Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my GQ I brought just over a month ago. I'll be recording the progress as I build it up to a point where I think it is done... But we all know that will never happen. :D

1997 GQ RX with 2.8TD

As I picked it up:

Came with a heap of extras as well as a very detailed service history (receipts for the past 10 years...) so I can't see it giving me any trouble.

Came with

• ARB Bullbar + Scrub Bars/Side Steps
  • 2" OME Lift Kit
  • IPF Spotlights
  • Front Mount Intercooler
  • Dual Battery
  • Long Range Fuel Tank
  • 27MHz Radio and UHF Radio
  • Aftermarket headunit
  • Cargo Barrier
  • Drawer System (By Outback 4WD Interiors)
To Do List:

• Bigger Tyres- 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ.
  • Bigger Lift- not neccessary at the moment
  • Compressor (and maybe air tank) under rear seat
  • Diff locks front/rear
  • Roof rack
  • Rear worklight
  • Gauges (Pyro, Boost...)
  • Replace bearings in gearbox- do clutch etc at the same time.
Hopefully once I have some more money behind me I'll be able to get it done.

Thanks for looking,

Brett

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
Looks great, Brett. Very clean. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorta lazy and haven't really updated much, and have even fewer photos.

This is how she sits right now:

List of what I've done:

Gave the old girl new shoes- just bighorns on black steels. Put new flares on using the rubber that Clarke Rubber sells.

Purchased a Tigerz11 Roofrack and rear awning. Still waiting on the side awning. Once i have them I'll work on putting some LED strips below them for camp lighting.

Cleaned the spotties up- they were covered in... something green :\ Now they are black and almost shiny chrome; abeit rusty in places.

Installed an ARB compresser from my previous 4WD.

Replaced the factory sealed headlights with new reflectors + phillips globes. Also made a new loom for both headlights and replaced the wiring for spotties as it seemed a little... sketchy and small for 130W Globes.

Installed a Provent.

Replaced the crappy old speakers.

Installed a pillar pod, currently has an Autometer Boost gauge. The other hole will house a pyrometer when I get around to buying one and getting a new exhaust.

Relocated the small UHF in my second din slot to under the dash on the drivers side, and put my old Uniden in there to fill the gap.

Fixed the 27meg aerial had a bit of a play- usless for anything but playing.

I'll try dig some photos up later. :)

Cheers,

Brett

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Nice, good to see someone getting into the RD28's. They're pretty good if you treat them with some love.

What's the gearbox doing to you? I had mine rebuilt 12 months before I put a TD42 in, you'd want to sit down for the price...

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gearbox was a little noisey (whining)- aparantly is the thrust bearing. It is also has that rattly noise in neutral. No idea if it has a heavy duty clutch or what's going on there. My friends patrol had the same noise, so I'm not overly worried right now, but it is on my list to get fixed. That and the bloody death wobbles!

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking GQ mate, it's coming along just nicely. The tyres look great on it. It sits really well.
Cheers
Troy
Thank you!

Is the 2.8 really fuel economical?
Next time I fill up I'll get an actual figure for you. I found the 33's did not help, so I have switched down to some 32" Discoverer AT3s (They're also a lot thinner) to help with economy round town (which is where she stays most of the time). I kept the bighorns as play tyres though :D

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Looking good! The black wheels really suit the dark red / burgundy paint work

Interested to see what economy figures you're getting with your 2.8.

Mine (in a GU) with 33"s and a bit of weight / chip yields around 13.5/100 but I think the GQ might be a tad lighter which will help!

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went away camping to Neurum Creek Bush retreat for a few days early last week which gave me a chance to test everything I've been putting on in the past 12 or so months. I haven't had a single chance to go camping and have only been offroad once or twice in that time, but on the plus side, I start a new job next week which will free up my weekends- Bring it on!

Few pics from camping thanks to my iPhone and it's panorama function which I love...

Camp site Setup

View from the the top of hill behind our site.

The last day wasn't the best as the isolator died or was faulty (not sure, whole setup is getting replaced) and as I drew my already dying second battery a bit too far, it drew from the main as well thus killing it. I managed to charge the main battery on solar just enough to start her (just, it was alternating between sun and rain) then straight to my closest Supercheap to grab myself a new battery. Then after replacement I drove all the way back to Neurum Creek to do the Dirty Weekends drive (in reverse) through the D'Aguilar National Park. Some spectacular scenery and being a week day... not a soul for miles. It is well worth a look.

I logged the whole trip on my GPS as well just for a bit of fun. Pictures:

GPS Log:

First floodway (and the best)

First stop- The Rocky Hole. Looks like a great swimming hole in summer

More Rocky Hole

The Gantry Day use area (Lunch stop)

More of the Gantry. It is huge!

Kluvers Lookout was the highest point in the drive, at 690m.

The worst economy I've had in the past 6-12 months was around 16L/100 and my last tank saw 13.2L/100. That was being laden up for camping and doing the hilly drive. Already I can see the difference with how far a tank gets me, which is all I'm after since it is my daily driver.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
What a great trip Brett, Jealous.
Interested to see what my new fuel figures will be - changed the air filter for the first time since owning the car (bought it in December) and wow what a difference, EGTs are 10% lower throughout the rev range, Boost rockets up to 13-14psi, and bugger all black smoke.

You'd have to be happy with 13.2 loaded up!

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely happy with the 13.2! Next project is to put the ZD30 airbox in and once that's done I can look at putting a bigger battery tray so I can fit a good 100AH deep cycle rather than the piddly, little, usless 50AH that's in there right now. With how cramped it is at the moment, I can't see me fitting much more in that engine bay.

Brett

1 - 18 of 18 Posts