Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,510 Posts
Just make sure you clean and re-oil it correctly and it will last for a very long time
I do mine at 10,000k intervals and I do a lot of dirt road driving. I switch between my K&N and BMC.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,510 Posts
Are the BMC filters as good/same quality as K&N?
I’ve never had a BMC, price similar to K&N?
Absolutely as good, had mine a long time so can't remember price, I think I said earlier that the BMC is a slightly smaller OD giving a little more open space around the filter. The main difference is you will need to remove the top 'sponge' seal and the bottom 'lip' seal from a STD filter and glue them to the BMC filter.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
133 Posts
From my understanding the MAF works on a filament similar to an incandescent light bulb. The ECU requires the filament to be at a specific temperature. As more air flows over the filament it cools. The ECU increases voltage accordingly to keep the filament at the required temperature. This is what tells the injector pump when and how much to increase fueling. Colder/increased the air flow would be best for increased power.

The only issue I would look at, moving the MAF closer to the turbo, would be the air temp possibly being affected by the latent heat, being closer to the turbo. It may be negligible but if you test it an find no real difference then great. Let us know if there is any affect on the MAF temps and voltages.

I have a GU RD28eti. I have a rectangular shaped airbox with a K&N 8" pod filter - located where the coolant reservoir was originally mounted. Airbox has 4" inlet and 3" outlet to MAF. 3" pipe reduced to 2.5" to turbo. I am running a GQ manifold with a GT2056s (factory turbo from an Iveco Daily 2.8TD) into a 3" exhaust. With this setup my MAF sits pretty much in the same location as factory setup. I also use an ECUTalk which shows the instantaneous MAF voltage.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
From my understanding the MAF works on a filament similar to an incandescent light bulb. The ECU requires the filament to be at a specific temperature. As more air flows over the filament it cools. The ECU increases voltage accordingly to keep the filament at the required temperature. This is what tells the injector pump when and how much to increase fueling. Colder/increased the air flow would be best for increased power.

The only issue I would look at, moving the MAF closer to the turbo, would be the air temp possibly being affected by the latent heat, being closer to the turbo. It may be negligible but if you test it an find no real difference then great. Let us know if there is any affect on the MAF temps and voltages.

I have a GU RD28eti. I have a rectangular shaped airbox with a K&N 8" pod filter - located where the coolant reservoir was originally mounted. Airbox has 4" inlet and 3" outlet to MAF. 3" pipe reduced to 2.5" to turbo. I am running a GQ manifold with a GT2056s (factory turbo from an Iveco Daily 2.8TD) into a 3" exhaust. With this setup my MAF sits pretty much in the same location as factory setup. I also use an ECUTalk which shows the instantaneous MAF voltage.

View attachment 542210
Looks like a good setup there @RoBoCoP has the bigger inlet pipe improved power and increased maf voltage? I’m still waiting on some parts to come before I can finish what I plan to do.
Hopefully everything comes this week so I can have it done on the weekend and I will let you know.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,500 Posts
The MAF is powered with 5V and Gnd, and provides to the ECU a voltage which is a "measure" of the quantity of air. The ECU "just" uses the MAF voltage value as an input to define fueling.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts