1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , glad i found this forum. thanks for letting me be part of it

I have some questions if anyone could help me out
I have an MQ , with an L28, i bought as a project, looking at putting another motor in Not sure which way to go atm, I pretty sure its got a bigend knock, altho it only has 218,000klms original apparantly, any suggestions????, have heard V6 commy pre vr is reasonably easy???

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
840 Posts
Welcome!
Straight six rb30 probably....
I am planning a rb25de neo swap soon. Done 317k km still spinning up to red line. Auto 3 speed gearbox is on its way out...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I fitted a rb30s to my old MK.

There was a noticeable increase in power compared to the old L28, but I was looking at efi it as I wanted more power. The truck was knocked off so I never had the chance - now running a TB42s GQ.

It was a lot of work - not sure if the power gain was worth it.

No changes are required to the drive train, shafts, chassis mounting points.

The 2 top bolt on the bell housing need to be sloted to line up - do a search on this forum for more info.

I used the l28 radiator - extended the top hose to meet the inlet. Bottom hose is a standard rb30s hose

Reactions: Nodscars

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
What you need -

RB30 carby version - ex gq is easier as these are carby. The sump has the hump at the back. A VL rb30 has the hump at the front.

I was able to remount my air compressor to the rb30.

VL or GQ rb30 alt - vl use serpentine belts, I used the pullys of the gq Rb30s.

The major issue.

The motor and box need to be tilted to the passenger side by a lot. When I first fitted the motor. It was hitting the steering shaft. I have to make new engine mounts.

Power steering. I used a rb30s power steering pump and remote resevior. I had pirot make me a hybrid high pressure power steering hose ( box end was MK, motor end was rb30s)

Wiring was simple - rb30s have the coil pack mounted on the motor.

Picked up the alt and oil temp wires.

Reactions: Nodscars

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
I'll sell you my Vn V8 and 5 speed conversion. Complete radiator to tail shafts.

·
Registered
nissan MQ
185 Posts
Why not just drop the sump and check the big end bearings? Easy job. A set of new bearings costs very little. Well under $100.

At 218,000km the bores would still be like new. So you really have a good motor there. The rings might wear out in another 50,000 to 100,000, depending on how often the oil has been, and will be, changed. And then you have a nice little engine re-build project. Have re-built my L28 motor a couple of times now. Good fun. A bit time consuming, but I find it a satisfying past time. And not expensive. A bit over $1000 which included complete cylinder head re-co, new pistons, rings, bearings and timing chain kit. Did it with-out taking motor out, and without removing crank-shaft. Lots of info on re-building Z motors on the Z forum. Anplenty of folk on this forum, including myself, can advise if you have any queries.

Like I said, if you have a torque wrench, or can buy or borrow one, for the big-end nuts, then you can't get a much easier job to do on your motor. A lot easier than welding in new engine mounts etc etc for a different motor. Love my L28. Good little motor IMO. Lots of info on re-building Z motors on the Z forum.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
^^ Yes, L28's a probably the most reliable engines in MQ's/MK's, maybe of all Patrols!

You can rev them all day long to 6500 rpm without a issue! I accidentaly revved mine to 8000 rpm once and nothing happend! The valves where floating like hell. I also had it very hot once when my fan let go and I didn't look at the temp gauge but again, nothing happend and the old L series still runs like a dream with 300.000km on it without a rebuild. It doesn't just any oil or coolant and always fires up before you can blink you eyes.

I was thinking of going for a different engine but i felt guilty for passing on my L28 so I just keep it in there.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
^^ Yes, L28's a probably the most reliable engines in MQ's/MK's, maybe of all Patrols!
Better put the flame suit on. The TD brigade will be along soon.
...If they don't overheat or snap a crank along the way :D

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
TD most over rated engine ever. I may be shouted down for that one but just my 2c.
fix ya L28.:victory:

·
Registered
nissan
257 Posts
I've got an L28 cylinder head with camshaft and valves sitting on my garage shelf, fully reconditioned and never used.

Free to a good home for the cost of postage, if anyone needs one.

And if I lived in VIC I'd be seriously talking to you NEO6GU, my SWB used to be a V8 apparently.

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
I've bought motors from QLD before, freight wasn't an issue, about $100, I sent one only cost me $50
that was for cash. might be able to swing that still.

·
Registered
nissan
257 Posts
No, you can't say things like that to me. No. Stop it. The wife already tells me I've wasted a huge amount on the old girl!

However, she's just told me I can have it. And I was talking to a guy today who could fit it for me....

Oh dear. This could get messy :)

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got an L28 cylinder head with camshaft and valves sitting on my garage shelf, fully reconditioned and never used.

Free to a good home for the cost of postage, if anyone needs one.

And if I lived in VIC I'd be seriously talking to you NEO6GU, my SWB used to be a V8 apparently.
do you still have them?

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the advice everyone, has some more thinking to do I think, on a different note, does anyone have a tail gate and full glass with all hinges ect, apparantly my equally matched rear barn doors are so rare I can no longer by door seals or glass seals,lol around the Rockhampton area QLD

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
It will be easier and cheaper to get seals made up.

There would be a substantial amount of work to convert to a tailgate setup.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
24 Posts
If you have a borescope/cheap aldi inspection camera,
Stick it down the plug holes and check each cylinder out.

Theyre getting cheaper every day saw one for 50bucks at repco a while back.
Or comp test the motor 100bucks for bearings is. Better than swapping motors..

Made it without overheating or snapping my crankshaft too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts