Patrol.com

Mine is a MQ, 3rd one, and I love the round lights. Just cannot get used to the rectangular lights... just looks weird and wrong... but that is just me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts