Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an attempt to rectify a couple issues with my MQ160 LWB "Fat Girl" i removed my instrument panel

my speedo, odometer clock, temperature gauges don't work

fuel works, but doesn't go all the way to to F, when tank is filled, it stops at 1/4 at most

backlight works (although dim), turn and high beam signals work

speedo problem is the speedo cable - not spinning (getting assistance with that in another thread)

Clock is busted, considering replacing it with a tach . . . different story for another day

clock powered by 24V as well

temperature sensor on the engine is disconnected and no wires can be found, so i want to trace it back from the gauge to possibly rewire

I have read above that some of your vehicles have 12V gauges and others have 24V

I have removed my instrument cluster and done some investigation, mine appears to me 24V

when I removed the cluster I found that the gauges get their 24V power and signal from a circular 'flower' connector

it connects to the back of the instrument cluster

I put my multimeter to those pins and discovered the following pin out:

7 & 10 do not have any pins, so no signal there

can anyone help me identify the 4 unknown pins? I got no reading when checking them

I figure one would be the temp signal, fuel signal, oil pressure signal and voltmeter\charge signal

5 & 6 both carry 24V when the engine is on, so I figure one is the voltmeter signal and the other is a common power for all guages

one has to be a ground, so that leaves 3 unidentified pins

since my temp sensor doesn't have any wires (#4 in this pic), I figure there would be no reading in that pin -- but which pin is it ?

would the fuel signal be between 0 and 24V to allow the needle to only be part way between E and F ?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Just follow the tracks on the printed circuit board from those pins. The signal wire for the gauges will come directly from the gauge, nothing else should be connected to the track.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
A faulty voltage regulator could be the cause of the fuel gauge reading out especially if the engine temperature gauge is also reading out.

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Yendor, you are superbly awesome

that wiring diagram pretty much confirmed the pins that I have found and identified the unknowns

Now I know where to find the ones that I was looking for

I have update my diagram to show the previously unidentified pins

My fuel gauge does work sometimes, when the tank is full the gauge reads 1/4

how\can I change the faulty voltage regulator?

The signal wire for the gauges will come directly from the gauge, nothing else should be connected to the track.
Not sure what you mean by this

my oil pressure gauge works when the engine is running, but I do not get any signal in pin #10

where does the fuel and oil pressure gauges get the input signal that the fuel tank is 1/4, 1/2 or full ?

i don't mean the sensor output on the fuel sensor in the tank, i am referring to the other end of that cable that feeds the instrument cluster gauge, where is it ?

similarly, my tempt sensor on the engine doesn't have any wires attached to it so i am sure that is why there is no reading on the temp gauge.

I want to run fresh wires to teh gauge, but where do i connect them ?

hope this makes sense

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this
It was just another way for you to confirm the correct pin in the connector.
my oil pressure gauge works when the engine is running, but I do not get any signal in pin #10
It should be a varying voltage that changes once the engine is started and revved.
where does the fuel and oil pressure gauges get the input signal that the fuel tank is 1/4, 1/2 or full ?

i don't mean the sensor output on the fuel sensor in the tank, i am referring to the other end of that cable that feeds the instrument cluster gauge, where is it ?
Power comes in for the gauges via pin1,it then goes to the voltage regulators and then to the gauges.
similarly, my tempt sensor on the engine doesn't have any wires attached to it so i am sure that is why there is no reading on the temp gauge.

I want to run fresh wires to teh gauge, but where do i connect them ?
The temperature sensor is connected to pin 5. Have you checked that the wire is just not hanging down beside the engine under the radiator hose?. It should be the same colour wire thats at pin 5.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
My fuel gauge does work sometimes, when the tank is full the gauge reads 1/4

how\can I change the faulty voltage regulator?
This was just a guess. It needs to be checked. The voltage regulator will be part of one of the gauges. I think it's the temperature gauge. I would take the instrument cluster to a instrument repair shop and get them to test and repair it.

The interesting thing is in your first post you said pin 1 had 24 volts. In Australia these gauges run off 12 volts. So I'm not sure if your vehicle has 24 volt gauges or if your 12 volt accessory circuit has been played with. The person who checks your gauge will be able to tell you what the working voltage should be.

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The interesting thing is in your first post you said pin 1 had 24 volts. In Australia these gauges run off 12 volts. So I'm not sure if your vehicle has 24 volt gauges or if your 12 volt accessory circuit has been played with. The person who checks your gauge will be able to tell you what the working voltage should be.
Mine is a Safari outta Japan, so 24V feed to the gauges

everywhere is 24V, A/C controlsbacklight, handbrake warning lamp, headlamps, brake lamps . . . everywhere

I looked at the radiator area, which side would the temp sensor wires be?

I am RHD, so exhaust\throttle side (L) or fuel rail side (R) ?

upon checking again, my oil pressure gauge doesn't work, so I get no voltage fluctuations on pin #10

neither do I get any voltage signal on Pin #3 for the fuel level, so I am thinking that there isn't a signal on the circuit possibly because the fuel level sender in the fuel tank isn't working or the signal cable is broken.

I am gonna have to trace that wire and see if I get any signal, closer to the tank

are u saying that because my voltage regulators are bad, that might explain why the fuel gauge goes up to 1/4, even though there isn't a signal on the line?

pardon me if I seem daft, I am relatively new to auto electrics

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
I looked at the radiator area, which side would the temp sensor wires be?
It's not in the radiator it's in the engine.

neither do I get any voltage signal on Pin #3 for the fuel level, so I am thinking that there isn't a signal on the circuit possibly because the fuel level sender in the fuel tank isn't working or the signal cable is broken.
If you fuel gauge rises when you fill the tank the circuit must be complete.

are u saying that because my voltage regulators are bad, that might explain why the fuel gauge goes up to 1/4, even though there isn't a signal on the line?
No, I suggested it could possible be a faulty voltage regulator because your fuel gauge was reading out.

It could also be a faulty sender in the fuel tank.

Does the fuel gauge drop as fuel is used?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
upon checking again, my oil pressure gauge doesn't work, so I get no voltage fluctuations on pin #10

You need to have the instrument cluster plugged in to check this.

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to have the instrument cluster plugged in to check this.
I plugged it in and I am not getting any reading, so that explains no signal on pin#10. Will have to looks for that pressure sender separately.

It's not in the radiator it's in the engine.
That is what I mean, which side of the radiator should I look. I have found a 24V wire on the exhaust\throttle side (L) that isnt plugged into anything. looks too short to reach the temp sensor though

If you fuel gauge rises when you fill the tank the circuit must be complete.

No, I suggested it could possible be a faulty voltage regulator because your fuel gauge was reading out.

It could also be a faulty sender in the fuel tank.

Does the fuel gauge drop as fuel is used?
Yes my fuel gauge does rise when I fill the tank, so I will have to find the wires that connect to the intank sensor

no voltage on pin #3 though, so I am thinking taht the fuel level signal isn't reaching teh gauges

1 - 10 of 10 Posts