Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Dont worry about Morgan anymore. I was there yetserday (saturday) and there are fence posts up at the entrance. The coils of wire are lying on the ground ready to go up on monday I presume. Once more we are locked out for the sake of a sanctury(not sure what they are trin to protect in there) and we will all be forced into paying to enjoy our 4x4's.
i wouldn't mind betting that the local bussiness will be a bit pissed when thry realise there weekend takings are down by 25%.
I dont' know about you but I always tried to support the locals by bying lunch or some fuel or whatever.

Sick of being locked out. They (the government at all levels) are making it harder and harder for us to enjoy our chosen pastime by reducing acces to areas and then wonder and complian when the remaining areas get closed.

Wait and see and I bet there will be a **** load of 4x4ers going to Morgan only to find the quarry closed so thet will go over the river to the conservation park. Then that will get f*cked up and will be closed also. And the cycl will continue untill its all of limits.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Awwwwww! I wanted to go there once the patrol was going again. :(

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
So before everyone sheds a tear, has anybody contacted the local authorities and 4wd SA to find out?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same thing happend at Burra (redbanks).too many people having a good time on crown land! cant have that....

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Same thing happend at Burra (redbanks).too many people having a good time on crown land! cant have that....
Redbanks was awesome! Spent a couple of times up there with mates on our bikes over 20 years ago but bloody hell it was a hazardous place. Sooo many tracks criss crossing between thick scrub it was no wonder there were too many bikes hitting each other and a few odd fatalities. I understand this was not the main reason for it's closure to vehicles though, it was for 'environmental reasons'.

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
fks sakes

have to resort to finding poor drainage spots and driving through puddles then

·
8,549 Posts
I think I read somewhere in 4WDSA's minutes a while back that the quarry might be fenced off at some stage but still be used by various groups such as conservation groups, affiliate member clubs of 4WDSA, but no motorbikes AFAIK. From memory the SA 4WD Council have been trying to negotiate a deal with the owners (SA govt) for a while to be allowed access for 4wd's if it was fenced off to the general public but Morgan seems to have had it's share of troubles so if the government has given the Dept of Environment & Heritage control over it then it's expected that there will be restrictions of vehicles going in there because of the past troubles and the presence of ecological significance.
If vehicles will be allowed access there'd probably be designated tracks only not a free for all, same as other conservation parks, eg Ngarkat is a group of conservation parks too but allows 4 wheel driving.
Will see what I can find out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
I really hope they don't shut it off, that would suck cause I havn't had a chance to get there yet, and it looks like good fun. :(

·
8,549 Posts
I really hope they don't shut it off, that would suck cause I havn't had a chance to get there yet, and it looks like good fun. :(
Me neither. Hoping our crew can go there some time. If it's only allowed for driver training only then so be it. I know the girls want to have a go at it. Bout time lol

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Me neither. Hoping our crew can go there some time. If it's only allowed for driver training only then so be it. I know the girls want to have a go at it. Bout time lol
The CFS do all their driver training up there!!

I dont understand What damage are we doing!!! Like WTF else is it going to be used for :confused:

·
8,549 Posts
The CFS do all their driver training up there!!

I dont understand What damage are we doing!!! Like WTF else is it going to be used for :confused:
I dont know if it's anything to do with 'damage' there. IMO quarrying did more than anything and if it wasn't for that they probably wouldn't have discovered the fossils in the first place. I'm trying to find out whats actually happening though.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
The Facts

Spoke to Mid Murray Council today. This is what they told me:
The Morgan Council Depot manager (John Fry ph 8540 0060) said that they are busily putting up fences around the whole quarry. It will have gates with padlocks. He seemed to think access would be through organising a key, maybe for clubs etc. He either pretended and/or didn't know much about access to the quarry and told me to ring Rocky Warren ph 0407 554 807 (someone from Cambrai council area?). Apparently he will have the keys and access to the quarry will be through him?? He was sick today and not answering his mobile so couldn't find out anymore at this stage. Will try again tomorrow.
The council were happy to provide the contact numbers so that's why I've posted them. Told them they might be getting a few calls lol. Perhaps they should put something on their website instead of this cloak and dagger approach. Geez I would be pissed off driving up there to find it closed off.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Might want to double check Rocky Warrens Phone number... I have it as 0409 554 807?
Typo, my bad - you have the correct number. Do you know Rocky? What's the story?

·
8,549 Posts
I've heard part of the quarry is, or has been made, a conservation park and this is the part that is being closed off, not the whole quarry.
What part of the quarry is actually a conservation park, anybody know?

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Facts Pt 2...

Ok, we can all thank some oxygen thieving twat that drove a dune buggy in the Morgan Quarry, had an accident and is now sueing the council. This c0ckforehead is the reason council have finally acted to close it off. The quarry will be fully fenced by easter. Access will be via applying to council in writing to use the facility. There are a number of requirements that must be met before they will grant access - the main thing being the user group has indemnity insurance. They will consider non clubs (ie us), however we would need to organise insurance for the day. I'm checking this out, but it will be expensive and probably not worth it.
Council fully anticipate people to cut the fences, however they will have rangers patrolling the area and handing out $180 fines (esp during easter). Unfortunately getting a fine could actually be cheaper than legitimately getting indemnity insurance :rolleyes:
And yes, businesses (and even council ) are not happy about having to close the quarry off (or the twat sueing council and spoiling it for everyone).
Don't think I will be driving to Morgan again :( It's almost not worth owning a 4by in SA anymore :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts