Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I literally wrote out a whole build and it vanished :( so here goes again

I am only new to the fourbie thing, having owned many of fast cars from gtr's to rx7s to chasers to 2jz powered lexus sleepers and now a pair of skylines. But i wanted a tow car for my skyline so i made probably my worst mistake.

I bought a 1998 Toyota Hilux extra cab
5" lift
35's
Turbo'd 5l motor

Sadly it went pop 5 weeks later, So a rebuild was done and after almost rolling it twice due to super stiff IFS, I put it up for sale. 5pm friday it was sold by 8pm i was halfway to the middle of nowhere to pick up a GU.

1998 GU patrol
RD28t - bag of dicks
6" lift
superior drop boxes
dead 35' tyres
cut and shut pannards
all the usual basics

within a few days i added the following
Summit mud hog 35's on dynamic 16" steelies
tigerz11 roof basket and side awning
Epic light bars
GU3 front lights
Tint
TJM bullbar

So for the sum of $5000 I drove away in a patrol, But theres a catch.
This rd28 had a fuel delivery issue which caused it to run like a retard sometimes. However any challenge i faced the big girl with whether it was towing the drift car, horse floats, beach runs, excavators, skull dragging. Its done it without fault, Slowly hence the plates but its done it!

So my plan all along was to upgrade the engine, Plan was always a td42, but i had a 500hp rb25 motor sitting in the shed and access to an LS1. Even threw the idea of a 7.3lt powerstroke. But i went back to the original plan of a td42.

Problem is i wanted a stock Td42 but my best mate who owns TD Mechanical twisted my arm and leg to make it a little more wild, So the mods are as follows:

2003 TD42 out of GU
245,000km

KM diesel's monster 11mm pump
Garrett gt2871r
Adrad desert country alloy radiator ($1230 :( )
Hi mount manifold
Full 3" stainless snorkel
Full 3" exhaust
Front mount intercooler
Guages

So as of monday the rd28 is coming out. With Ty @ td mechanical lending me full use of his workshop and knowledge to get the conversion done.
We are doing all the fabrication in house along with a few other goodies (sliders and tube bars)

So once i start the removal i will take some pics to throw up on here.. I just need someone to teach me how to attach the images so i can tag some in this post.

Any input or suggestions are welcome, Im still learning and want to absorb as much as i can. Also if anyone has similar setup im itching to find out how it will go :D

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, what we need is pics of what you do and then more pics and if the opportunity comes up, more pics :).

I will delete the second thread you have with the same info, just as a matter of interest, do you remember how this might have happened? we have been getting a lot of newby's posting double intro threads and I'm wondering why?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
There are several ways to upload pics, Photo Bucket etc. The method I use is in the panel above each post.

1. You will see "Paperclip" (beside the smilie) click on this and a manage attachments pane will come up with a "Browse" button.

2. Click on "Browse" and it will take you to your file system.

3. Search through your file system until you find the pic you want and click on it then press "Open" at the bottom of the file pane.

4. The Manage Attachments pane will return to the screen with the name of your pic beside "Browse".

5. Click "Upload" and your pic will be uploaded after a few seconds, depending on how big it is, I find .3 Mp is perfect size for a post, much bigger than that and you have to scroll across the page to view them and that's a pain in the arse.

6. Go back to the original "Paperclip" and click on it, you pic name will show up, to add more pics just do that all again and when your finished put the curser in the position in the post you want the pics to be placed, click on the "Paperclip" again and if you have a lot of pics (max 10) you will see insert all click on this to add all your pics (if you have just one this won't show just click on the pic name).

Now if on the other hand you are on a mobile...... I have no bloody idea!

I rest my case:
A real Cowboy has no Fear.jpg

2 headed bird.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so today the rd28 motor and box came out, engine mounts cut off. all associated rd bits removed. I only got time to fit the td42 box before id had enough and decided it was time for sleep. Not a bad effort for one day

Tried to remove my steering damper to replace it, Snapped the pin to get it out and turns out my "new one" leaks oil. good old Ironman. Going to buy a new toughdog RTC one tomorrow along with a front mount intercooler and all the materials for the exhaust, manifold and cooler piping. Hoping to have it all running by the weekend for a bribie trip if anyone is keen??

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so td42 is in and mounted. All welded up and sitting pretty. Plumbing up all the lines as we speak. Fitted the KM pump which is a tidy bit of kit. Picked up all my materials for the manifold, full exhaust and air box.

Pulled the turbo apart and soaked the front housing in gunwash looks brand new again.

Also the ironman steering damper i planned to use to replace my busted one was also no better, So bought a brand new tough dog extreme 35mm big bore one. Fitted that up. Hoping to get a solid days work in tommorrow and atleast have the underside done and starting on the fab and wiring :D

I probably will make the show and shine, however my truck is battle scarred until the respray comes (which is next)

Cheers for reading, Pics soon

Again Big thanks to my best mate Ty @ TD mechanical. without his facilities and invaluable help i would be stuffed!! much love!

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
pretty sure I saw you a couple of days ago through lawnton, looks alright. if it was you.

·
Registered
nissan
50 Posts
Tuff truck mate! i drive past your truck most mornings and i was wondering why it hasnt been there for the past few days. hope all goes well for ya :D

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tuff truck mate! i drive past your truck most mornings and i was wondering why it hasnt been there for the past few days. hope all goes well for ya :D
Oh do you? I hear heaps of trucks tear past all the time, If its not the patrol in the driveway its one of the skylines.

Thanks mate, almost done might even start today

·
Registered
nissan
67 Posts
I really dig them mate, I hate 35' bighorns previous to the summits and they were ****. Ill definitely get another set.
What are they like on the black stuff? I'm going back to 33s from 35" km2 and they are a brilliant tyre but way too dear.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drive mine everyday, Love them.

So its all in, starts and runs, Intake pipe is made. Didn't have time to fab the manifold so went low mount for now. Fitted up an intercooler behind the grill.

Tommorrow ill finish the accelerator pedal swap over. Make a braided clutch line and bleed it, Make the exhaust and hopefully take it for a drive.

Not bad for a start to finish conversion in 45Hours :D

·
Registered
nissan
187 Posts
45 hours! F**K, took me 6 weekends to do mine (GF in hospital with a busted appendix and other glitches)

But im glad my grenade is now a td42 haha

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah no ****ing around. Fabricated the full 3" exhaust tonight aswell as a intake pipe from turbo to airbox. had it running up to temp and let it idle. Needs a tune seems abit to advanced. But I called it a night, back in the morning to Finish alternator wiring, 4wd shifter, Pyro gauge and put it all back together before a test drive. Also made a braided clutch line worked a treat.

Yeah I was hoping to hit bribie tomorrow but ill get the tune sorted first. Gonna play with it tomorrow..

I have a loan phone whilst mines getting fixed which doesn't take good pics, the missus has been snapping away so ill post some up soon.

Big thanks to Ty @ TD mechanical, Without this bloke id be ****ed. If you need anything fabricated, mechanical, conversions.. anything he can do it all. From patrols to barinas... Hes the man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts