Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4.2TDi GUIV Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last trip away I came home via Brisvagas and had the Patrol booked in a Motsons for a stage 2 Turbo upgrade. Now to say I'm pleased with the results are an understatement. The truck now is far more friendly and easier to drive with heaps more torque and power down low where needed......Very happy to say the least, below are the Dyno results.....

The other bonus, she uses an average of 1ltr per 100km less fuel now, can't complain with that.....:D:D:D

Cheers.....

·
4.2TDi GUIV Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Hello Teabag,

I see on the graph a note that the "before readings are not factory".
What mods did you have before Motson's did their stuff?

Cheers,
Geoff

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
During my last trip away I came home via Brisvagas and had the Patrol booked in a Motsons for a stage 2 Turbo upgrade. Now to say I'm pleased with the results are an understatement. The truck now is far more friendly and easier to drive with heaps more torque and power down low where needed......Very happy to say the least, below are the Dyno results.....

The other bonus, she uses an average of 1ltr per 100km less fuel now, can't complain with that.....:D:D:D

Cheers.....
So what is it like under 1700RPM!!!!!

·
4.2TDi GUIV Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Teabag,

I see on the graph a note that the "before readings are not factory".
What mods did you have before Motson's did their stuff?

Cheers,
Geoff
It had already had the Stage one which is 3in Exhaust and fuel pump set. This is the difference between stage one and stage 2......

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
2.8 GU turbo is a GT1752S, new from nissan they can go from about $950 to $1300 supply only.

If I may ask, why do you think your turbo is up for replacement?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
The old girls head cracked not long back, was recommended a mechanic so it went to him. From what i could tell he was a real pro (i could be wrong)

Didn't take him long to pin point all that was wrong with the troll after fitting a new head for me.

Said the following needs attention..

Alternator
Turbo
Steering Damper
Radiator.

Sure enough a week later the alternator **** itself, that's been replaced now. Steering damper is indeed gone, coil on the outside has broken..

He did a great job with the head as the mechanic i took it to before him to fit the head totally stuffed it.

So short story long, he has said best if i get the turbo replaced soon.

He's not out for sales or anything like that, he's a backyarder who's been in the industry for eons.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
It had already had the Stage one which is 3in Exhaust and fuel pump set......
That's where mine is at the moment (series 1, non I/C). I'd like more off the bottom, up to about 2500rpm for towing. I'm considering my next move. Can't decide between turbo upgrade or I/C. Did they do exhaust side only, or both exhaust and compressor sides?
Do you notice any negative changes to driveability? Turbo lag, etc?

Cheers,
Geoff

·
4.2TDi GUIV Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's where mine is at the moment (series 1, non I/C). I'd like more off the bottom, up to about 2500rpm for towing. I'm considering my next move. Can't decide between turbo upgrade or I/C. Did they do exhaust side only, or both exhaust and compressor sides?
Do you notice any negative changes to driveability? Turbo lag, etc?

Cheers,
Geoff
No, it is only 3in exhaust and dump. I honestly have not noticed any down side to the turbo mod. Motsons also do a couple of choices in IC that I am also considering. I think it was $1800 for a 180% better IC performance but you need to replace the bonnet scoop which isn't in the cost . They don't do that and have to take it to a Panel beater to do. I'm seriously considering it.....

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
No, it is only 3in exhaust and dump. I honestly have not noticed any down side to the turbo mod. Motsons also do a couple of choices in IC that I am also considering. I think it was $1800 for a 180% better IC performance but you need to replace the bonnet scoop which isn't in the cost . They don't do that and have to take it to a Panel beater to do. I'm seriously considering it.....
Thanks Teabag,

No Motson's in Melbourne, but MTQ are not far from me. MTQ have a couple of upgrade options for the factory turbo. They can upgrade the turbo exhaust wheel only, or both the inlet and exhaust wheels. I'm told if both wheels are done it will make more power, but it can be a bit laggy and not as nice to drive. Did Motson's do both turbo wheels on yours, or just the exhaust side?

The Cross Country "Ultimate" intercooler looks very tasty.........

Cheers,
Geoff

·
4.2TDi GUIV Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Teabag,

No Motson's in Melbourne, but MTQ are not far from me. MTQ have a couple of upgrade options for the factory turbo. They can upgrade the turbo exhaust wheel only, or both the inlet and exhaust wheels. I'm told if both wheels are done it will make more power, but it can be a bit laggy and not as nice to drive. Did Motson's do both turbo wheels on yours, or just the exhaust side?

The Cross Country "Ultimate" intercooler looks very tasty.........

Cheers,
Geoff
Mate, To be honest, I'm not sure if they did both or just the one. It would be worth giving them a call to find out what they actually do and see if that is the same as MTQ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts