Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after sitting under a cover since August when I got a newer more toddler friendly car, I've finally decided to tackle the standard mq rust. First up is the radiator support. There's no chance I'll find a not rusty one so my options are either replaced only the rusted sections, or the whole radiator support from a gq. The dimensions are different but I can't see why it couldn't be modified. Has anyone done this?

I've found a gq panel in great condition and if its doable, I'll do it. Where my radiator support meets the inner quarters there is more rust so im hoping this will just save time and stuffing round. Of course I lost the dimensions I'd written down of the gq panel. Thought?

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
mines got the same issue, has piece of heavy angle welded in place across both the front body mounts
Does the GQ rad support even go close to fitting?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
It'll take a lot of cutting to get the GQ panel to fit, since the chassis' are different widths.
You'd probably be best off cutting replacement sections out of the GQ panel if they can be made to fit individually.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reckon overall width was about 150mm more on the gq.. radiator hole has about an extra 100mm either side give or take.. and the body mounts are further apart. Thinking i could cut some out of the centre on a vertical axis and weld back together. In a thread about putting gq guards and gril on mq someone actually mentioned welding the gq rad support in but no more was said and that personseems inactive now.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So behind the quarter panel isn't too bad surprisingly! Directly above the headlight on the top side of the radiator support is pretty rusty and has had a bad bog job done. Both sides are like this. But first things first, so yesterday i got stuck into some chassis rust near the bullbar mount.

I got this far before this happened

Hit the bone so off to get stitches. By the time i got home it was too dark to work and the missus wouldn't let me.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be still there? Putting the kid into childcare so should manage to get a couple hours work done.

·
Registered
nissan
299 Posts
yep see them now don,t forget to check for rust where the airbox/aircon suck air from don,t no the proper name is behind the dash. had 2 now that where gone there u go around a corner and the passger gets wet feet + rush out floor

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Love the action pics. Every rebuild topic should show the carnage that happens, it's a part of the process :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep see them now don,t forget to check for rust where the airbox/aircon suck air from don,t no the proper name is behind the dash. had 2 now that where gone there u go around a corner and the passger gets wet feet + rush out floor
Good tip, thanks bloke. I did find a fair bit of rust there when I replaced the heater tap and core 2 years ago and fish oiled it nice and thick. Needless to say it stunk pretty bad with the heater on! I'll be pulling out the dash to remove the last of the ac gear when I'm done doing the rusty bits on the exterior and I'll do an endless air setup.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love the action pics. Every rebuild topic should show the carnage that happens, it's a part of the process :)
Got the missus a good one by hiding the top of the finger and telling her I need a bucket of ice and a lift to hospital, she freaked right out! I was in stitches (pun intended).

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the plate welded in nicely, bit hard to clean the weld on the inside edge due to lack of space even with a die grinder. I was destroying a grinder bit in about a minute flat! It was rust treated then i used a weld through primer inside and out before welding. Pics to follow. Out of curiosity, how have you guys tackled the hollow spot behind the rad support on either side directly behind chassis mount points? It seem useless and an invitation to rust. Im considering soda blast then rust proof primer before i fill the whole hollow spot with expanding filler.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice, i reckon expanding filler is a bit much, though with the extra support in the front it might lift the ancap rating to about a 50th of a star. Anyone know what the exact thickness of a body mount rubber from factory was? Before i destroyed everything i took measurements but they've been attacked with crayons and torn up. They originals are so squashec i dont wanna rely on them before i cut and weld today. I think an inch?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After lots of thought and given the amount of rust and therefore work involved, ive been forced to rethink what i want out of this car and time and money restraints. So, apart from the radiator support panel, im going to use fibre reinforced filler with mesh where necessary. I know ill need to do it againin a few years but by then a nicer sd33t might be on the cards.
Can anyone recommend a good fibre reinforced filler?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
I used K&H Metal Mend, from memory it's supposed to have steel mixed... dunno how that works, but there ya go.

You'll need a finishing bog to go on top, the metalmend is just for filling, its a p.rick to work with - difficult to apply and does not sand down nicely.

Obviously welding is a better option, but bog isn't a too bad option but prep is everything. You'll still have to get rid of existing rust, and smother what you can't remove with rust converter. A clean surface is important too, otherwise the bog won't stick properly.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive used metal mend before on motorbikes and its really good for the bits that aren't holes. I dont like using filler at all if i can help it. Ive come across this stuff called miracle paint which has good reviews and sounds grwat but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPNaBAKFs

I can get it through a guy in Australia online, about $70 a litre and can be used with fibreglass matting or mesh.
Something like this will be ideal as i really just want to have a summer fling with the old girl and I don't want a showcar .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts