Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to mount my new Mako 12,000lb winch (with synthetic rope) onto an OEM (ARB) steel winch bar on my GUII Patrol. I've rotated the clutch assembly so that the clutch lever is accessible when the winch is mounted sideways (no probs) but looking at the four mounting holes on the bull bar, I'm having problems working out how/where to mount the winch! The problem relates to the location of the rope hawser and whether the rope spools off the winch from the BOTTOM (which is my understanding) or from the TOP. Looking at the mounting points on the bull bar, and the space for the rope to feed through, it seems that the only place to mount the hawser is at the TOP rather than at the BOTTOM. Does this mean that I have to rotate the winch so that the rope spools from the TOP? In doing so, the third tie bar (which is located further back from the front of the winch) then seems very close to the rope... Aaaargh!Can someone please help? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
Should be able to sit the winch so that the gearbox is on the DS and the motor is on the PS. Then rotate the dis/engage handle. Fairlead should then align with the two top holes in the bar and winch and spool on the correct side.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Should be able to sit the winch so that the gearbox is on the DS and the motor is on the PS. Then rotate the dis/engage handle. Fairlead should then align with the two top holes in the bar and winch and spool on the correct side.
x2

Don't re-spool the rope as not all winch can pull in both direction. It is ok to spool in from the top, if you bolt the winch the nissan bar way (bolt in front).

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - in between posting the query I'd had another look and done just that. Good to know that it was the right solution! Cheers Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts