Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My DIY 3" exhaust system

Hi decide to make my own 3" exhaust system for my ZD30 patrol so i got another dump pipe off of SHREK to use as a template, i then made a turbo flange out of 12mm plate with a 50mm hole in it to suit the turbo outlet the machined it out to 70mm x 6mm to suit the 70mm pipe I'm using as the 3" would fowl on the stud bolt nuts

i then cut a 70mm or 2 3/4 90 degree bend down so it would closely match the standard

I later had to cut the 3" adapter off as it was not long enough to which i made my own my cutting slices down a piece of 3" pipe then clamping them together to make a a opening of 2 3/4

Then i fitted it all up tacked it then checked it before finally welding it

now thats done I'm going to buy a Beaudesert Exhaust tail pipe section in 2 3/4 for a little more clearance around the back then next is to make the rest from the dump back to the tail pipe using a muffler and a flex joint.

more photos to come

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey REOL950
Nice neat job you have done there. With the 3-bolt flange i know 3" will fit on a standard Flange but runs close to the bolt holes like you described. I intend on doing this myself also but instead of where you have machined the flange to take the 70mm pipe i thought of having that machined ring on the other side therefore you could weld it on the inside of the pipe, mill it off flat and die-grind if necessary? This way you leave plenty of room for the bolts instead of the weld fouling the holes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey just as cheap to buy whole exhaust got mine made for 700 fitted by Windsor exhaust in Richmond NSW

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
hey just as cheap to buy whole exhaust got mine made for 700 fitted by Windsor exhaust in Richmond NSW
aarrhh fine, but you didn't have the pleasure of working it out and making it yourself, nothing like the job satisfaction when it all comes together.

·
Registered
173 Posts
hahahaha it's been years since i heard someone say that, but very true you never get the same plesure out of buying something as you do when you make things with your own 2 hands

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes if i wanted to spend $700 - $1200 on a system i could have but since i have made my own camper trailer & remade a bull bar i thought if i have the talent why not a exhaust and their not hard and as others have said i can then say I've done this too.

Went and picked up the tail pipe today and speaking to the guys at Beaudesert Exhaust they said i should include the bracket to the block for the dump pipe so i'll add that in later. The tail pipe is money well spent

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Great job so far mate. What's the tailpiece worth if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
looks the goods.

make it a side pipe and have it sticking out under your side step :)

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Cheers mate. Haven't seen your patrol parked in the carpark at work in a while, you on holidays?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's been a full weekend Saturday saw me fitting all the pipe work up and tack welding it in place the hardest was getting the muffler sitting right and then getting everything fitting up to it.

Sunday was easy just pull it all apart and weld, clean, paint and refit.

Very happy with the way it sits it sounds a little bit deeper and the motor seams to rev easyer will keep a eye OK the EGT's and see if they drop. all up it's cost $405 so now i have some extra cash for a chip.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
Hi reol950,

Very nice job mate. Looks like a professionally built system.

Mine was made in much the same way. On my previous system I used the same tail pipe as you and had a problem with the flange hitting the upper trailing arm bracket of the diff on full flex. I guess it may or may not be an issue for you depending on how it’s positioned. In the end I removed the 3” flange and fitted a pipe clamp and that solved it. Another option is to use v clamps rather than flanges, but they will increase the price considerably.

Well done!

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Well done mate. Any vids of the note it puts out?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Top job mate, looks good!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi a quick update it's been 2 weeks now since the install and no problems with the exhaust the only thing is that i've had to wind back the needle valve as when pushing it hard it was going into limp mode thats all sorted now and EGT temps are down by at least 50- 75 degrees so all good even managed to fit the orignal dump pipe heat shield back on.

Cheers all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts