Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i want some ideas on what small things I can do to my engine to give it a bit more go its got a aftermarket turbo 3inch exhaust and geting a intercooler what can I do to it small and cheap that makes a difference! :) thanks Ben

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,040 Posts
Diesel gas ,you wont be dissapointed
You think, i was, not worth the money or the hassle. Besides water methanol is way better in every department.

There a many easy gains in power and driveability just by upgrading you aircleaner system shorter straighter larger.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
What's the most psi you can safetly run the turbo at? Think it could do with new injectors :)
i dont think just putting new injectors on it would do too much. what is yor boost set at now??????

also,be thankfull that you have a turbo at all,think of us poor souls with n/a 4.2's :)

upping your boost shortens engine life.... do regular services,keep it below 4000rpm and be happy with the old girl...want a bit more power,get a different engine,give me yours :)

i had a SD33 and the n/a TD42 is 1000% better,you have a rig that has good,reasonable,reliable power...dont screw with it

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I saw an alternative to diesel gas in the lastest 4WD Action the other day. There is a new system that injects unleaded into the engine in much the same way the diesel gas system works. Best thing is you don't need to be a gas fitter, you can fit it yourself.

·
Taking the path of most resistance
nissan
105 Posts
my father in law has diesel/gas and he's a pig in ****!!! seriously he doesn't want to do a thing to his ute, and all its got is stock TD42T, K+N, 3'' exhaust and his gas set up. he's been around oz twice towing a 2 1/2 ton van first time, then 3 and a bit van second time.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Depends what you call cheap, as oldmav said water meth is a great improvement. If you do decide to go down this path send me a pm as I may be able to get you a saving on a kit. The cheapest way to get some more would be to max out the pump and up the boost to suit.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
Not knowing how experienced you are the best thing would be to get it dyno tuned, get them to setup the EGT to 550 deg celcious max under full load, any more your going to do damage

my setup is a stock DTS system (intercooled) and the max I can get out of it is 20psi boost and I've maxed out the injector pump (this is easy to do), after that the only way to get more power is a bigger pump which is $2000 + depending on where you go

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Cheapest way to better performance is to remove all of the junk in the back of the car. Recovery gear, drawers, fridge, subwoofer, rock sliders, etc.

GQ4.2... you are way outside the efficiency band of a standard TD05, you will probably make more power with less boost.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
MikeH, unforuntatly JPC is like 300km away to get a good dyno tune, its only running the stock pump atm but plans down the track are bigger pump and probably a 2876 garrett

1 - 13 of 13 Posts