Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to run a heavy positive cable from the aux battery to the rear of my GU and terminate it at a dual 12v studs (-/+) mounted to the under side of the body adjacent the rear chassis mount (above the exhaust). A 225amp fuse is already mounted close to the battery. I plan to earth the aux battery to the chassis rail and use chassis rail as the negative return from the negative stud.

My idea is to use the stud as an easy point to connect power into the rear for a fridge and in future to connect a rear Anderson plug and extra lights.

The studs i have looked at have insulated bases but only a cap on the top. This would have the connection insulated from the body/chassis but exposed to water and mud.

Is there a better way to terminate this cable and provide connections for heavy cable (500 amp)?

Cheers

Grogey

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
You could terminate the positive on a fuse block like this one in the back. I have 3 of these throughout my rig.

Blocks - Products - Narva
You can run more cable on from the post stud on the fuse block for a fridge, anderson plug etc. and run other accessories up to 25A each from the fuse block itself. Earth everything to the body as it's already grounded to the negative on the batteries.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could terminate the positive on a fuse block like this one in the back. I have 3 of these throughout my rig.

Blocks - Products - Narva
You can run more cable on from the post stud on the fuse block for a fridge, anderson plug etc. and run other accessories up to 25A each from the fuse block itself. Earth everything to the body as it's already grounded to the negative on the batteries.
Thanks Sudso,

Have you or would you mount one of these under the body?

Cheers Grogey

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Thanks Sudso,

Have you or would you mount one of these under the body?

Cheers Grogey
Nah and I wouldn't. They're plastic, not exactly sealed, and would probably get trashed off road but if you sprayed battery terminal protector over all the connections after it's all wired they'd be safe enough from corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts