Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the announcement that Dic Neeson has lost his battle with a brain tumor today, it got me wondering the impact of some musicians deaths on their audience, so hence the question.

So, who and why? For me it was Robert Palmer, the gentleman rock and roller with the wicked sense of humour, loved his work throughout his career.

Why did it imact on my life? Well it finally made me realise I/we are not immortal, a sudden jarring realisation that brought me back to earth, there is more to life than just work. I'm not afraid of dying I just have a lot to do before it happens!!!!!!!!!

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
20,352 Posts
Didnt you like him gee?

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,345 Posts
No real impact as such. While I have been saddened from the loss of a few from bands that I greatly enjoyed like Kurt Cobain, Joey Ramone, Joe Strummer it hasn't really effected me.
It was more the music that they played that influenced me with the people I associated with growing up.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt you like him gee?
No not really, they weren't my cup of tea, I admired his tenacity and ability though. I know he appealed to thousands, that is what made me wonder about how the death of some musicians has effected some members.

I'm sticking with the 'undead,' The Rolling Stones. Nobody will ever regret their passing 'cos they will never die.
Irrelevant, but they are dead, they just don't know it :p.

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
I'm saddened at the passing of Doc Neeson, it makes me think back to many happy occasions that he and his band were a part of.

I was hit pretty hard by Kurt Cobain's suicide. Just back from a week away touring the Snowy Mountains and ended the trip at my local (naturally enough), the guys there were talking about - I had no idea. For some reason that guy had affected me in a very real way (saw him play live and had all of his music) and that evening was a weird one. The passing of someone I didn't personally know has never affected me like that did, before or since.

I suppose it is linked to the way music touches us on the inside.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,352 Posts
Michael Jackson I enjoy lots of his music but he was a twisted dude and when he died I wasn't sure if I was happy or sad...

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,418 Posts
I reckon the passing of a musician can cause some unrest on a personal level, particularly if they were a major member of the band, or if the band continues without them.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
NP300
16,106 Posts
John Lennon.

Walked into Zijlstraat Haarlem for my morning coffee and bagel and saw the newspaper headlines.

I had to sit down, it was the total end to the age of enlightenment for many people.

What do I mean by enlightenment, what started with Elvis and Co was crystallised through the 60's by many through their music, but it was Lennon who put a face to it. We were not the same as our parents, we thought completely different and while we would show them the respect they deserve we will go our own way.

Unfortunately, it's all gone backwards and people have turned in to sheeple expecting everything for nothing ... And they blame it all on the boomers.

Yes I was in my early teens the 60's ended, but being the youngest of 4 a lot came through. I was a hippy and proud of it ...

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
John Lennon is the greatest loss the music industry has had. I was only a toddler when he was murdered, but I certainly love his music and appreciate how much he's influenced pretty much every musician since the 60's.
The man was a genius and his death was a huge loss to the whole world.

Other great losses: Bob Marley, Otis Redding, Jim Hendrix, Roy Orbison.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John Lennon.

Walked into Zijlstraat Haarlem for my morning coffee and bagel and saw the newspaper headlines.

I had to sit down, it was the total end to the age of enlightenment for many people.

What do I mean by enlightenment, what started with Elvis and Co was crystallised through the 60's by many through their music, but it was Lennon who put a face to it. We were not the same as our parents, we thought completely different and while we would show them the respect they deserve we will go our own way.

Unfortunately, it's all gone backwards and people have turned in to sheeple expecting everything for nothing ... And they blame it all on the boomers.

Yes I was in my early teens the 60's ended, but being the youngest of 4 a lot came through. I was a hippy and proud of it ...
Personally I was not a fan of the Beatles or Lennon although I recognise their and his contribution, but that definitely was one of those "do you remember where you were when you heard times", and I still do, I was sitting at the lights at the corner of Parramatta Rd and Silverwater Rd in Sydney on my way to work for an afternoon shift.

I think musicians have always had an impact on human beings(music soothes the savage beast)
Well maybe not Ted Nugent ;).

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
My brain was in high range earlier - I should not EVER have forgotten the other muso - Jeff Buckley.

I'd read about this guy in OTS (free Sydney music rag of the era) but hadn't heard him, 'Grace' had not hit Australia at that point. At the time I was heavily into music, working as assistant sound engineer in a serious recording studio as a sort of second job, and so was in the habit of setting the VCR to record Rage every Friday night. That Saturday I was doing a hungover half-arsed clean-up of my flat in Rozelle with that weeks tape playing, when this stuff came on that made me stop what I was doing and tune in. It was Buckley, five songs in a row live, and I'd never heard anything quite like it.

So I got that OTS out of the bin and read the article again, and realised I'd missed the bit about him playing in Sydney, in four nights time, at The Phoenician Club on Broadway. I worked my day job across the road from it, in the OTC international exchange building. So on the phone (internet at work but home internet was rare then!) to find that tickets were sold out, but a limited number had been reserved for door sale. I showered at work at 4pm and met my girl Bianca at the door, many people already there, and we got lucky and were tickets 73 and 74. There were only 100 tickets on the door, and 300+ people were turned away.

Amazing show. This quote is on the money:

"You could hear a pin drop," recalled tour manager John Pope. "He held the audience in the palm of his hand. He'd take you on the ride with him. He'd lift you and take you down. He paced his gigs with finesse. When he walked on to a stage, he felt a responsibility, but it wasn't to the audience. It was to something else. God knows what."

From Jeff Buckley - Flowers In Time - Show Details

After the show we lined up to meet him and put our names on his mailing list. When the next tour was announced a year later for Sydney venue The Metro Theatre in Newtown, we got a letter from the fan club to tell us four tickets were reserved for us but would go back into the general pool on date x... needless to say we got our tickets and the spares made up a pretty cool part of our wedding gift to a couple that were good mates of ours, man we made a night of it that night :)

So, a lot of memories associated with that guy.

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
None have affected me like Adam Yauch/MCA loosing his battle with cancer two years ago.

Weirdly enough he died the day of my son's first birthday party and we had Beastie Boys playing in the house all day on the stereo like some sort of final respect. Found out later that evening he had died. A truly great man gone too early.

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
None have affected me like Adam Yauch/MCA loosing his battle with cancer two years ago.

Weirdly enough he died the day of my son's first birthday party and we had Beastie Boys playing in the house all day on the stereo like some sort of final respect. Found out later that evening he had died. A truly great man gone too early.
Well ****, there's another one. Beastie Boys fan from around Paul's Boutique, that's about when I realised the effort they went to in the studio. Saw them in 2006 in the Hordern Pavilion, by accident - wasn't going to go, youngest brother asked me to buy him two tickets, didn't come up with the dough - so one ticket went on ebay (sold for what I paid for it, I hate scalpers) and I went off to the show solo.

I did the same with The Pixies at the first Sydney V-Festival (solo), but surprisingly none of them are dead yet.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
My brain was in high range earlier - I should not EVER have forgotten the other muso - Jeff Buckley.

I'd read about this guy in OTS (free Sydney music rag of the era) but hadn't heard him, 'Grace' had not hit Australia at that point. At the time I was heavily into music, working as assistant sound engineer in a serious recording studio as a sort of second job, and so was in the habit of setting the VCR to record Rage every Friday night. That Saturday I was doing a hungover half-arsed clean-up of my flat in Rozelle with that weeks tape playing, when this stuff came on that made me stop what I was doing and tune in. It was Buckley, five songs in a row live, and I'd never heard anything quite like it.

So I got that OTS out of the bin and read the article again, and realised I'd missed the bit about him playing in Sydney, in four nights time, at The Phoenician Club on Broadway. I worked my day job across the road from it, in the OTC international exchange building. So on the phone (internet at work but home internet was rare then!) to find that tickets were sold out, but a limited number had been reserved for door sale. I showered at work at 4pm and met my girl Bianca at the door, many people already there, and we got lucky and were tickets 73 and 74. There were only 100 tickets on the door, and 300+ people were turned away.

Amazing show. This quote is on the money:

"You could hear a pin drop," recalled tour manager John Pope. "He held the audience in the palm of his hand. He'd take you on the ride with him. He'd lift you and take you down. He paced his gigs with finesse. When he walked on to a stage, he felt a responsibility, but it wasn't to the audience. It was to something else. God knows what."

From Jeff Buckley - Flowers In Time - Show Details

After the show we lined up to meet him and put our names on his mailing list. When the next tour was announced a year later for Sydney venue The Metro Theatre in Newtown, we got a letter from the fan club to tell us four tickets were reserved for us but would go back into the general pool on date x... needless to say we got our tickets and the spares made up a pretty cool part of our wedding gift to a couple that were good mates of ours, man we made a night of it that night :)

So, a lot of memories associated with that guy.

Really cool story mate, it would have been unreal to meet him or even see him live.
Was he a quiet soft spoken fella like I imagine?

I really liked him as a teenager, I haven't pulled out any of his CD's for years.

He played at Raffles here in Perth, I was probably 16, I'm not proud of this story, but I wasn't let in the door coz I was being a drunken idiot.
Still regret not seeing him perform.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Not a huge Country fan but was listening to Rocky Mountain High about 2 hours before finding out John Denver had bit the dust.
Waylon Jennings, always had this admiration for the guy, maybe the rebel I wanted to be.

And....Karen Carpenter, a voice of silk. Still listen to her LPs.

They and many others remind me of the great [and sometimes sad] times in my life.

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
1,918 Posts
I was brought up listening and enjoying a wide variety of music but I mostly like rock n roll I haven't been to many concerts but I was glad I went to see John Denver around 1994 in Newcastle about 3 yrs before his death. Marc Bolan 'T-Rex' is another favourite of mine I was only a kid when he passed on another great talent lost in his prime.

1 - 20 of 488 Posts