Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On a mission
2013 Ranger
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads,
Me and the missus have never been down to Mt Gambier and was looking at crusin down for a couple of days and having a suss.
Just wondering whats to see, good places to stay and the like...

Cheers in advance..

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
canunda national park for 4x4ing lots here to keep you ammused for a couple days, random drives out through the pines might even find some mud but i woudnt go by yourself, as previously said b;lue lake, cave tours beaches, all depends when ur thinking of coming this way, best time is now

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I agree now is the best time to see the blue lake (volcano crater). Missus and I passed through there last Sunday and it was irridessant blue. We had tea in the park at the other crater lake which is nice there too, except the KFC was disgusting.
There's cave gardens in the main street and another along Jubilee Highway? and both are well worth a visit. Apart from that it's your typical rural city with plenty of good quality eateries and accomodation options. Plenty of short drives from there too ie: Port MacDonnell, Piccaninnie ponds, Tantanoola Caves, State Pine Forests, etc.
Just get some info at the Visitor info centre when you get there.

·
On a mission
2013 Ranger
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep cheers..

canunda national park for 4x4ing lots here to keep you ammused for a couple days, random drives out through the pines might even find some mud but i woudnt go by yourself, as previously said b;lue lake, cave tours beaches, all depends when ur thinking of coming this way, best time is now
I agree now is the best time to see the blue lake (volcano crater). Missus and I passed through there last Sunday and it was irridessant blue. We had tea in the park at the other crater lake which is nice there too, except the KFC was disgusting.
There's cave gardens in the main street and another along Jubilee Highway? and both are well worth a visit. Apart from that it's your typical rural city with plenty of good quality eateries and accomodation options. Plenty of short drives from there too ie: Port MacDonnell, Piccaninnie ponds, Tantanoola Caves, State Pine Forests, etc.
Just get some info at the Visitor info centre when you get there.
Thanx guys, thinking off headin down in 2 weeks from today, sorta our honeymoon. Got married 3 days before xmas and missus couldnt get any time off, farken retail job, so we've both worked right thru and got some time off from the 14th.. Only a short period so we thought we'd stay local..
End of the year is a major get away... Thinkin a cruise but, not quite sure yet..
Thanks for your input..

Cheers, Torsten

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
take the coast road down through Meningie (great bakery), the Coorong, through Kingston (SE), down to Robe, on to Beachport, through Millicent and down to the Mount. As has been said before, tourist centres along the way have heaps of info, especially at Beachport, Miilicent and the Mount. If you have time on your way to the Mount, and like an easy 15km beach drive, ask at Beachport how to get on the beach at Rivoli Bay (Beachport to South End). If its a weekend, I am sure either some of our members or the Mt Gambier 4wd club, will show you through the dunes. There are members of both clubs on this forum.

·
On a mission
2013 Ranger
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take the coast road down through Meningie (great bakery), the Coorong, through Kingston (SE), down to Robe, on to Beachport, through Millicent and down to the Mount. As has been said before, tourist centres along the way have heaps of info, especially at Beachport, Miilicent and the Mount. If you have time on your way to the Mount, and like an easy 15km beach drive, ask at Beachport how to get on the beach at Rivoli Bay (Beachport to South End). If its a weekend, I am sure either some of our members or the Mt Gambier 4wd club, will show you through the dunes. There are members of both clubs on this forum.
Thanx mate.. Am actually lookin at doin main raods thru Naracoorte to suss caves then doin coast road on the way home. Probably gonna do 2 nights in Mt Gambier the do a night or 2 on the way home on the coast somewhere...

·
8,549 Posts
Yeah ive heard that some of the road along there is farked..
If your suspension or steering is farked it'll show but otherwise it's ok.

·
8,549 Posts
Thanx mate.. Am actually lookin at doin main raods thru Naracoorte to suss caves then doin coast road on the way home. Probably gonna do 2 nights in Mt Gambier the do a night or 2 on the way home on the coast somewhere...
If you're taking the 4by why not jump on to the beach at Beachport, Robe, or Kingston. From Kingston you can drive all the way to the Murray mouth or jump off the beach and back to the highway every 10-20 kays or so. Nice beaches anywhere along the coast anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts