Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a brave trip to Moreton in the Soaking rain. Was a good trip all up, although much harder this time with a crawling baby.

Day 1:

Barge trip was sea sick central with it rocking and pitching the whole way over. It was high tide and there was surprisingly little beach to drive on, only one car width. I had a trailer so turning around was never an option.

I found the West side of the island VERY poorly sign posted. The beggars closed the beach at Cowen and didn't find the need to put a big clear sign up to warn. I ended up driving all the way to the cut off (washout) which was 1m deep and impassable. Then I had to turn around. Not happy. I made it just (though the waves) and headed back and found the by-pass track which was dark green and in the bushes which said beach closed etc... :angryfir:

The inland tracks were flooded, definitely not soft roader friendly as some of the holes were 2 feet deep.

YouTube - Flooded inland track to North West Camp Ground

Day 2:

Less rain so we went for a drive to the north end of the island, nothing to see at the lighthouse (cloud and rain) nut found a nicer cap ground the Comboyuro, which was bigger, more open and quieter. The road was very potholed and slow going in places.

YouTube - Light house climb

The rain cleared that evening and some blue sky could be seen before sun set. My daughter broke out in a rash which resulted in the paramedics driving up from Tangaloomer for a visit. She got the all clear and we all slept well that night.

Day 3:

The SUN! It was fine weather, no wind and sunny. Perfect, good day to explore the other end of the island, took the middle road to the east beach and it had just been graded which made it smooth and quick. Coming back was a different story. There were pot holes big enough for the Patrol bottom out on and cross-up the axles. Good fun. I should have waited to see how the Pajero behind me faired.

There was room on the barge that night so we packed up early and headed home on the best day. Good trip but we were al exhausted as camping with a crawling baby is quite tough! She did smile a lot though so I think she had fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
thats great mate i will be doing it soon

·
Registered
nissan st 08
656 Posts
What day did you come home. I was keeping an eye out for ya. We got there on the 30th and had sunshine for a week. Decided to try another 5 days and then it started pissing down so we packed up and bolted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts