Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my swag out today and the thing is covered in mould. it was kept inside in a closet and still got mouldy.

I've hosed it off and am leaving it out to dry, i am justwondering if this will be enough?

Any tips or tricks on cleaning it and preventing it from happening again?

Also what to do with the mattress?

Cheers for any help!
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
21,635 Posts
Mate. I've been there. Tried several remedies and all failed. Had to chuck it out in the end and learned the lesson. Dry it thoroughly before you put it away and when you do, make sure the storage area is well ventilated.

My wife swears that sponging with vinegar helps but I think that's arsepaper. The stink is bad enough to make you throw it in the bin anyway. Save yourself the trouble and go for the doctor ie Bin.
 

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Joined
·
48,274 Posts
My full length Drizabone (from a previous life) does exactly the same thing, naturally enough I don't get much chance to use it up here in QLD so it hangs in a wardrobe.

I just take it out and hang it in the sun, give it a good brush off with a stiff brush and let it hang for several days in a dry open air spot. Actually just put it away yesterday. Looks like new again.

I never use anything other than water on things like that.
 

·
Autos are Superior
Joined
·
11,701 Posts
Google has dozens of solutions.
 

·
Premium Member
nissan
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
We had our two Chinese ones and our double Oztrail get covered in mould once. My bad, I thought they were dry but they weren't.

Simple solution, I sprayed the crap out of them with vinegar that I put in a spray bottle and then karchered them with a low pressure and whamo all good. I applied a canvas water proofing agent to the cheaper ones because they were starting to leak anyway but the Oztrail is as good as new and doen't leak a drop (I tested it by leaving a sprinkler on it for 3 hours and didn't even realise that the wind had blown the sprinkler over so it was squirting right on the top and it still didn't get a drop inside!

Yes vinegar smells, but I left them setup on the back lawn for a week and the smell pretty much disappeared in that time. I think from memory there might have been a hint of it the next time, but it wasn't enough to worry about.
 

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Pool Chlorine or bleach will kill the mould and should remove it but it may also stain or make your swag white.

You could try weak dilutions but not sure how it would fix the mould or if it would still mark the swag.

Maybe you could ring a swag or tent maker and see what they advise?

To store them, make sure they are dry and seal them in a thick Plastic bag ( or several light ones) with plenty of silica gell or that anti damp stuff you can get to put in your wardrobe etc. Works perfect.
I had the same problem on a bunch of things. There's a moisture problem behind our shower which backs onto our hall closet. Anyhow, I wiped everything down with a strongish solution of household bleach, left them in the sun and all good now. Thing is to make sure you leave the bleach on to kill the mould and the spores. So what if your green swag fades or is discoloured by it.... Still works te same (make sure you give it a spray with waterproofer).
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
100 Posts
Clove oil is the **** on mould. All my family up north use it when the
Patrols and cruisers start growing some.
 

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Clove oil is the **** on mould. All my family up north use it when the
Patrols and cruisers start growing some.
Really? I love the smell of clove oil!
 

·
Registered
nissan
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shouldn't sun kill the spores though?

i mean the reason it has started growing was cause it was in a damp unventilated place.

so if i leave it out in the sun for a week that should sort it out?
 

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Joined
·
48,274 Posts
shouldn't sun kill the spores though?

i mean the reason it has started growing was cause it was in a damp unventilated place.

so if i leave it out in the sun for a week that should sort it out?

My point exactly from earlier post. Fresh water, a brush and a good dose of sun will do it nicely, without damaging the material.
 

·
Premium Member
nissan
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
It might, but I wanted to make sure it was all dead. Mine was inside and outside the swag. So it was going to be hard to get good sun coverage over all the affected areas.

The vinegar didn't' damage the material, so you can try the sun first if you like and if you're not happy go the vinegar. I just went vinegar straight up though, wanted the stuff gone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
682 Posts
Hang it somewhere nice and dry after spraying it with vinigar, bleach will quicken the failure time of the canvas. Don't think it's dry, make sure.
 

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Yeah mate gets rid of mould beautifully. Shame you can't buy it in Brisbane after all the floods ;)
I have a small vial that i distilled at uni years ago! My dad thought it was heroin or somehting when he found it in my pocket when i got home! LoL. It took quite a lot of explaining, and opening it to tell him to sniff it!:D

At least i KNOW my parents were'nt on drucgs when i was concieved / born!:cool:
 

·
Registered
Nissan
Joined
·
797 Posts
Break out with the banking soda to kill the stink.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top