Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I’ve been a member here for quite some time (mainly doing research and drooling over all the amazing trucks on here), have always wanted a GU wagon. I finally ended up buying one and have now decided to put my own build up.

I looked around for a well-priced, good condition Patrol wagon for quite some time until I finally bought a 2010 ST from down in Melbourne. I flew down, had a quick test drive and got straight on the road back up to North Queensland. You wouldn't believe the condition this truck was in for something that was almost 4 years and 130,000km old. Here she is from the CarSales Ad.

So for a couple of months I did immense research and read as much of this forum as I could. SOO Much great information here! Love it. So after fully planning my list of mods, I started. First thing was sorting out the absolutely atrocious reverse lights. I import quite a lot of Aurora led lights direct and thought I would give their 4x10w Cree Flush mount Flood Lights a go… WOW, they are bloody bright!

Then I pulled the trigger on an ARB deluxe Bullbar with fogs. And now with a bull bar, next in line was front end illumination. This started with 3 x 96w LED Spotlights (ARB replica) which I imported as well. As well as the GME AE4706 Black UHF Antenna. This is mated to a GME TX3520 remote head UHF which is mounted on the factory roof console right behind my WOODIZZ roof console switch plate.

I love the fact that the new GME TX3520 has a rear mic input on the main body. It leaves the roof looking crisp and I don’t have the stupid mic cable swinging around in the breeze. Still haven’t mounted the hand piece properly yet.

After this came the 30” Aurora Combination Light bar mounted on top of the bull bar and the genuine ‘Patrol’ bonnet protector (not sure that I need it much anymore though).

It was about this time that I got a few packages in the mail to make my truck sound nicer (inside, not out).

This is new vs old… :D

The doors got the full Dynamat treatment (both skins) and in went the speakers. Still have to do some fiberglass work to get the tweeters mounted where I want them, just need some spare time. This is a pic with only half of the job finished (didn’t get any pics of them fully completed as it was about 3 in the morning and I was over it).

As I was installing the amps and speakers I noticed that the person who had installed the in-dash DVD player who was supposedly a professional had left a god almighty mess with the wiring and had removed the pre-outs for the amplifiers. So luckily enough I had a spare new 7” DVD player sitting in my garage so I chucked that in and re-wired the whole show up.

Continued...

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I then got a custom built flat aluminium roof rack made up and powder coated, mounted with a mounting kit from Tigerz11. I mounted my Austrack RTT to that as we were going to Straddy for New Year’s.

A blue top Optima Battery then made its home under the bonnet. I will be buying a Yellow top soon as a dedicated starting battery to replace the existing one. The blue top is connected to a 100 amp hour Ritar deep cycle AGM which is temporarily mounted in the rear. Both these batteries run the stereo, spotlights, and any other lighting/accessories including my 80L Trailblaza fridge which is sitting on a MSA DS60 Drop Slide.

I also installed some Sand Grabba floor mats while I was at it. No pics needed here.

I have a 4 point (diffs, transfer and gear box) breather kit sitting here as well, just haven’t had time to install it.

So that’s where she stands to now and how it went to Straddy, it ran like a dream and I am hooked. I still have plenty more planned ahead and as funds build I will slowly be doing more and more mods to turn this into my own remote/tough tourer and weekend 4x4 truck.
The list of mods which I am currently planning from here on out are as follows:-
• 4” Radius Fab Snorkel powder coated black.
• The Wet Seat Neoprene Seat Covers for front and middle row seating.
• Custom Rear drawer setup.
• Custom subwoofer box and amp rack to keep them up high.
• Camping Lighting using Aurora 40w cree dually lights and a light bar on roof rack or extension pole.
• Boost & EGT, Oil Temp & Pressure & Water Temp Pillar Gauges.
• 10” Car PC running Centrafuse, Ozi Explorer and Windows etc with GPS, Bluetooth, OBD reader etc.
• 11XP Runva Winch or if I can find a cheap used warn and get the Mal Leslie treatment.
• Superior Stealth Wagon Rock Sliders possibly.
• Long Range Tank(s).
• 3 or 4” Suspension lift with Superior Coils, King Smoothies, 2” raised front shock towers, Superflex Hybrid Radius Arms and Drop Boxes, 80 series bump stops, superior adjustable extended lower control arms and all the other necessities. (Possibly air bags in the rear if it gets too heavy, which it probably will).
• 35-37” Muddies on Steel rims with 33” All terrains on Standard Alloys.
• Raslaar or Millweld Rear Bar with dual wheel carrier
• Air Tanks with 2 twin cylinder compressors.
• Water Tank(s) with electric pump and extenda hose with hand piece
• Front and Rear E-Lockers (possibly front only to keep LSD rear)
• Re-gear the diffs and possibly strengthen at a later date
• Solar Panels on the Roof Rack
• Eventually upgrade to Recaro’s or similar buckets in the front. (This is quickly getting brought up the list).
• VHF
• Sat Phone
• Camper Trailer
And the biggest item on the list which is hopefully going to be commencing sometime towards the end of this year is a Duramax from SoCal Diesel and a Mike L built Allison 1000 Transmission. Nothing extreme but something that’ll have ample power to pull a camper absolutely anywhere I would like.

Cheers for having a look. If you've got any advice etc it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey symster

I don't really have too many pictures of it yet. Been too busy doing things to it that I haven't had too much time to enjoy it, and now work has started again I think it'll be more of the same. I do have two that we took at Straddy but that's about it as we were the camera car (had the best camera). Here are two of it both arriving at Straddy and with the Roof Top Tent erect.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't wait to get the suspension and tyres done as it looks like a low rider when it's loaded up with camping gear. Slowly but surely it will evolve. Has already come a long way from being a super clean 100% stock town car, but still have eons to go.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
reverse lights

So for a couple of months I did immense research and read as much of this forum as I could. SOO Much great information here! Love it. So after fully planning my list of mods, I started. First thing was sorting out the absolutely atrocious reverse lights. I import quite a lot of Aurora led lights direct and thought I would give their 4x10w Cree Flush mount Flood Lights a go… WOW, they are bloody bright!

Hi mate, I love the reverse lights - do you have any photos of when you fitted them? There is a steel section in behind the plastic bumper, did you need to take the whole bar (and tow bar) off to fit them?
Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Hi Aaron

I don't have any photos (from what I can find on my computer) as they were on my old phone which is now part of the Great Barrier Reef.

Although, what I did to install them was to mark the rear bumper in which location I thought was best suited for looks and performance and then I took the entire bumper off. Not as hard as it seems (just a fair few bolts and it slips off). Then I checked that the rear bumper steel carcass would be able to be cut in the location I wanted (which it was). I then placed the rear bumper back in it's correct location (without bolts) and marked and drilled 4 holes on the corners but slightly in of the part of the light which would recess into the rear bar. This also marked these locations on the steel with the drill bit. I then took the bumper off again and cut these out and did the same with the steel (only cutting it slightly smaller again due to the tapered rear of my light) this was because I have only mounted the lights to the plastic part as there is a small gap between the two pieces.

There was a lot of trial fitting of the lights until I located them in a position I was happy with which included a lot of die grinder work. I was very picky about the location so I re-fitted the bar and lights multiple times before they fitted and sat as neat as I wanted them.

I will have a hunt around my Google account to see if I can find any photos of the steel as I definitely took quite a few and will let you know if I find them.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Update of my poor pootrol

In other news, I haven't done much to my beloved Pootrol over the last year due to a lot of other commitments, and some injuries. I got a new tow toy in a 2010 Can-Am 800 XT-P quad, which is definitely fun.

I also fitted a Radius Fab 4" Black Snork

Some Mick's HID black Projectors and a Runva 11xp Winch

Some 50mm rear and 30mm front coil spacers to re-level the sagged original suspension before I can properly afford a quality 4" lift.

Before

After

I have also installed a yellow top Optima for my starting battery and done some other small electrical work.

Nothing fancy but hopefully more to come very soon.

Also my build priorities have changed a bit, I am now thinking that I would love to dual-cab my patrol soon as I am now using this as my main work truck and need a tray very regularly. Also dragging a trailer around to take the quad everywhere means that either the boat or the quad has to stay home on trips to our beach hut (or my mates have to tow one for me) which isn't favourable.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Looks good. I'd recommend a catch can, a EGR block (illegal for road use though) and the EGT/boost gauges. The factory exhaust causes some crazy EGTs. I did a budget option of replacing the stock exhaust with straight pipe until I could get my full stainless 409 mandrel system. That cut my EGTS allot. The factory cats are so restrictive that the noise was fine. You'll probably have boost issues with egr block and a good exhaust, both a dawes and needle valve is needed.

You may find my build thread to have information which may assist you further with your project, then again you may find my rants utterly boring :) lol

I hope your injuries get sorted. I hate being unwell and not being able to restore my sanity out in the bush. There's some inner primal need we all feed using our trucks and the campfire.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
seanc
Thanks mate, still got too much I want to do, but money is always the major concern as with most haha.

Nullack
Thanks for the info. I have looked into all of the NADs stuff and your own build thread before and know I should do it as soon as possible, but I have always wanted to put a different engine in my beast (and actually bought it with that intention initially), until funds ran low after becoming redundant and I was just hoping this engine eventually dies on me so I 'Have' to do a conversion more so than just wanting to do it haha. ****ty attitude I know, but that's me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts