Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looks like I'm in line to buy the father in laws 2000 ZD30 Patrol in a few months. I did post a few weeks ago asking about engine No's and the like but I'll refresh anyone's memory.

As said above it's a 2000 model, auto, ZD30 and blew the motor up about 18mths ago. He had this replaced with a (apparently) new crate motor from nissan, costing all up in the vicinity of $12-13000. Now seeing the cost involved with the replacement, I'd presume this would legitimally be a crate motor would it not?? The car has since done only about 10,000kms... if that. It basically sits in the carport and only gets driven for trips away as he has a company ute he drives on a daily basis. As it's only just had a new motor put in it & the fact it's in immaculate condition inside and out, I got asking if he wanted to sell it & looks like I should be able to get it for a great price.:iconbana:

NOW, the question I need to know is... first and foremost..... what mods do I need to get done first?? I'm presuming EGT and Boost guages.... but then what else should I be looking at getting done to help this engine survive the test of time. Temp & oil pressure guages?? I know they're on the dash, but how good are these really??

What about a larger mandrel bent exhaust system... what size exhaust is best??

I'd like to install a dual battery system at some stage, so should I look at installing a volt guage too??

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Howdy, Congrats on picking up what is going to be like a new Patrol!

I would be putting in the boost gauge and the EGT gauge for starters, while you are doing that, order the dawes valve from 3barracing.com and the needle valve from dependable distributors - they can take a little while to get in.
Make up an EGR shim and get ready to block that.

I have just fitted a 2 3/4 beaudesert exhaust - it seems like the most popular choice.

One of the best things that i have bought was from a member here on the forum 'NewKleer'. Its called a ECUTalk LCD display. It has digital readouts of the sensors available on your car - keeps a more accurate eye on temperatures and MAF voltages. Drop him a pm, or check out ECUTalk - News for some photos.

Dual batteries is a must if you are planning on making some shelves and whacking a fridge in the back! Voltmeter would be handy too i guess, something i should do one day..

Congrats again! Hope you find the forum as informative as i do!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the Patrol club

I will be posting up all the mods I have done to my car soon. (see sig)

Have you read the PATROL BIBLE yet?

I suggest doing the mods in this order (from experiance)
Oil catch can (Provent if you have the $$)
Boost guage (on pipe between turbo and inlet manifold)
block EGR
exhaust
EGT guage (onto new exhaust pipe near turbo)
dawes + needle valve to correct your now overboosting Patrol

Dont forget to use Delo 400 or another Nissan grade oil for the ZD30.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hey all,

Looks like I'm in line to buy the father in laws 2000 ZD30 Patrol in a few months. I did post a few weeks ago asking about engine No's and the like but I'll refresh anyone's memory.

As said above it's a 2000 model, auto, ZD30 and blew the motor up about 18mths ago. He had this replaced with a (apparently) new crate motor from nissan, costing all up in the vicinity of $12-13000. Now seeing the cost involved with the replacement, I'd presume this would legitimally be a crate motor would it not?? The car has since done only about 10,000kms... if that. It basically sits in the carport and only gets driven for trips away as he has a company ute he drives on a daily basis. As it's only just had a new motor put in it & the fact it's in immaculate condition inside and out, I got asking if he wanted to sell it & looks like I should be able to get it for a great price.:iconbana:

NOW, the question I need to know is... first and foremost..... what mods do I need to get done first?? I'm presuming EGT and Boost guages.... but then what else should I be looking at getting done to help this engine survive the test of time. Temp & oil pressure guages?? I know they're on the dash, but how good are these really??

What about a larger mandrel bent exhaust system... what size exhaust is best??

I'd like to install a dual battery system at some stage, so should I look at installing a volt guage too??
Welcome to the Ranks, Mate your in the Box seat, an early model with a new engine, and you know the history of the vehicle, win win situation. Mine too is a 2000 model which dropped its bundle at 155,000 and was repaired, I intend to hang onto it for another 10 years.

Fully agree with Dronus and his timing of doing things is OK as well. The earlier ECU seems to be a little more forgiving than the later ones, I had no issues with overboost problems (limp mode), The Chronological order of fitting things I would recommend would be:
Boost and EGT gauge then, observe and note, Do EGR, observe and note. This is where some have had the overboost problem, but my early one, no. fit dawes and needle valve, Observe and note. After that I would do a chip.

Depending on what you are going to do with it, I wouldn't really worry about Volts, Oil pressure and Temperature gauges other than to get ECUtalk, even this is a nice to have rather than the first list of mods which are good insurance.

Have had my 2 3/4 Beaudesert system on for a while now and love it, made a heap of difference. I would leave that until last.

Once again welcome and enjoy. There is so much info on here it is hard to take in sometimes. Don't take things at face value and carefully sort fact from B******.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts