1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Ando76 My GU IV Buildup so Far"

hi all out there :grin:

thought i'd share a few pics of my build up so far. comments, criticism, advice all welcome.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive tire
this is my 2007 gu st 3.0lt bought 2nd hand with only a tow bar fitted 6 months ago.
sold an 08 hilux i'd had since new with 48k on it with the intention to build up my dream wagon for a 4 mth holiday touring from next july. so far so good apart from minor glitches along the way.
(engine light appearing, mysteriously disappearing a day later??? and a dodgy fact. gps which displayed a blue screen then a test pattern then nothing.)
had 68k on clock with solid service history and was owned by a family in country sa. this was the family bus/shopping trolley. towed occasional camper, overall good buy i thought for 35k. :iconbana:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive exterior
i got nissan to fit the facory black steel bar and snorkel first up, then i hooked up the uhf, hella compacts which are surprisingly bright considering size. keeps the air flow unrestricted up front in hot sa conditions was my theory.
Vehicle Car Center console Auto part Steering wheel
tint and a decent head unit went in next. the factory gps i thought was rubbish and replaced the unit with the flip lid pocket item incl vents either side, from a wrecker for $35. ;) new unit has gps, dvd, cd, usb, sd, and other abbreviations i still don't understand.:doh:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
put in a second battery with redarc isolator which has been flawless from day 1.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Fuel line

Vehicle Auto part Car
at the same time i had passenger side pulled apart for the compressor to go under passenger seat i also re wired the rear aux output to the aux batt providing power with ign off, handy i thought? also put in the plug to suit my trusty fridge next to it.
Yellow Auto part Pipe
50mm lifted old man emu springs all round and bilstiens to match
Auto part Suspension part Vehicle Suspension Car
tough dog rtc steering damper sorted suspension out.
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
with usual castor correction bushes in place. had to trim down front mud guards and insides of the guards a touch when i replaced factory alloys with these 33" black beauties. 16" pro comp steelies wrapped in mickey thompsons finest:punkrock: my favourite mod!! turns a wagon into a beast in my opinion.

on a recent trip to the awesome flinders i disconected sway bars to let it loose and the susp, tyres, worked great. flexed it up with rocky up and down hills and some great tracks on different properties up there.
had left it alone for a bit but was concerned how easily the car ran away from me on, not even steep, descents.
was also chasing a bit more grunt for tough up hill sections and wanted to hear everything work as well as feel it so got the boys at cross country 4x4 to install a few bits i chose carefully.

(thanks for everything grant and co. great job, recommend them to anyone who wants a no crap aproach to what YOU want)

a larger intercooler went in, (there unit)

along with a beaudesert 2 3/4 exhaust which really opens things up.

43% reduction gears went into transfer case which i'm 1 week away from testing back up flinders again so can't comment too much on them as have only done a south east trip involving sand and beach work, not low range.
Vehicle Auto part Fuel line Engine Car
whilst at xc 4x4 i got fitted probably the most important mod for the zd30, a well made catch can, blocked the egr and fitted a dawes valve.

i had no idea about the damage not following such simple mods can possibly cause to an expensive vehicle so that was a no brainer.

future plans will be a larger sub tank only.
working out a way to secure my fridge without using a drawer system, possibly false floor?
hooking up some 285-70/17 all terrain rubber to std alloys so i'm not replacing mtz's $$$$ often.
and in the not too distant future i'll compliment other mods with boost and egt guages mounted in the flip down pocket where fact gps was.

ok, thanks for reading and any helpull advice will be appreciated.:victory:
i love these smiley's.

cheers

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Looks great mate, how do you find the steering dampner?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems to work, havn't really had the wheel ripped out of my hands yet. comfy at 100kph on road too.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Hey Ando, Looks good mate, i like the intercooler. It has a couple of hoses going into it? is it a Water to Air or Air to Air?

I reckon you should break up your text a bit though mate as your story kinda gets lost in the words on the page unfortunately...Or i could just be lazy?

Maybe split the sentences up and place between the corresponding photos for a better effect mate. Or leave it? its your thread hey.

Sorry, Also, pm one of the mods and have this thread placed in the Members ride area where it belongs, likely one of them will see it and move it anyway and put your user name in the Thread title "Ando76 My GU IV Buildup so Far" and you will get allot more interest and it wont get lost in the soup in a week. ;-)

Cheers on the buildup and look forward to seeing more of it.

Cheers MR

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
nice job, like those little hella spotties, got HID in them??, did you have to pay for the spider webs in #4 or were they complimentary - come with the redback sorry redarc????

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE] is it a Water to Air or Air to Air?[/QUOTE]

mudrunner, intercooler is air to air as far as i know mate. will break up thread, cheers. not too cluey with computers, never thought they'd take off like they did...:headwall:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice job, like those little hella spotties, got HID in them??, did you have to pay for the spider webs in #4 or were they complimentary - come with the redback sorry redarc????
ha ha.. hairy black one watching over my engine for me. best watchdog yet! no-one touches stuff under there but me. goes into hiding as soon as the bonnet catch is released.:D

re. spotties, nah mate they're halogen to match the headlights. don't think you should mix hid and halogen all up front?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
given it an edit, took me the afternoon to work it out but hope it's easier to follow now.:withstup: cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
given it an edit, took me the afternoon to work it out but hope it's easier to follow now.:withstup: cheers
Hey Andrew, Thread looks a treat now mate,

give Yom or Jet-6 a pm and they will move it into the Members builds area and if you can, whack you name in the title of the thread mate,

Members Nissan Patrols - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

If you go into the members thread you will see what i mean, nothing worse than going there and someone has a build up thread that is called "New to Forum" or "Newby here" or "My build so far" the title may as well be blank.

-------------------

When you first posted you had a close up pic of your intercooler that is not there now, it showed a couple of hoses coming out the front (12mm or 16mm) one goes down towards the turbo? what are they? Sorry dont know the 3lt well. That is why i thought it might be air to water?

Looks good Andrew, i really like the series 4, i have the same Rock Crawlers on mine, look great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts