Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day I'm looking at putting an aluminium canopy on my ute and leave enough room to mount 2 spares side by side between the headboard and canopy has anyone got any pics of how they have mounted theirs so they are secure from theft and are able to roll them on and off the side of the ute. thanks

·
Registered
nissan
50 Posts
Have a look at Slowkzuki's build (portals) he has a great way of mounting his tyre on his tray. bit had to explain but he has picture of it, lockable too !

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I did see his set up with the chains, strap over the tyre and latch when I was searching earlier today.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
For ease of set up, you can't beat Slowzuki's set up! However a if to more complicated technique I've seen around a few times on mine cars at work is a pivoting mount that brings the tyre down to an easier to reach level, as well as being easier to push up onto the tray. After changing a tyre full of mud, I like this idea over my usual roll the tyre up my leg and onto my chest technique when outing tyres up high!

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For ease of set up, you can't beat Slowzuki's set up! However a if to more complicated technique I've seen around a few times on mine cars at work is a pivoting mount that brings the tyre down to an easier to reach level, as well as being easier to push up onto the tray. After changing a tyre full of mud, I like this idea over my usual roll the tyre up my leg and onto my chest technique when outing tyres up high!
Thanks I'll just seeing if there are any other ideas out there

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
I have been trying to engineer (in my head) a spare wheel carrier that folds down from the back, from vertical to horizontal, I've got some ideas but you can't rush production8)

·
Registered
nissan
648 Posts
Made a centre wedge out of MDF that I fibreglassed that goes between the tyres, under neath the wedge I have a u bolt and then have one long single tie down going over one tyre, through a hole in the wedge, out again and over the other tyre.

My slide on canopy buts up against the alloy rhs frame that the tyres sit in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I ended up doing I picked up an 1800 x 1800 3 door canopy from "matesratestools with ladder rack all doors keyed alike for $2,220. Made a metal frame for they tyres and put checker plate on it for a divider/backboard to separate the tyres and the tray so when the canopy is off it'll look just like a normal ute tray and I can fit my canvas cover back on as well. It's not quite finished yet I've decided to go with the chain over the tyre and an over centre latch to hold the tyres in thanks again for everyone's help.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Nice work, still deciding on how I'll mount mine, big fan of slowzuki's tie down method.

Just as a note on the matesratestools boxes. If you intend on hitting any corrugations be prepared for all the welds to split. Had some of their under tray boxes and they did just that. Ended up replacing with some 2mm thick zinc-anneal ones, luckily just before a big trip.

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice work, still deciding on how I'll mount mine, big fan of slowzuki's tie down method.

Just as a note on the matesratestools boxes. If you intend on hitting any corrugations be prepared for all the welds to split. Had some of their under tray boxes and they did just that. Ended up replacing with some 2mm thick zinc-anneal ones, luckily just before a big trip.
I can see where steel would be a lot stronger but my car is on a diet due to gvm restrictions. My under tray boxes are from matesratestools as well their 2.0mm thick I won't be putting heavy things in them were your boxes 2.0mm, how did you mount them, what sort of weight was in them I'd be interested to know if their were any other contributing factors other than corrugations or is it common for alloy boxes to split in other brands as well ? The canopy is 2.5mm and my 4 under tray tool boxes I fitted in april last year. I used 9 x 25mm x 6mm metal tec screws in the roof of each one 3 rows x 3 per row with thread lock and some silicone around each hole for water which I thought was an overkill and they are also supported by the alloy mudguards on one side with 2 x M8 bolts as well so at least they won't fall off in a hurry. The only reason I can see mine splitting is because of the flex in the alloy tray maybe.

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to put up pics when I finished time goes by fast I put a 2nd chain threw the centre of the rim as well made of hardened steel for added security just in case the main one fails the wheel won't come off.

Attachments

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Yeah a few times i have had 2 flats. I just drove 10 hours to my hunting property. This happened and i still had 3 hours of shi t road to go so i had to get it fixed took hours to sort out so i could keep going with confidence.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I haven't but then again you usually start to head home once you get a flat if you can't fix it and if your mates have different rims.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
Just wondering has anyone ever needed their 2 spares ?
A few times.

Out following some of the old wood-lines in the goldfields of WA I did two in a very short timeframe and a mate did 3 when we circumnavigated Lake Johnstone not long after a fire had gone through. Somehow I missed all the stakes and he collected lots.

Some old exploration tracks in the Pilbara took a toll on my tyres

And once on the Nullagine Rd in the Pilbara, which is just a graded road and nothing special, two flats in 150km's and bugger me if I got a slow leak on the return trip, luckily I noticed it as I turned onto the bitumen 10km's from home for the night. That was enough to turn me off Pirelli tyres for life (admittedly they were at highway pressure and I was sitting on $1.10)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts