Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, my dad was on here a few years ago under "MQ CHRISSO"
Anyway:
Im 15 and just bought my first car!
Its an 84 mk shorty it has really good running gear but a rough body, nothing that we cant fix though :)

It has a rear ARB locker, ARB compressor, Dual Fuel, Dual battery system, it got an engine rebuild 3000 K's ago, at the same time it got all new bushes and springs, Kenwood speakers and head unit and theres a few more things ive forgotten :p

IMG_0068.jpg

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
nice mate, Welcome . Good to see a second generation getting started on here, I believe I remember your father. As you will already know from your old man , there is a wealth of info on here to help you along your way. Hope you enjoy your patrol.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
Very nice, looks tidy.
MQ CHRISSO sounds familiar... Was he the bloke with the pink V8 MK?

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, Yeh dad spoke highly of the forum and said how there is heaps of help on here and everyone is willing to help you out :)

Haha yeh thats it james, It was the red one with a 308 in it, it used to lift the front wheels off the ground at the traffic lights haha

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha yeh it has all the good running gear, the two front panels are dented and theres a bit of rust, nothing to bad to fix :)

thanks mate It'll be enjoyed thats for sure :)

Heres a few more photos of it :)

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's nice man! what do you think of the locker? definitely worth it?
Hey mate,
Im not sure yet haha

its only been driven on and off the trailer

It works, but i havent been 4x4ing yet

I'll let you know as soon as i have used it though :)

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

i need some new seats to pass a roady, i was thinking of something like a later model jeep/suzuki kind of seat so it still folds foward for people to get in/out of the back and is still comfortable and a bit better then the standard nissan set..

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach and what did/didnt work?

Or maybe even a hatchback style seat? Im not to sure, im just wondering what will/wont fit and what others have tried! :)
I'll be heading to the wreckers probably next week to what i can find :)

Cheers guys

Ps. im going to try and keep this thread as a build up thread of the shorty and the progress we make over the next few months :)

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Be careful of the height you have to work with. Mine are Crummydore seats in the Boulder (MK) are too high and wouldn't pass an inspection. Also you can't alter the original mounts or runners on the receiving vehicle. You must work above these and not alter the originals. If you do you'll require engineering cert on the seat mod.
My Subaru seats in the big grey (GQ) were welded onto the original mounts and once reading the mod on the list the inspectors were really interested in how I mounted them, when I told them the original runners and mounts were retained they didn't even glance at the inspection. They only just passed for height on the road test though.
Look for seats that have a really small profile from the available base to the seat position.
There's some more on my MK seats in this thread.
Cheers
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/boulder-joined-mk-following-205602/

·
Registered
nissan
257 Posts
I got Supercheap Auto bucket seats, $99 each, and had them fitted and compliance plated at the same time by the same guy. He made the mounting plate that fastened them to the original runners, so there were no legality issues.

Bit narrow in the arse area for me, but they keep you in place when the going gets a bit rough :D

And for some reason the passenger side seat is further forward than the drivers side, which means you can't actually get in the back from the drivers side at all. But as it's only the kids who climb in the back it's OK. Very tight fit though, the flared shoulders of the seat only just fit in and make getting the seatbelt a bit of a chore sometimes :)

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I have a set of ba falcon ute seats my patrol they flip forward a bit to access the seats I made some flat bar welded to my rails And then the falcon seat bolts to it . Looks almost factory from underneath . Height wise there not bad but I gave suspension bases so I get away with a taller seat. Extremely comfortable .

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh awesome, cheers guys, i'm hopefully going to get down to the wreckers in the next week or so, then ill let you know how i went and what i ended up getting :)

Cheers guys

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
Interesting reading about seats and getting over puts.
I've put xr6 seats in my GQ, made mounts that bolt to original runners and mounts then to seat, so this will pass??

But I digress wicked car mate, the old MK shorties, absolute awesome cars with buckets of character.
Up there with land rovers it reckon, but more comfy and better in nearly every way.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info guys,
Im thinking probably a set of xr6 seats or later model bucket seats...

I got a bit more work done on the weekend, i put a set off 33" BF Goodrich's on (the original KM)
The UHF wasnt working so i took the best part of the morning to re-trace the wiring and to find out what was wrong, so i got that all sorted and also got the heater/air con working :)

Also there was another proud moment, dad got his ranger bogged to the diffs and the patrol was there to rescue him haha

muddies first on.jpg

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Interesting reading about seats and getting over puts.
I've put xr6 seats in my GQ, made mounts that bolt to original runners and mounts then to seat, so this will pass??

But I digress wicked car mate, the old MK shorties, absolute awesome cars with buckets of character.
Up there with land rovers it reckon, but more comfy and better in nearly every way.
Hi Boyd. My engineer described to me that the original mounts and body bolts must remain and the original runners must remain, however above that can be modified. On mine I welded the frames to the top of the original runners and passed.
Cheers.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Also there was another proud moment, dad got his ranger bogged to the diffs and the patrol was there to rescue him haha
^^^Good feeling hey!
That hardtop is coming together nicely. Nothing like wheeling around in you own handiwork.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^Good feeling hey!
That hardtop is coming together nicely. Nothing like wheeling around in you own handiwork.
Cheers

Haha yeh it awesome, thanks mate, its still a long way off finished haha
Its going to be a mission in itself to get it on the road before any serious mods :/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts