Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 3 remote control helicopters, $20 each, 1 for my son and 2 for me. I have been like a man possesed, I could not wait for them to each charge up again and have flown them almost non-stop for the last 36 hours. Within 20minutes of eachother they have all broken ( unstable flight ),my wife recons they were a rip off because they are now broken, I recon they were the best value present ever and I know I will be straight to toyworld again tomorow to buy ALL remaining stock. I can see this is going to get expensive and I would happily buy a much more expensive one.

Am I stupid or is my wife correct?

Is it worth getting bigger better ones or are they just as likely to get broken and just be more expensive to repair?

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Are those the ones with the little missile that can be fired from the remote?

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
My brother gave myself, dad and my other brother's one and I have been playing with mine non-stop as well, it's an absolute laugh, doesn't take long to charge and goes for quite a while! Mines busted now too, the tail rotor has stopped so I have no forward or backward control but I'm still playing with it! haha. Got it hovering pretty darn good now, might have to go buy another so I can play with it now I'm good at it. I tell you they are one hardy toy, I have smashed mine into ceiling fans that were going and smashed it up so many times I couldn't' count them!

I'm with you, what an awesome prezzie!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sound like the same one i got my son 9sorry santa did) for xmas.
This one is a police chopper with red and blue LEDs that flash. Has twin blades at the top with a balance bar thingy above that, flies well once trimed- but he crashed it a million time even into the bloody fish tank and we dried it out and come good again unitl more bite broke now it bin time.

Was fun while it lasted..

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
My son got a small RC chopper for his birthday (Dec 24) and a big RC chopper for xmas :p

I found the big one a bit easier to fly, but at around 70cm long, its a bit big for inside !

The downside on the larger copter, is it takes 110min to recharge the battery :rolleyes: way to long to wait !

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Get into the really big ones, they might be expensive, but you can replace pretty much every single part of 'em.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We got one too but the wind got onto ours once it cleared the roof of the house and it crashed in the trees next door only broke the landing gear but still flies just lands a bit rough good fun and you can buy the bits cheap. MOARY:)

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Everyone at my house got a NERF gun and spare bullets. There are NERF darts stuck on every window in the house. As a side note, the stick to wet people so running around in the rain with your shirt off is a real hoot. :roll:

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Just on the RC topic, im loving my new car i got for xmas, has a few dog teeth holes and tones of gring/rash all over it, but fun, loving it

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
haha never too old for this sorta stuff :)
i love my helicopter i got for chrissy
if only it was a bit tougher! broken already!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're going to get R/C stuff do yourself a favour and get it from a proper hobby shop or Hobby King. This way you'll actually get something you can get parts for rather than just use-till-ya-break-it trash.

Take a look at http://www.hobbyking.com - their aussie warehouse has helicopters (clones of the Align TRex 450) for $32, and r/c transmitters for same. You'll need battery, charger servos, motor, speed controller and gyro as well though (about another $70-100). Hobbyking stuff is almost always excellent quality even though the prices are super low - they buy in extremely large volumes or manufacture it themselves.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Lets revive this topic again!

I'm now looking at getting an R/C chopper, but it'll need to be one that I can mount a little action camera too, so it'd need to be able to work in all directions with 400grams hanging off the bottom.

Also someone explain the difference to me of 4 ch and 3ch?

TF

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Hey mate, bit of advice from a long term chopper-wrecker! I had the little pocket ones for ages. Get yourself online and grab an e-sky lama or esky big lama. They are bigger, have a proper gyro and 4 channel controls. It will be easier to fly and much more stable. THe big lama looks awesome, but it is pretty big so dont fly it into your kids or anything.
On that note I have a big lama which had a bit of a crash. It just needs the body shell thingy replaced. If you are interested you can have the thing, in the box with all the gear for $50. The body is made of that thin flexible plastic crap so you could probably aryldite or tape it up. PM me if you want it and ill bang it in the post or something.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
And the difference between 3 and 4 channel is just control. THe little cheap copters only have 3 channel so you can control up and down, spin left and right and tilt forward and back (to make the chopper go forward and backwards). Real cheap ones only have 2 channel and are just moving forward all the time by default. 4 channel is what you want as you also get yaw (I think thats what its called) to roll the chopper to the left or right so you can keep the thing hovering flat or whatever.
Any of the better choppers like the esky lama which I crapped on about above are 4 channel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts