Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in a bit of a uncertain frame of mind. I am after a dual cab but I don’t know which one of my Patrols vehicle to chop. I was hoping people on here could help me with the thought process/ ease of work to do so.

First of all I won’t be doing the chop myself, I will be paying someone else to do it for me as I don’t have much in panel beating skills. Although I’m confident enough with mechanical stuff and have my own large shed with a hoist.

Vehicle 1. 1988 Hi-Top TD42 Turbo, Ti Trim, Auto. This is a lovely looking vehicle, it is an Australian issue Patrol i.e 12v not 24v. Very nice and straight no rust and interior is in v.good condition with electric sunroof and windows, difflock, auto hubs. Std height suspension, mostly unmollested.
Most Importantly: it has a Freshly rebuilt Motor to Silvertop specs with New Injectors, 11mm Pump, Boost Comp and New Turbo and goes great

Vehicle 2: Is my TB42e with 200k km. It has a 4inch Lift with Superior everything, as well as a NSW Engineers Certificate for the lift and 33’s. Cabin is also in Great condition with no rust and tidy interior.

Vehicle 3: Is a white Blown RD28 roller that I have been pinching bits and pieces off over the years. Body is in good condition bit of rust around the rear window, paint is a bit chalky with minor surface rust from stone chips and would need a full respray. All panels are intact and nice and straight. Interior is a bit grubby but would come up ok with a good clean

These are my feelings:

1. Hi-Top: I Feel it would be blasphemy to cut such a nice rare vehicle in good condition. However the running gear in it is great being the TD42 Auto combo.
Also I feel it might look a bit silly seeing a hightop cut into a dual cab.

I have only come across 1 picture on the whole web like this:

2. The TB42: I would do and engine and transmission swap with the high top i.e TD42Auto with TB42Auto. And then Sell the now Petrol Hi-Top

OR

2a. Do a Cabin Swap with the hightop after the dual cab chop.

3. Use the Cabin off the Blown RD28 roller for the chop, swap with the hi-top and hope somebody might buy the hi-top cabin from me.

4. Sell everything I have and probably loose about $10K and buy something already done

All comments appreciated

Joe

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
Since your hi roof is Aussie delivered it may be worth a bit more if its stock and unmolested?
It would be to me anyway, I value originality and condition.
Plus hi roof chops look a little iffy, like that MQ above, I think I've seen one other on a GQ and the proportions just look a bit odd.

Since the RD28 is rusty around the rear windows, and needs paint anyway it makes sense to my mind to chop that up as obviously a chop will need to be painted anyway. However is there any other rust on it (Gutters forwards of C pillar, firewall, floor pans, sills etc)? As this will affect the viability of a chop on this body.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Do you want an auto? If not then sell everything and buy a stock TD42 manual wagon and chop that. They are so cheap now. Just keep the good superior stuff off the TB42. Screw turning your backyard into a parts yard.

I cant see the highroof being worth much unless its complete with engine and everything. Swapping the engine or body will ruin any inherent value it might have, and since chopping it will look silly it makes more sense to sell it as is.

·
Registered
nissan
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you want an auto? If not then sell everything and buy a stock TD42 manual wagon and chop that. They are so cheap now. Just keep the good superior stuff off the TB42.
Yeah I could buy a TD42 Wagon and swap the motors with the new built one.

The Hi-Top owes me $20K including initial purchase and engine rebuild.

I don't think I could get my money invested from the motor rebuild if I sold it, I would like to keep it.

To be Honest an Auto or manual would not bother me I like both.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
strip tb48 of most of good gear eg suspension.
chuck some cheap suspension under ut if ya want so not completely stock.
sell all and get a okish td42 wagon and chop I reckon.
anything on any rugs that wont affect thier sell value pull off I reckon.

im looking at chopping my td42 wagon start of next year hopefully. just waiting on my house being built. plus I got a panel beater mate keen to help

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
The Hi-Top owes me $20K including initial purchase and engine rebuild.
That's the wrong way of thinking about it IMO. Plenty of people spend a **** load of cash on a car and have it worth just as much as when they began. Don't become too invested in it.

I'd want an auto, so i'd personally take the superior gear off the TB42, replace with standard from the highroof, then sell the TB42 as a complete running vehicle.

Then i'd take the body off the RD28 and put it on the highroof chassis with the auto TD42 and chop it. Then sell the RD28 chassis and highroof separately - cant see either being worth much though.

Maybe its sad to divide up the highroof but at the end of the day its just a car.

The end result is you get to keep the auto TD42 (RARE!) which you've spent money on.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,185 Posts
I agree with your thoughts on the high roof chop - it doesn't look right. So I would rule out that option.

After that I would use the best body, as in my experience engine swaps or suspension changes are less work than fixing rust. Rust also has a habit of rearing its ugly head a few years later too, so if you are investing good money in a dual cab conversion then to see rust down the track is a real failure.

To do things they way I like them I almost always overcapitalise. But things will be to my satisfaction. If you are paying for work to be done you very well may end up in the same boat. If that is the case then rust will be bad news. Use the best cab. Just my 2c mate. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input guys, after a long time pondering. And after talking to a few guys on here as well as an auto engineer and a good automatic transmission mechanic, I have decided to do the engine swap with a possible auto trans swap/upgrade.

Stay tuned for a build project thread,....

.....as well as a TB42 high-top for sale....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts