Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all

been itching to make one of these for a while now, so ill throw some pics up of were im at.
i dont know what car this Pump is off as it was laying on the floor in my shed for a couple of years. but its a rotary type pump no pistons. i get a solid 60 psi when using my drill to turn it. i am yet to check but i tried it on a 33" tyre and i reckon its going to take about 30 seconds to fill it when its finished. final component is a starter motor which i am yet to accuire. anyway will update in a day or two with more progress. oh and dont worry about the bodgey hosing it will be replaced with new items and hooked up correctly im just getting impatient.

and here it is all riced up ready to blow the competition hahaha just some fun.

Sutto

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also it will be solid mounted in the back of the GQ.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
So the idea is to take an AC compressor and mate it with a starter motor instead of going for an endless air belt driven idea? I like it, I've got a reco starter out of a 720 diesel sitting here I could use....

How are you going to lube the compressor?

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats the plan bit of a paint to fit them under the bonnet and this way i can put it in any car, you wanna starter motor that doesnt rely on the alloy bulk head to be centered it must have its own bearings front and back. lube wise im using some good engine oil for know straight in the dischare port hasnt sprayed any out yet.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be fine as long i run a decent cable to handle amps, it wont be running to long if i can get it to do tyres in 30 secs each, we used to use them in billy carts(flat out or nothing) last about 5-10 mins befor the battery needed a charge but never had a problem with motors.:p

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Sutto. Had you thought of shortcutting the starter motor and simply fitting up the air-con compressor to the vehicle engine? I saw a hi-lux back in the 70's which had that set-up under the bonnet with a dashboard operated electric air-con clutch. worked a treat! Cheers, Derb.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Hi Sutto. Had you thought of shortcutting the starter motor and simply fitting up the air-con compressor to the vehicle engine? I saw a hi-lux back in the 70's which had that set-up under the bonnet with a dashboard operated electric air-con clutch. worked a treat! Cheers, Derb.
That style of setup is fairly common, they're known as "end-less air" systems. The problem is they can be a major bitch to fit and you can't easily move them from one vehicle to the next. Plus if you do it wrong you will spit belts.

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
From what I can recall from previous threads on this topic, it was generally considered that starter motors are built to produce high torque, for a short period of time. The consequence of running them for too long isn't only high amp draw, but because they aren't designed to run for long, they will burn out.

As an alternative, what I've seen discussed is winch motors which are a bit more suited to running for a longer period of time, and I assume pulling less amps as less load on (not SURE about THAT- check with auto spark!!)

Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i can see what your saying i guess il find sooner or later,
had it working today had to scrap the alloy frame and rethink my mounting as it nearly flew to bits on me, however i was very happy with what seemed like a lot of pressure and really good flow. now i have all my componets i can plan it a little better. i will be working on it during the week so should have some updats soon.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
My old boss from years ago always told me a starter motor was no good for anything with light loads because it is series wound (this is what gives it its oomph) and it will run at variable speeds to variable load. This can cause it to run too fast and destroy itself when run for any length of time unloaded.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
I would probably try a winch motor instead. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
Ok ive just had an idea!! ive been wanting to do the ac compressor idea for a bit, but didnt want it to just burn out in time. Its just come to me and i think its the ****!!

For about $20 you can get an 'overhead valve lube system' which is popular on cars running LPG. For those who have never head of them they are a bottle with a pickup line in them and have like a bleed screw going into a drip glass, turn the screw and it drips faster it only drips when there is suction on it so even if you use the compressor once a year the oil wont keep comming out.

i wonder if there is a way to get this running into the compressor line without sucking on it too much.

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
Any more info on this setup? I was thinking about something like this a few years ago mainly because I didnt want 2 setups. Wanted a semi portable one to have in my tourer then in my weekend truck aswell.

Not sure how many RPM's you will need, is the A/C usually Geared Up/Down when on the engine? Might be something to consider aswell.

I have a few old 250/300w 24V scooter motors here that have a good amount of torque even when running at 12v, could be a cheap alternative to a winch motor(if they are strong enough)

John

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry all just remembered this post, it has been put on th eback burner for a while, im starting my J pipe turbo setup in the morning so ill throw that when im done.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
Grungles Homepage

have a suss of that ive done it myself and its probably the best thing ive done to my car yet total cost was probably $100 give or take.

And you MUST use a relief valve!!! My pressure switch failed one day and the guage was just bouncing off 150psi no worries and wanted to go more (150psi is my safety relief valve) it is meant to cut in below 60psi and off at 100psi.

Mate has the u-buet tjm compressor and he did his car and i did three i love it air mattresses no worries air tools sweet as love it.

Any more questions please ask cheers charlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts